changing car tax class disabled to private

my vehicle was a disabled carrier for my father and taxed accordingly,last month he sadly died,however i intend to keep the vehicle for my own use.
does anyone know how to change the tax disc from disabled to private?
should i just let it run down to may?

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    No, don't let it run until May no matter what the temptation.

What you need to do is to tax it at your local DVLA office, not the post office. Fill in the V5 notifying change of keeper and taxation class to PLG and give them that at the same time you're taxing the car. Tell them what you're doing, i.e changing from disabled to PLG and taxing it. They'll do the lot at once in the right order.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Conor wrote: »
    No, don't let it run until May no matter what the temptation.

What you need to do is to tax it at your local DVLA office, not the post office. Fill in the V5 notifying change of keeper and taxation class to PLG and give them that at the same time you're taxing the car. Tell them what you're doing, i.e changing from disabled to PLG and taxing it. They'll do the lot at once in the right order.

Agree, its effectively not taxed at present:eek:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Agree, its effectively not taxed at present:eek:

Agreed, you may end up with a prosecution if you do not do the change quickly.
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    as said you cannot legally use the disabled tax,go to the local DVLA office to you look on this site

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/MotoringContacts/DG_10012974
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • Firstly please accept my condolences on your father's death.

Secondly do as above in relation to changing tax class. If the vehicle was in your late father's name and you are changing it into your name then you also need to submit a letter stating that the registered keeper is deceased and that you are taking over the vehicle.

Also, you need to return the DLA 404 Disabled Tax Exemption certificate that was used to claim free road tax to the DLA in Blackpool, address is on the form.

HTH

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sorry for your loss.
    it is a pain you cant retax at a post office.i bought a car that was on disabled tax and stood in a very long PO queue to find out i couldnt tax it :o
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Sorry, I meant to say sorry too, but was tying to address your initial Q,
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

As a point of interest you can change the taxation class from PLG to disabled at a local post office however they can't do it the other way around.You need to visit a regional DVLA office for this.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

Unfortunately you do need to visit the DVLA to have this changed. The tax is no longer valid as soon as your father passed away and it was not being used for him unfortunately.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure