We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• greenbee wrote: »
    I've just had the tree surgeon round to quote for taking out the dead weeping willow and ash, and doing a whole lot of other stuff. I now need to call the electricity people about shrouding the wires so we can take the willow out, and then we need to work out where the hornets' nest is... they are hanging around about 2ft up the tree so we assume there is one in there somewhere!

They'll be dying off soon enough, like wasps, so I wouldn't have thought it would be that much of a problem, Greenbee - I wouldn't expect a large utility infrastructure company to be almost instant in coming along, so they could all be gone by the time the tree is dealt with.

Dave - yes, it briefly occurred to me. It was largely the blatant trespass and theft that annoyed me - it's not getting a bit from an empty house and overgrown garden/stuff hanging onto the street, it was marching up the front path and picking from the relatively well tended windowbox.

I left the beans a bit too long on the stalk - can I just pop the resulting beans straight into the pot in the hope of a second flush before it gets too cold? Or do I have to let them dry out and try again next spring?

Off out the back to get some more blackberries. I'm just sticking them in the freezer now, as there is no way I can justify making that much jam.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    They'll be dying off soon enough, like wasps, so I wouldn't have thought it would be that much of a problem, Greenbee - I wouldn't expect a large utility infrastructure company to be almost instant in coming along, so they could all be gone by the time the tree is dealt with.

Tree surgeon is back in 4-5 weeks, so hopefully they'll have shrouded the cables by then. If they haven't, I'll get highways onto them - the willow is by the road (over it really) and they have a tendency to drop branches. Fingers crossed the hornets will be gone by then.

I must get out and plant the last of the divided daylilies tomorrow. And I'm hoping it'll dry out enough over the next few days for me to be able to mow as I'm going to be away for work and really don't want to have to deal with much more growth than there currently is... I've also got some strimming to do, but that may end up waiting till the end of the month.

I'm also waiting for a quote for a greenhouse base to be put down, as my brother is going to dismantle a second-hand greenhouse for me. Hopefully it will work. If not I'll have to buy one - but I think i have enough left over from my tax rebate after paying for the trees/hedges to get myself one for christmas anyway :)
  • Spent about an hour butchering one of the roses, as it's got a mega dose of blackspot since I last looked out there a couple of days ago. And it had decided to send up huge shoots - as Himself was washing up, I stood inside the door, whacking the window outside with one (quite a distance) and asking if he'd heard of any meteor showers recently :D
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    hiya peeps...

all I can say is ...im doing sweet fa in 34d and rising :D

the pool beckons :cool2:

take care y'all xxxxxx
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    hiya peeps...
    all I can say is ...im doing sweet fa in 34d and rising :D

You deserve it. :A

I don't deserve to be doing much the same in exactly half of that temperature, but it's peeing-down here! :(
  • Davesnave
    Found a car. :) It's not what I'd choose if I had time and didn't live in the @rse end of the country, but it will do as a stop-gap. Funnily enough, the seller used it similarly: his Jaguar's computer-system went bananas and he needed time to save for the appalling repair bill.

Low mileage, FSH and a reliable brand of MPV was always going to be tricky for around £600......but I got the price down a little. :beer:

She ain't pretty, but she's a goer.... Where have I heard that before? :o
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have had a visit from smething - pinemarten/badger/otter who has snaffled a few hens & pulled most of the tail feathers out of the cockerel who was hiding down in the pool below the first water fall. He was shaken but okay. Happened during the day when we were about but I think it will just keep coming back as I lost a load of little chicks the other week.
    Nature is vicious sometimes.

Had friends staying overnight - on kitchen floor & that was nice but realise that we need to get a move on with building as I would like to be able to offer folks a bit more comfort than the kitchen floor - they'd been camping & didn't like the campsite & it was windy so they felt it was heaven.

Some work done on porch & friends helped us shift a load of wood that had been dropped off at the top of the roadside - so that was great.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear about the hens Choille.

Always useful to get some motivation to get on with building work - particularly when it gets to the stage where you're fairly comfortable and the disruption of starting work again doesn't appeal. I'm quite glad the builder has booked himself back in as this way I need to do something about it. I'll have a couple of weeks to pack up when I get back from my next work trip and then it'll be chaos for a couple of months.
  • Davesnave
    You're right, greenbee. Once the heating's in and some rooms are complete, the urge to push-on fades somewhat. Losing BiL as a source of skilled labour when his redundancy ended prematurely, spurred us to get those drains done last weekend! :o

Hope the cockerel is recovering, choille. There's a price to pay being close to nature as I'm learning at the fishing. Haven't seen the otter again, but saw two kingfishers flying, as if in a race, up and then back downstream again. It was as if they'd said, "Race you to the bridge and back!" :)

Thinking about wasps, it was November before ours died last year. This year I've not found any at all, but we've had visits from hornets. Wildlife seems very localised. I may have said this before, but we've had plenty of butterflies, while people less than a mile away have hardly had any this summer.
  • Davesnave
    Oh well, old car has gone live on the Bay.:j We spent about a day cleaning and tittivating it. The photos look so good I almost don't want to sell it! :undecided

I think it knows. :(

Suddenly, it's started to smell of the previous owner's dog.....:huh:. That was last in it over 5 years ago.

Next, it'll not start..... _pale_

I had that once with a car I was selling to a garage. It refused to go when it had never done that before, ever. I'll admit I lost my temper and hit it with the starting handle (remember those? ok, it was a long time ago...:o) just like Basil Fawty hit his with a tree branch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc

Watching that episode of Fawlty Towers still makes me blush! :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport