Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Comments

• whattochoose
    whattochoose Posts: 690 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 March 2017 at 9:59PM
    footyguy wrote: »
    Really?

In 2015 (last year accounts have been produced for) Ebico only had 7 employees, 4 of which were directors.
    (There has since been one extra director appointed)

In contrast, in 2014 they had 10 employees including directors.

I don't know who you might think Laura's manager is, but I recall in the past when I raised an issue that could not be answered by Laura, the matter was escalated directly to the MD to provided me the answer.

So if Phil is clueless on your question, them I fear you won't be getting an answer

Good luck!
    Yes, I'm sure you're right, thinking about it.
    I pay £5 a month at present for my gas supply from SSE/Ebico.
    While I would never disregard any added discounts, losing 5% discount per annum on £60 is not something that worries me unduly, especially if it means I am able to check my gas and electricity from the one place - my SSE online account, which up to now, along with service, I have found to be perfectly satisfactory.
    That said, I'll await SSE getting back to me about my query regarding the "legacy" account and will let members know asap.
    I was referring to SSE.
    Good luck!
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I recall that Ebico used to charge what they liked and then SSE insisted Ebico had a charging structure tied to SSE's base prices. This is why Ebico's prices have barely moved. IE They are tied to SSE's standard pants rate.
    I think this is behind Ebico's tie up with RHE over a new PPM tariff.
    The hunt for a better tariff for the poorest energy users was a worthy goal from Ebico, although I note some on this thread aren't impressed.

It seems likely that SSE has taken the opportunity to jettison Ebico at short notice. 60,000 customers who are low users must not generate much profit for SSE after Ebico takes a cut. If correct that does explain why no one knows whats going on. It was only about 9 days ago that Ebico were saying the relationship with SSE wouldn't change. Both companies have been caught out by the change. In these circumstances RHE has done a pretty good job of picking up the pieces and Ebico have done a pretty good job of getting letters out to their customers laying out their options (I had mine last Friday). Think of how some companies need months to do anything and just over a week certainly compares favourably.

I'm definitely still on Ebico's side in all this.

Finally a word on legacy accounts. I have a legacy savings account with my bank and its a joke 0.05% interest. All legacy (AKA zombie) accounts go the same way and so will SSE's no standing charge tariff. Prices will rise. Mark my words.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Xbigman wrote: »
    I recall that Ebico used to charge what they liked and then SSE insisted Ebico had a charging structure tied to SSE's base prices. This is why Ebico's prices have barely moved. IE They are tied to SSE's standard pants rate. ...

SSE have never directly controlled the price that Ebico set for it's Equipower & Equigas tariffs.

Ebico bought their energy from SSE at an undisclosed price and set their own tariffs accordingly.

Of course, as SSE were supplying all the energy, then there was always an indirect effect on the price Ebico could set/retain.

I think you are confusing the fact that Ebico decided alone some time ago, in an attempt to bring some stability to their prices (which are variable tariffs) that they would only review their prices following a price change by SSE.

Makes sense if you think about it. SSE supply the energy. Unless SSE change their price to Ebico, why should Ebico change it's prices? Ebico is a not for profit organisation.

Ebico said this was to help consumers. Ebico said those in fuel poverty wanted price stability as far as was reasonably possible.

So, despite SSE changing it's prices many times in recent years, following review Ebico often elected to keep their prices static.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I got the letter last week, did the online thing on Friday and received an email on Monday morning confirming that my online account has been set up.

I can't however log in with my email address and password, and I can't reset it because my email address is not recognised.

Anyone actually got their online account on the ebico account working yet? Perhaps it isn't actually up and running yet.

Running their own online billing is a huge sudden step for them - I would presume I would have logged in via RHE.

I will give time for the transfer to go through and await info from SSE/RHE as I imagine the tiny Ebico office will remain overwhelmed for a while whilst this extremely short notice shambles sorts itself out.

I love the idea behind Ebico's aims, but they can't deny they have ended up setting up the ideal energy supplier for folks with second homes that are only occupied a few weeks a year - so not the exact target audience of those in "fuel poverty".
  • Received this from SSE...

I am writing to you regarding your Ebico tariff for your gas account.

I can confirm that you will be staying on our Ebico tariff as an existing customer. Although we have withdrawn the tariff from SSE we will still be honouring this tariff for existing customers. The only time that your tariff will change is if you request the tariff to be changed.

So, hopefully matters resolved for the foreseeable future.
  • THX758
    THX758 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Did you go to the ebico website and tell them you want to stay with SSE?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 March 2017 at 1:26PM
    Xbigman wrote: »
    I recall that Ebico used to charge what they liked and then SSE insisted Ebico had a charging structure tied to SSE's base prices. This is why Ebico's prices have barely moved. IE They are tied to SSE's standard pants rate.
    I think this is behind Ebico's tie up with RHE over a new PPM tariff.
    The hunt for a better tariff for the poorest energy users was a worthy goal from Ebico, although I note some on this thread aren't impressed.

It seems likely that SSE has taken the opportunity to jettison Ebico at short notice. 60,000 customers who are low users must not generate much profit for SSE after Ebico takes a cut. If correct that does explain why no one knows whats going on. It was only about 9 days ago that Ebico were saying the relationship with SSE wouldn't change. Both companies have been caught out by the change. In these circumstances RHE has done a pretty good job of picking up the pieces and Ebico have done a pretty good job of getting letters out to their customers laying out their options (I had mine last Friday). Think of how some companies need months to do anything and just over a week certainly compares favourably.

I'm definitely still on Ebico's side in all this.

Finally a word on legacy accounts. I have a legacy savings account with my bank and its a joke 0.05% interest. All legacy (AKA zombie) accounts go the same way and so will SSE's no standing charge tariff. Prices will rise. Mark my words.

Darren

Nice fairy story.

It wasn't SSE which "jettisoned" Ebico. It was Ebico which got themselves a new partner and, according to SSE, broke their agreement with SSE.

Not exactly a "hunt for a better tariff for the poorest energy users" Ebico effectively dumped the poorest customers who were entitled to Warm Home Discount who couldn't have the cheaper RHE tariffs because RHE does not provide Warm Home Discount.

Of course RHE can afford to offer slightly cheaper tariffs: They don't have to fork out £140 a year for those poorest customers who are entitled to Warm Home Discount that SSE has to fork out.

In fact it was SSE who picked up the pieces pledging to maintain the current tariffs for those existing poorest customers.

Lastly in effect and probably in intent too, RHE creamed off the better-off customers who were likely to make them a profit by offering a slightly cheaper prepay tariff and an even cheaper tariff for those customers who have a credit meter and a yet even cheaper tariff for those cusomers who have a credit meter and pay by direct debit than SSE were offering.

Ebico and RHE don't look very good in the poorest customer stakes do they. Personally, if I never hear the names "Ebico" and "Robin Hood Energy" again it will be too soon. Oh yes I'm staying with SSE.
  • THX758
    THX758 Posts: 150 Forumite
    I wonder, will RHE be using the ebico customers as cash cows to offer the cheapest tariffs in Nottingham?
    I used to like the fact that everyone was paying the same, regardless of how they were paying, but that has even changed as well.
  • whattochoose
    whattochoose Posts: 690 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    THX758 wrote: »
    Did you go to the ebico website and tell them you want to stay with SSE?
    I have contacted both Ebico and RHE

I must admit, at the moment I cant help echoing Anthorn's comments.....
    Personally, if I never hear the names "Ebico" and "Robin Hood Energy" again it will be too soon. Oh yes I'm staying with SSE
  • Majestic12
    Majestic12 Posts: 142 Forumite
    I have the Ebico gas and electric tariff at the moment. If I want to keep the tariff do I know just leave it as be and it will be administered and supplied by SSE?

Because the initial letter (and email) received from Ebico says the contrary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure