Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 March 2017 at 1:41PM
    Options
    samspam wrote: »
    My friend bought it and fitted it
    Then your friend must supply the remedy.

I can understand that you may not want to force that issue, but your statutory rights are with whoever sold you the goods.
  • samspam
    samspam Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Then your friend must supply the remedy.

I can understand that you may not want to force that issue, but this is the consumer rights board and your statutory rights are with whoever sold you the goods.

He has said he will replace it from another supplier if necessary, I was just wondering if anyone had any similar issues so it carried more weight as I don't think the supplier is taking the complaint seriously enough.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    My friend bought it and fitted it

Then unfortunately your friend needs to deal with this for you. If a new door is required, its down to him. He needs to chase it up with his supplier.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    He has said he will replace it from another supplier if necessary, I was just wondering if anyone had any similar issues so it carried more weight as I don't think the supplier is taking the complaint seriously enough.

Its definitely not normal, so don't let anyone fob you off.
  • samspam
    Options
    Definitely not! I still can't open it, need to go out now, so having to go out of the garage and take the garage fob with me. Hope it's not sunny tomorrow otherwise my daughter won't be able to get in from school when I'm at work.
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    can you post a picture of the inside of the door and a picture of the hinges .
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    My#3 remains unanswered so there is little I can add. However good folks on the forum are saying the door is not acceptable, but this may not be the case. If the frame has been fitted out of true, and/or in twist then problems such as this could occur. Hence the door and frame may be fine but the fitter could be a plonker.

Fitted by a"friend" at "mates rates" does ring alarm bells. As does the link given by OP. Further, OP has not commented on guarantees, nor Building Regulations Inspection to both verify/check the door and the installation, nor FENSA accreditation, nor similar accreditation.

All round an unsatisfactory situation and one that needs sorting by the installer. However is somebody in the overall sequence trying to buck the system?
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Fitted by a"friend" at "mates rates" does ring alarm bells.

You’ve said what probably everyone reading this thread is thinking.
  • samspam
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    You’ve said what probably everyone reading this thread is thinking.

He is a legitimate fitter, he just happens to be a friend who helped me out by doing it cheaper than he would normally charge. I am a trained florist, I do 'mates rates' flowers for my friends weddings. It does not mean I do a 'bodge job' I just charge them less because they are friends. Have none of you ever helped out a friend by working for them for less? I still paid £880 for the door and side window and frame and fitting so it was only a little cheaper, my other friend had quoted me £970 initially but the company sent the door handed the wrong way so I sent it back.

He has covered all bases, he even bought a brand new spirit level to re check his fitting again. I even had a locksmith out and he suggested the keeps needing replacing which my fitter also agreed needed replacing, yet the issue was still the same. He has fitted hundreds of these doors and has a lot of business with the supplier.

can you add photos to the thread I was going to post some but can't see how
  • samspam
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    There are countless poor quality composite doors fitted to homes. Yours may be one of them. Even so called reputable manufacturers like DoorStop produce utter dross. But in mitigation there are countless other doors that are no better, or even worse.

To give further guidance you need to establish why it will not open - expansion at the top, or the sides, claw mechanism jamming or whatever.

How do I do this? All I know is that it is stuck shut when the sun is on it. It does not budge, the locksmith thought it was the keeps, the keeps have been replaced so now what? I can only assume it's heat expansion as that makes the most sense to me but what would I know? I am a customer not a door fitter or manufacturer. Anyway the supplier has offered to come out and look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure