Fined £100, then refunded from hm-courts.svs.gov.!? 0 points on gov license check?

Options
joed123
joed123 Posts: 26 Forumite
I paid £100 on 21/12/16 for contravening a red a light and was given 3 points.

I recently had a £100 refund in June from hm courts svs gov.

It seems other people have had this happen but not clear on what the results were.

I have checked the gov website and phoned the DVLA and they say I have 0 penalty points. Could this just be an error with the system?

Would the check that insurance companies do show up my points?

Do you think this is grounds to now not mention the points when applying for car insurance? Tempted to not mention it. Don't want to phone up ticket office in case the ask for the £100 back.

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    joed123 wrote: »
    I paid £100 on 21/12/16 for contravening a red a light and was given 3 points.

I recently had a £100 refund in June from hm courts svs gov.

It seems other people have had this happen but not clear on what the results were.

I have checked the gov website and phoned the DVLA and they say I have 0 penalty points. Could this just be an error with the system?

Would the check that insurance companies do show up my points?

Do you think this is grounds to now not mention the points when applying for car insurance? Tempted to not mention it. Don't want to phone up ticket office in case the ask for the £100 back.

This won't be good news. Did you send off your driving licence? If you didn't, then you haven't kept the conditions of the fixed penalty. This means it will be going to court where if you aren't careful will end up costing you more money.
  • joed123
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    This won't be good news. Did you send off your driving licence? If you didn't, then you haven't kept the conditions of the fixed penalty. This means it will be going to court where if you aren't careful will end up costing you more money.

I can't remember now but no i dont believe so. I only did what the letter asked. I surely would have sent it if it asked. All the letter asked for was to check the details of NIP, that i was the driver and to enter my license no etc. I did that, then paid the fine when next letter came through.
  • joed123
    Options

send off driving license to who?
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Did they not offer you a course? I ran a red light and did like a course for it. Which was an interesting experience.....
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

The letter normally says.

What was the date of the offence? You might have got lucky.

You have no need to tell your insurers anything unless they specifically ask if you have any offences pending.
  • LegendaryMatt
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Did they not offer you a course? I ran a red light and did like a course for it. Which was an interesting experience.....

How exciting was that course then? I'd hope at least as exciting as the speed awareness course where they still insist on using outdated breaking distance measurements to explain why travelling at 80mph on a motorway is an accident waiting to happen and is possibly the most 'unsafe' thing you can do in your motor vehicle.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I can't remember now but no i dont believe so. I only did what the letter asked. I surely would have sent it if it asked. All the letter asked for was to check the details of NIP, that i was the driver and to enter my license no etc. I did that, then paid the fine when next letter came through.

If a speed awareness course was offered, the letter has 3 options:

1. SAC
    2. Pay £100 and take the 3 points
    3. Other, meaning going to court

Option 2 requires you to pay by post, phone or online, and also to send in your photocard licence as proof of identity. (The address is listed in option 2, as you have to send off the form anyway with proof of payment, and include the licence therein). If you didn't do the latter then you might find the NIP isn't complete and you end up with a court case.
  • joed123
    Options
    The letter normally says.

What was the date of the offence? You might have got lucky.

You have no need to tell your insurers anything unless they specifically ask if you have any offences pending.

date of actual offence 10/11/16

insurance quote always asks you if you have any points
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    How exciting was that course then? I'd hope at least as exciting as the speed awareness course where they still insist on using outdated breaking distance measurements to explain why travelling at 80mph on a motorway is an accident waiting to happen and is possibly the most 'unsafe' thing you can do in your motor vehicle.

I've done the speed awareness course, and ironically had to speed to get home as they insisted on us waiting until bang on 12 midday despite us having covered all of the content a good 40 minutes earlier.

The red light course involved me driving an instructors car, with someone else also caught for running a red light, for about 4 hours. She drove for 2 hours, I drove for 2 hours, and basically, this guy observed our driving, gave us tips, and we covered some stuff on why running a red light is dangerous. It was a very odd experience.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »

How much like a course was the experience?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure