Views please on £280k investment portfolio

Comments

• Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Type_45 wrote: »
    Why would an amateur think they can beat the markets?
    a) because they don't know any better
    b) because they can -if they're lucky.

Now, why would an professional think they can beat the markets?
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Tcquins
    Tcquins Posts: 65 Forumite
    I'll throw another food for thought into the Mix. Sterling.

You can think about the performance of overseas shares all you like, but whether Sterling appreciates or depreciates against that currency the overseas shares in will often have the main effect on your portfolio performance.

Think about using hedged funds to reduce volatility.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Type_45 wrote: »
    Why would an amateur think they can beat the markets?

Either go with an IFA, or go with a fund such as Vanguard Life Strategy.

Don't waste your time and money trying to do it yourself.

DIY is definitely not a waste of time.....but trying to beat the market is a waste of time for most people. So keep your investing simple and just used trackers. That way you don't need to pay an IFA or worry about beating the market.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • bostonerimus
    Audaxer wrote: »
    Good luck with your investments. I've seen threads where experienced investors have indicated that when investing in large six figure portfolios, you should diversify more widely into assets classes like property and commodities. I presume that is to possibly lessen volatility in the event of a large equity crash, but I'm not sure if it would give you any better returns in the long run.

Owning property is a nice portfolio diversifier and can also provide income from rent. Commodities are too volatile for me so I just stick to equities indexes, bond indexes and my a rental property. I have seven figures in 3 index tracker funds and don't worry about diversity.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 July 2017 at 3:38PM
    One more question... looking at geographic spread of a fund, for example Vanguard80, the various countries/regions rarely add to 100 - here is is about 94%. Where is the rest, given that only a small amount is being held in cash?

Tcquins wrote: »
    Think about using hedged funds to reduce volatility.
    To combine this with bostonerimus' advice, are there good hedged trackers? Vanguard's list doesn't include any.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    One more question... looking at geographic spread of a fund, for example Vanguard80, the various countries/regions rarely add to 100 - here is is about 94%. Where is the rest, given that only a small amount is being held in cash?
    I can't see that exact link as I can't log in as an HL customer...

However, just browsing their site normally and searching for Lifestrategy 80 I can see that HL is only giving a top ten of holdings and country exposures. So, you are right - if you add them up you won't get to 100% coverage of the portfolio unless they only had 10 or fewer holdings or major country exposures.

Just get the proper factsheet off the Vanguard website, or use a free fund data service like Trustnet.com or Morningstar. Certainly on the Vanguard site you can see all the (more than ten) Vanguard funds that it invests in and you can look up those funds and dig down further if you like.
  • bostonerimus

To combine this with bostonerimus' advice, are there good hedged trackers? Vanguard's list doesn't include any.

Hedged trackers ?????

There's no need to make this more complicated than it needs to be. There is an enormous fund universe out there an an infinite set of possible portfolios, the trick is to sensibly restrict your decision space so you are not paralyzed by choice.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper

You can get information straight from the horse's mouth here

https://www.vanguard.co.uk/uk/portal/investments/all-products

Though some of it seems to be missing at the moment:cool:
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2017 at 10:12AM
    Re geographic spread I am looking at the map of the world with the percentages shown for each country (USA, UK and Japan) or region and adding them. That it what totals under 100, sometimes significantly so.

I think this comes down to 'other' investments, eg on Man GLG European Growth the fund analysis on this page shows 16.69% Other which is not reflected on this map. So what is Other and how do I take it into account when looking at geographic spread of a portfolio?
  • I know its a volatile fund but for Japan maybe look at Legg Mason Japan, it has blown the doors off for long periods, if you can stand the volatility.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure