PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

In dire need of help... or a kick up the bum

Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
Mimi_Arc_en_ciel Posts: 4,831 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 29 July 2014 at 5:23PM in Old style MoneySaving
I'm just reviewing my finances and the food shop has come onto my radar!

I'm spendiong anything up to £70 a WEEK (Which is ridicous because the kids dont eat at home 3 times a week!!!)

I'm doing WW, I'm trying to meal plan but I've got waste at the end of the week so I'm going wrong somewhere!

Realistically speaking, how much should i be spending on me and 2 girls?! (Eldest will qualify for the free school meals in sept)

Any wise words on how to sort things out?

Thank you

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'd look at reducing it a little bit at a time so it is not everything changing at once.. the first place I'd start is brands... start at the cheapest item.. if you don't like it up to the next cheapest and so on until you find a version you do like.

Where is your waste? What do you throw in the bin?.. don't buy it! or buy it as you need it.. it is salad for me.. I don't eat it so a lot goes to waste as I do dinner.. I buy on the day I want to use it or it gets binned.

cut down on treats or buy cheaper versions and have smaller portions.. you don't NEED to eat a whole tub of ice cream in one sitting ... she tells herself :p!! Many cheaper versions are just as nice or even better!

Forage.. blackberry picking, mushroom gathering etc is a good place to start.

Making your own desserts are often cheaper and much tastier.

scavenge the reduced sections.. if you don't buy it then it is binned.. don't be shy!

reducing the amount of expensive stuff you buy, meat, organic etc.. it depends how far you are willing to go!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • pigpen wrote: »
    I'd look at reducing it a little bit at a time so it is not everything changing at once.. the first place I'd start is brands... start at the cheapest item.. if you don't like it up to the next cheapest and so on until you find a version you do like.

See I dont buy ALL branded stuff - but the brands we HAVE to have are Heinz beans and Cola - I use moneysupermarket too to compare

Where is your waste? What do you throw in the bin?.. Recently it was Bread, Potatoes, Mushroms and various bits of Veg that had all gone furry! weather isnt helping!

The lettuce was "saved" - Well, the rabbits had it!
    don't buy it! or buy it as you need it.. it is salad for me.. I don't eat it so a lot goes to waste as I do dinner.. I buy on the day I want to use it or it gets binned.

cut down on treats We dont have a lot of "treats" - The girls get "barny bears" (£1) and I have popcorn (£1) but we dont really eat crisps etc or buy cheaper versions and have smaller portions.. you don't NEED to eat a whole tub of ice cream in one sitting That said ^^ I did buy some ice cream and cones (Girls were forever asking for one from ice cream van!) but its lastine a while (Ice cream is tesco value, cones are askeys but were on offer)... she tells herself :p!! Many cheaper versions are just as nice or even better!

Forage.. blackberry picking, mushroom gathering etc is a good place to start. We do go blackberry picking, I darent do mushrooms, I'd kill us!

Making your own desserts are often cheaper and much tastier. Again, rarely have dessert, if we do its on a sunday and we usually make cupcakes using ingredients already in the store cupboard

scavenge the reduced sections.. if you don't buy it then it is binned.. don't be shy! We do this already but i think they have changed the timings of when they reduce because havent got anything good recently!

reducing the amount of expensive stuff you buy, meat, organic etc.. it depends how far you are willing to go!

See on paper I'm doing everything "right" but it just isnt working - I tried to keep a shopping diary but flunked, i even take a shopping list with me!!

I'm wondering whether to set a budget, then try and stick to it. I usually pay for my shopping on card but i wonder whether i should put money in my purse then when its gone, tough

At mo:

Me: Every day i have a yogurt for breakfast - I have the muller light ones. I KNOW there are cheaper ones so need to look into this to see what will suit my needs (Weight watchers!)

Every lunch / dinner i eat at home, except on a Tues, Wed and Thurs when i eat lunch at work. I've been buying ready meals (2 for £4 so i know i can drop these)

The girls eat at home on a Monday, Friday Sat and Sun so they dont need a lot!

I know a lot of my shopping is impluse buys (Started to take my mum shopping on a Monday, my shop day is a thursday...... being swayed!!)
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm doing WW, I'm trying to meal plan but I've got waste at the end of the week so I'm going wrong somewhere!

Its buying more where you are going wrong ;) I'll explain, :D this being a money saving site. First off don't spend a penny. Instead when you make your shopping list, first off, list the days of the week that you need dinners for.

Be realistic, if everyone goes to 3 different places on a Wednesday and has to be there for 6.30pm don't think you are going to cook a dinner. :) This is where that meal could go to waste. Plan a bacon and cheese sandwich for instance.

Then look what you already have in the cupboards and see what meals you can make with what you have and what fits in with existing plans.

Then, lets say you have narrowed it down to needing 3 dinners. So then go to the supermarket and see what is on offer. Write on your shopping list "3 dinners" rather than X Y Z ingredients which as you say goes to waste.

If you don't mind me asking as other people will too, how old are your children, sorry I know you said about free school meals but me not having children, well that means nothing to me :o The only reason I ask is a 3 year old eats less than a 14 year old with hollow legs. :) I know that much!

If lunch boxes are involved forget 'snack pack' things. My OH takes dried fruit and nuts for his afternoon snack. I buy a bag of plain nuts and a bag of mixed fruit. Mix them up and put an handfull in a food bag each day.

As for cutting down, as Pigpen said try the downshift challenge, if you buy brands try the one below. As for cutting down lets say this week you spent £70 try to eek it out this week to £65 and see how you get on. If you go to £68 then try to come in at £67 the next week.

Hope that helps.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    take cash when shopping.. leave the cards at home.. and voucher hunt.. it adds a whole new perspective!

shopping online helps me.. none of those impulse buys..

and sites like approved foods.. love that site
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Crossed post.

But I just wanted to point out a couple of things I noticed.

Freeze your bread and take out as many slices as you need at a time. We freeze half a loaf at a time. Mushrooms can be frozen before they go floppy. They will be perfectly okay for cooking with once defrosted. (Texture wise I mean) Also freeze the veg before it goes floppy. Or if its root veg make a batch of soup for your lunches you can use the potatoes as thickener as well.
  • Linda32 wrote: »
    Its buying more where you are going wrong ;) I'll explain, :D this being a money saving site. First off don't spend a penny. Instead when you make your shopping list, first off, list the days of the week that you need dinners for.

Be realistic, if everyone goes to 3 different places on a Wednesday and has to be there for 6.30pm don't think you are going to cook a dinner. :) This is where that meal could go to waste. Plan a bacon and cheese sandwich for instance.

Then look what you already have in the cupboards and see what meals you can make with what you have and what fits in with existing plans. << Do this bit already :)

Then, lets say you have narrowed it down to needing 3 dinners. So then go to the supermarket and see what is on offer. Write on your shopping list "3 dinners" rather than X Y Z ingredients which as you say goes to waste. See but surely that contridicts the food shopping list and meal planning?

If you don't mind me asking as other people will too, how old are your children, Only little - 7 and 3 sorry I know you said about free school meals Law changed, all years up to year 2 get free school dinners from Sept :)but me not having children, well that means nothing to me :o The only reason I ask is a 3 year old eats less than a 14 year old with hollow legs. :) I know that much!

If lunch boxes are involved forget 'snack pack' things. No lunchboxes, just my 3 meals at work My OH takes dried fruit and nuts for his afternoon snack. I buy a bag of plain nuts and a bag of mixed fruit. Mix them up and put an handfull in a food bag each day.

As for cutting down, as Pigpen said try the downshift challenge, if you buy brands try the one below. As for cutting down lets say this week you spent £70 try to eek it out this week to £65 and see how you get on. If you go to £68 then try to come in at £67 the next week.

Hope that helps.

Comments are in red :)

The shopping can be anything from £50 - £70 (Last week it was £70)

I wonder whether to try and drop it to £45 this week. If, for example, I can drop the money, what do i do with the "spare" money? piggybank it?
    pigpen wrote: »
    take cash when shopping.. leave the cards at home.. and voucher hunt.. it adds a whole new perspective!

shopping online helps me.. none of those impulse buys..

and sites like approved foods.. love that site

I think i need to carry cash on me, im notorious for never having any in my purse
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    See I dont buy ALL branded stuff - but the brands we HAVE to have are Heinz beans and Cola - I use moneysupermarket too to compare

That's a big part of the problem - cola isn't a have to have at all, elt alone branded, regardless of whether you're comparing prices. Value beans, or shop's own brand beans are absolutely fine - if you want to cut your shopping bill, this is the reality of it.

Freeze fruit or veg on the turn, I put bread in the fridge if I think it'll turn mouldy and use it for toast from there.

I make homemade soups for lunch - costs very little and feeds us well, or we take leftovers.
  • hoglet121 wrote: »

That's a big part of the problem - cola isn't a have to have at all, elt alone branded, regardless of whether you're comparing prices. Value beans, or shop's own brand beans are absolutely fine - if you want to cut your shopping bill, this is the reality of it.

Freeze fruit or veg on the turn, I put bread in the fridge if I think it'll turn mouldy and use it for toast from there.

I make homemade soups for lunch - costs very little and feeds us well, or we take leftovers.

No it isnt a "have to have" but considering I dont drink much else other than coffee / cola / dilute i prefer to have the decent cola. I tried the 19p cola, its only good for washing toilet bowls out with :)

And yes, value kidney beans, black eyed beans etc

Baked beans? No - I dont like the value ones (Tried them)

Its not that i am being a snob - I HAVE tried the value stuff for cola / beans, i dont like them.
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Hi
    What sort of thing are you buying then ?

As you say you're doing weight watchers I wonder whether you're buying things like packs of chicken breasts ? Things like that always work out expensive so maybe you need to think about ww friendly recipes that use cheaper ingredients ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Re your yoghurt breakfast I buy a large pot of value low fat yoghurt (about 45p) and its in the fridge.If I want it as a dessert then I will add chopped up fruit to it, or I use it in cooking ,curries etc.Mueller yoghurt with the corners are just too darned expensive I have several small empty yoghurt pots.so I know what 125 gms look like when I am dishing it up (roughly two tablespoonsful)You can mix any fresh fruoit chopped up in it Last night I had some diced up grapes mixed into a small pot as a snack when I came home from the local pub quiz.But I have also chucked a spoonful of honey and some sultanas in a potful or virtually any fruit you like.A small satsume/clematine (YS of course) peeled and diced gives you a lovely orange yoghurt.Why spend £3.00 plus for 8 fruity yoghurts when 45p and a search in the cupboards will do the same thing :):):)
    If you want a bit of 'crunch ' add a small handful of scruched up corn/bran flakes along with the fruit, or even a small bit of weetabix crumbled up.I also use the small empty yoghurt pots when I make up a jelly for a measure.In the supermarkets jelly is sold at silly prices made up into small pots with bits of fruit in it .You can buy a hartleys jelly for about 50p and make lots of it up with a pint of water.If you haven't got any empty pots just use a cup/mug you can leave it in the fridge and snack on it if your feeling peckish (good for W'watching instead of expensive WW biscuits or treats.WW is in the business to make money I try to replicate what they sell by a bit DIY cooking .Cheaper than their stuff thats for sure.:):):)
    I also only ever use cash for shopping and steer clear of shopping as much as I can.Just sto going so often and make sure you stick to a list Try the Fiscal Frugal forum bit on here for more ideas.I have only been to the shops once this month so far.True I live alone but once you get into the mindeset of not frittering cash away its suprising how easy it is to hang onto your pennies I save my left over loot in a 'holiday fund tin' for the family holidays and treats for my grandchildren :):):) come over to the 'dark side ' and join us there we are quite a matey bunch :):):)
    Cheers JackieO xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport