First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    No more legroom in Club World?

73' vs 31' ;)
    Legal team on standby
  • Mr_Wangers_Wang
    Options
    ibizafan wrote: »
    We've recently flown on British Airways 747s to America and back and paid extra to have exit row seats. They were the best economy seats on the plane, and nowhere near toilets or galley. In fact, they were just behind the Club World cabin, whose occupants had paid a hell of a lot more for no more legroom. It wasn't cold in these seats either, so I would recommend them to anyone.

Off topic I know but I love BA 747's, flew out to Vancouver on one recently, the aircraft was about 24 years old.

Be a real shame when those girls are retired.

I was on a BA 787 from Abu Dhabi a few weeks back and though it's a brand new, gorgeous aircraft, (the pilot told us it had flown only 12 times) give me a good old 747 any day of the week!
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Off topic I know but I love BA 747's, flew out to Vancouver on one recently, the aircraft was about 24 years old.

Be a real shame when those girls are retired.

I was on a BA 787 from Abu Dhabi a few weeks back and though it's a brand new, gorgeous aircraft, (the pilot told us it had flown only 12 times) give me a good old 747 any day of the week!

I'm flying in one at Christmas and I still get a kick out of flying in a 'double decker'. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its refurbished one, rather than one thats seen better days !
  • Mr_Wangers_Wang
    Options
    I'm flying in one at Christmas and I still get a kick out of flying in a 'double decker'. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its refurbished one, rather than one thats seen better days !

It's a beautiful machine. Thrown back into your seat as it roars down the runway, I'm not much of a plane spotter but I sure know how to appreciate a good old 747 :D
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a beautiful machine. Thrown back into your seat as it roars down the runway, I'm not much of a plane spotter but I sure know how to appreciate a good old 747 :D

Do you remember the 707?
  • Mr_Wangers_Wang
    Options
    Ha ha, a little before my time I'm afraid, do you?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ha ha, a little before my time I'm afraid, do you?

I never got to fly in one, although they were operating alongside 747s when I started flying... 727s were still widely used in those days (they were the main 'warhorse' operated by Ethiopian Airlines then), but 737s were the exciting ones at take-off.
  • ibizafan_2
    Options
    We were on seats 28H and 28J on the BA 747. Easily the best economy seats on the plane. You get as much legroom as Club World but cannot lie flat of course. I am quite happy to forgo lying flat for one night, as I don't sleep well on a plane anyway. We were served first as well, which is always a bonus.
  • chong168
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    About to do a couple of long haul flights with Cathay Pacific (Boeing 777-300ER) and we have paid extra to have more legroom in exit row seats (59b and 59c). Just wondering if we will have access to the usual personal entertainment screens and especially a charging point for iPads?

Any info much appreciated.

PS. Have looked on Seat Guru but cannot find any info!

The entertainment screen is a foldable unit which is housed in the armrest during takeoff and landing times. The same is with the mini dining desk. CX 777-300ER planes have USB charging ports below the screen in every normal (Economy) seat but I think your port might situated in the armrest area. The power output might just be enough for a slow charge for an iPad though.

Remember to request for an extra blanket (or just wear an additional piece of clothing) as the exit row seat can be slightly colder due to it being near the exit doors.

Don't forget to ask for Haagen Dazs ice cream and/or Nissin cup noodles when you feel peckish, its available throughout the duration of the flight!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies....fascinating reading and very informative. Much appreciated. (I love the idea of ice cream and/or noodles being available non-stop....regretting booking an airport lounge now!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure