Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Robisere wrote: »
    OINK!

"Two Wheels good, Four Wheels Bad!"
    OINK OINK!

Apologies to George Orwell....
    In this case "Two wheels minor irritation, Four wheels clueless"

Was George Orwell a motorist? If not his views are irrelevant.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Was George Orwell a motorist? If not his views are irrelevant.

Don't know. But he was born in India.
  • Giddypip
    Giddypip Posts: 130 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Giddypip, and thank you for your contribution. Did the cyclist provide any rationale regarding the highway code?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The cyclist told me that road signs did not apply to them and they could cycle where they wanted, he did not provide anything to back his argument up.
  • Giddypip
    Giddypip Posts: 130 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hopefully, as an intelligent person, you understand that that cyclist doesn't speak for or represent other cyclists.

As an intelligent person I understand this perfectly. I have seen numerous examples of bad cycling and I have seen numerous examples of bad driving.
  • Johno100 wrote: »
    Not this rubbish again, go on quote that study from 2012 by those.Dresden academics. You know the one that includes everything from dealing with climate change to the alleged health costs of pollution, but excludes 95% of motoring taxes because they aren't ring fenced by the government.

So demand for motor transport has been rising for a century because it's too expensive?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    custardy wrote: »
    Giddypip wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. The cyclist told me that road signs did not apply to them and they could cycle where they wanted, he did not provide anything to back his argument up.

Indeed. Seems to be a trait between some humans.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Giddypip wrote: »

ok, thank you for letting me know, sorry if i was not clear in my message to u.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting that cyclists are abused for the transgressions of a minority but the majority of motorists break the law on a daily basis and many bemoan their fate for risking but rarely being prosecuted for this.
  • I am a cyclist.

I have had things thrown at me, tins of drink, lighted cigarettes etc, out of moving cars.

We have cycle lanes where I live but they are next to useless as cars constantly park on them.

I had one time when I was using a cycle lane on a path and a young lad decided to abuse me to show off to his girlfriend. He stepped out in front of me to stop me, and harangued me for using the footpath. I pointed out it was also a cycle path but he spat at me and said it shouldn't be.

I had someone try to grab my handlebars whilst I was using a toucan crossing, shouting no bikes.

I have had a Porsche driver in a queue pull over to block the cycle lane to prevent me overtaking me. I got off my bike, walked past him on the path, got back on and carried on.

I have frequently been accused of jumping lights by pedestrians and motorists alike, the lights they refer to are ones where they have a cycle light that is always green.

I have been forced off the road by a bus driver who thought I was in his lane. It is a bus lane but it was outside the specific hours and it is also a cycle lane anyway.

I could carry on, but all the abuses I have suffered as a cyclist would be a VERY long post.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Looks like about time you got a bike camera.
    Then you can report the cars throwing stuff for littering, with video evidence.

You'll never get any dangerous driving or assault charges to stick (didn't know there was a cyclist there), but littering will. ;)

I wish I was 18 again, I'd just jump my 'bike onto cars parked in the cycle lane and ride over them. :D
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure