'Simple' HDD to SSD upgrade *going* wrong on Lenovo z580 Laptop - Help!

Hi all, I'm in trouble with the boss (wife), so would really appreciate your help.

I wanted to upgrade the HDD in her Lenovo z580 to an SSD and bought a Samsung 750 Evo 500gb SSD.

Basically, I've cloned the original drive to the SSD (using EASUS Todo Backup) but don't think I've done it properly and the laptop won't boot into the OS (Win10).

I got a "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" error. After a Google, thought changing the SSD to be first in boot sequence would fix it. It didn't (could be because the cloned disk image is duff). Googled some more and changed some setting (in the Novo Setup Menu) either to or from ACHI/Legacy, or perhaps changed a UEFI setting, can't remember!

Now the laptop gives me the same PXE-E61 error with both the original HDD and the SSD.

I'm no longer able to get into the BIOS/settings, or in fact any of the three options (Enter Setup Menu / Enter Boot Manager / Enter One Click Recovery) presented when starting the laptop with the Novo button.

I assume I have three options (bearing in mind that the new SSD drive is currently set as the 1st device in the boot sequence)?

1. Reflash the BIOS in some way, but I'm unable to get into Windows 10 to do this and Lenovo don't appear to have a way of doing this from a flash drive.

2. Possibly partition the new SSD drive, writing a Windows 10 Media Recovery image to the first partition, and installing it to the second partition on the same drive. Is this even possible?

3. Send laptop to Levovo in Germany. I really don't want to do this for an out of warranty repair, as my wife needs her laptop for preparing her lessons (she's a teacher). Oh, and it will cost pennies.

Any suggestions would be hugely, hugely appreciated.

P.s. I can still access the original HDD on my other laptop via a caddy, and have made a backup of everything that's required on that drive.

Comments

• Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    OK this seems to be an issue with Lenovo Laptops in general. Their support forum has a lot of posts regarding this.

It basically means it can not find any bootable media in the laptop and is looking for a network to boot from. ( PXE is a way to boot a PC using a disk image stored somewhere on the connected network.)

Hold down f1 or f12 when you power it on to access the boot menu and select the internal drive to see if that works.

Hold down f2 when you power on to access the BIOS. and turn off the PXE option in Boot selection.

If you have access to the data then they usually advise a full reinstall of Windows (which usually works) . Also resetting the BIOS to defaults might work.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/PXE-E61-Media-Test-Failure-check-cable-Ideapad-z580/td-p/1318353
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • GibsonSt19
    GibsonSt19 Posts: 2,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you. I've read through pretty much every relevant thread I could find on the Lenovo forums including those you've linked to.

My problem is that I'm no longer able to get into the UEFI/BIOS in order to make any rectifications. Sad times.
  • Fightsback
    Do you have any bootable media such as a USB W10 install stick, Linux install stick or Windows install CD ?

If so try that in the machine and see if it boots from it.
  • GibsonSt19
    I did have a bootable Windows 10 USB, but whatever I'd done to the UEFI / BIOS meant it wasn't recognised.

I've now got it sorted, thanks for all your help!

Ended up moving SSD to a caddy, creating partitions, one with bootable with Windows 10 recovery media (6gb), the other for the OS to be installed to. This was recognised at boot (probably the only thing that could have been recognised) and I was able to install Windows 10, then reflash BIOS and reset to defaults. It then took some changes in primary and active partitions, but now all done and dusted.

It really shouldn't have been that hard!

Thanks again all.
  • Fightsback
    edited 14 October 2016 at 4:13PM
    GibsonSt19 wrote: »
    I did have a bootable Windows 10 USB, but whatever I'd done to the UEFI / BIOS meant it wasn't recognised..

Glad you sorted it and posted your solution :T

No it shouldn't, correct me if I'm wrong I believe there is no recovery flash for those either. Did you flash with the older modded BIOS from bios mods or the last official one ?

Evidence suggests a buggy BIOS.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Just a side note, easily overlooked, may not be the case here, but mentioning it just in case...

Cloning the drive, if you hit issues, frequently (always?) the SSD needs to be installed, not in a caddy, during cloning if you want it to be mountable and bootable. That's why most cloning software is meant to run from a bootable USB
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    GibsonSt19 wrote: »
    I wanted to upgrade the HDD in her Lenovo z580 to an SSD and bought a Samsung 750 Evo 500gb SSD.

Basically, I've cloned the original drive to the SSD (using EASUS Todo Backup) but don't think I've done it properly and the laptop won't boot into the OS (Win10).

Glad to read you've now got it sorted but I am still curious ... why didn't you use the superb cloning software that Samsung supply with their SSD's?
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Samsung tool failed on my old dell with a drive that was playing up with dodgy blocks.

Minitool worked first time.
  • GibsonSt19
    Fightsback wrote: »
    Glad you sorted it and posted your solution :T

No it shouldn't, correct me if I'm wrong I believe there is no recovery flash for those either. Did you flash with the older modded BIOS from bios mods or the last official one ?

Evidence suggests a buggy BIOS.

I flashed the latest official one from the Lenovo website :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure