Calling 0844 & 0871 numbers via three mobile

hillendale
hillendale Posts: 313
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Is it possible to make calls to 0844 & 0871 numbers from a Three mobile phone ( pay as you go ) or do they block these numbers ,if it is possible does anyone know what the cost per minute .
The reason i need to call these number is that they are access numbers for calling french landlines & mobiles .
Many thanks if you can advise .

Comments

• agsnu
    agsnu Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    General prices are here: http://www.three.co.uk/customer/linkdocument.omp?cid=1089021441077

They may block or charge differently specific "access numbers" to avoid people attempting to circumvent their actual price structure.
  • Alchem
    Alchem Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi Hillendale,
    I wish I'd checked on the forums before using an 0844 access number. I have a monthly contract with 3G and call a friend in the US daily. I did a little bit of reading up before and was encouraged by the assertion that inclusive monthly minutes go towards these calls. However agsnu is right, 3G (at least) charge for any call starting with 08 though other mobile providers may be different. Oh well....my own fault for not checking but I now have a £156 phone bill.
  • Alchem
    Alchem Posts: 3 Newbie
    forgot to say I also have a pay as you go with 3 and using the 0844 was no problem.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    3 have an International Saver add-on costing £15 a month which would have allowed you make up to 3000 minutes a month of calls to USA and about 20 other countries

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/callingmessagingintlsaver.omp
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Alchem wrote: »
    3G (at least) charge for any call starting with 08 though other mobile providers may be different. Oh well....my own fault for not checking but I now have a £156 phone bill.

Just to clarify, 3G is a technology, not a company.

All of the UK networks utilise 3G, I think you are probably referring to the network called Hutchison 3G UK, more commonly known as 3 or 3UK.

And, in fact, all UK networks charge for 08xx calls outside of allowances on all current price plans.
    ====
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    d123 wrote: »
    And, in fact, all UK networks charge for 08xx calls outside of allowances on all current price plans.

I dont think their is a network that allows you to call 08 numbers out of your allowances/inclusive minutes,unless you know different.:D
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I dont think their is a network that allows you to call 08 numbers out of your allowances/inclusive minutes,unless you know different.:D

No, I agree with you. Perhaps I wasn't totally clear, I was trying to say all the networks charge for 08xx and they are not considered as part of any call allowance.
    ====
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    hillendale wrote: »
    Is it possible to make calls to 0844 & 0871 numbers from a Three mobile phone ( pay as you go ) or do they block these numbers ,if it is possible does anyone know what the cost per minute .
    The reason i need to call these number is that they are access numbers for calling french landlines & mobiles .
    Many thanks if you can advise .

10p per minute in the 3G area, 15p per minute in the 2G area (orange)

Remember 3 charge the same rate for all these calls, so there is no point using a cheaper number than 0871
  • rash.m2k
    rash.m2k Posts: 976
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Unless ofcourse you use saynoto0870 to find 0870 alternatives. That way it will come out of your minutes and not charge you.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There's no point in looking for alternatives for 0844 and 0871 callthrough numbers, which is what is wanted here.

For modest use of int'l calls, use something like a 18185 or Voipcheap or Justvoip account, where the ordinary landline access number comes from inclusive minutes. For loads of calls to landlines, 3's International Saver option as I already suggested
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure