How much can you save?

Comments

• innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Set up a direct debit to take savings out of your account and into a savings account on payday.

The principle of saving regularly and automatically is great - particularly in combination with a Regular Save like the First Direct 8% one.

But it's not such a good idea to set up a direct debit , or standing order, on the payday. What if your money arrives late? This happens. People come crying onto the Budgeting & Bank accounts board all the time because they have been caught out by a late arrival.

Better leave 3 or 4 calendar days between the expected payment and the money going out automatically.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Set up a direct debit to take savings out of your account and into a savings account on payday.

If the money's already gone then you can't spend it. Waiting to see what's left over at the end of every month is the best way to have no savings because nothing is ever, ever left over, no matter how much you earn.

Best tip anyone ever told me when I started saving.

This is a good tip and what i do, we're paid weekly and have money from 2 different sources, so i have a standing order for the full of one payment and then we live off the other, i have to say we do always have money left to transfer over come the next week but then again working week to week is easier than month to month....or maybe i'm just tight.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Well dont have it set up to come out automatic. Just survive with your pay minus a percentage. Go on your online banking on payday and shift over say 20% of net pay. Slowly work it up to 50% if possible.
    :eek:Living frugally at 24 :beer:
    Increase net worth £30k in 2016 : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69797771#post69797771
  • Hey all,

I am saving for a deposit to get my own place after living in house share hell for a number of years. I have no debts and my savings are currently £2,500. I'm putting away £500 every month but the numbers are just not going up as fast as I'd like. My aim is to have £10k saved before I even approach the bank for a mortgage.

It just feels like my goal is so far away at the moment, so how do you all keep motivated?

Cheers
    Saving for a Deposit of a Deposit £5,000/£10,000
    'Life stuff' that needs paying for before I can start saving again £750/3100 :(
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You will get to 10K in 15 months, a little faster if you consider compound interest. Which isn't much these days but I hope you are exploiting Regular Savers and ISAs. Being able to save £500 a month is the stuff of dreams for the vast majority of UK people, so just hang on in there and remind yourself how incredibly lucky you are!
  • Thanks Innovate. I am grateful that I'm in a position to save when others can't get through the month - I just find the cut backs I've made, budgeting for everything and general lack of fun things are making me a misery a*se!

I am saving in my ISA only at the moment I don't think it'll be exhausted to be able to start with a Regular Saver account yet.
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 August 2012 at 5:01PM
    No pain, no gain, I'm afraid - - - though don't overdo it, you still need to live and have some fun as well.

I don't know how much interest your ISA pays - if it's not close to 4%, you could most likely do a lot better bunging your monthly money into one or more Regular Savers, and then use the funds to put into your ISA. You could perhaps even use your £2,500 to make it work a bit harder ("dripfeeding technique")

Use Martin's calculator to work out the difference http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts#dripfeed

It's not going to be hundreds extra, but it could pay for an extra night out, a nice meal, a nice present..... and it's a good exercise on how to make our money return the max for you.

The Regular Savers I would consider if I were you:

First Direct Regular Saver - 8%, max £300/mth, 12 mths fixed
    Nationwide Regular Saver - 6%, max £250/mth, instant access
    HSBC Regular Saver - 6%, max £250/mth, 12 mths fixed

Also, are you "collecting" the monthly fiver from Halifax? That's £60 a year.

All these accounts have minimum monthly deposit requirements - but you can easily meet those since you already have £2.5K. You just cycle the same money through all the accounts every month on standing orders. You don't have to pay in all the money in one go - - e.g. if the requirement is £1K/mth, it can be met with 4 x £250......

You could collate another £100 on the way, depends who you are banking with. Both First Direct and Halifax are paying £100 if you switch your current account to them.

And finally, if you aren't with Santander, consider their 1-2-3 current account. It costs £2/mth but you get cashback and interest. How much you get depends on your circumstances.

A whole lot of food for thought here, and I'd say probably at least another £100 - £200 a year for you. May be even an entire month off the race to your target £10K!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2012 at 3:03PM
    Hey all,

I am saving for a deposit to get my own place after living in house share hell for a number of years. I have no debts and my savings are currently £2,500. I'm putting away £500 every month but the numbers are just not going up as fast as I'd like. My aim is to have £10k saved before I even approach the bank for a mortgage.

It just feels like my goal is so far away at the moment, so how do you all keep motivated?

Cheers
    i'm also saving to build a house so my targets alot higher than yours as i hope to do it with no mortgage, everytime i hit the next whole thousand we have a treat such as chinese.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • tinkerbel
    tinkerbel Posts: 1,795 Forumite
    Quintwins is the £30,000 just a stage or is it the whole target?
    I wish I could save £500/month! Lethal Brizzle I think you're doing pretty well! You have to make some sacrifices but I try to do this by not mising out, just being tighter/smarter with my cash i.e. being more organised to take your lunch to work rather than buy, get out of the coffee buying habit then this kind of thing becomes more of a treat, spend a few minuted looking for restaurant deals/voucher codes or a bar with a happy hour! I've found that everytime I've suggested a restaurant with a deal or anything to my friends they've been more than happy because we're all in the same boat where money's tight! so it's finding a way to not miss out on things but still be able to save if you know what I mean!?
  • Thanks Innovate - amazing advice. I did look into the Halifax & First Direct accounts a month ago but I don't meet their T&C's. I have had another look into the drip feeding method but I honestly don't think I understand it enough (the tool on the link says I'll be about £20 better off but I'm not sure if I did it correctly) so I am probably best off staying simple with the ISA which is currently at 3.10%.

And thanks Quin & Tinker for your words of encouragement. You are all very supportive! I think I will create a savings target signature to help with my motivation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback