Underpaid after raise, advice very much wanted and appreciated

Hello there,

I've already made a post regarding my situation, which had some almost immediate response, but I'd love to get an experts advice (offical expert/advice, no offense anyone).

I cannot post links unfortunately, so I've quoted my original post. I have another thread with the exact same name if you want to have a look. It's under employment training and jobseeking.
LETSPOINT wrote: »
Hello everyone,

First time poster, been reading MSE over the years though, generally found my answer here. Unfortunately I have a strange one (i think) which i cant seem to find an answer to.

About two years ago I was on 16,000 on a 40 hr week (35 minus lunch). Last year I got a promotion and a raise to 17,500. Unofficially My hours went to 48 (44 minus lunch) as i went on shift work 4 12hr days then 4 days off. Today I'm doing 5 days a week 8am to 6pm.

I got a letter saying my title and pay has been changed, but also stated that other than this the terms of my existing contract remain unchanged. So should I not be on 17,500 on a 35hr week? Rather than 17,500 on a 45hr week?

Here are my workings out, please dont laugh too much;
---
A) £8.79 35HRS @ 16,000 PA (40 hrs minus 5 hrs lunch)
B) £6.83 45HRS @ 16,000 PA (50 hrs minus 5 hrs lunch)<for reference

C) £9.61 35HRS @ 17,500 PA (40 hrs minus 5 hrs lunch)
D) £7.47 45HRS @ 17,500 PA (50 hrs minus 5 hrs lunch)

worked out
Annual income / 52 weeks / hours per week
16000 / 52 / 45 = 6.83
17500 / 52 / 45 = 7.47
---

At the moment I am on (D) but before my raise I was on (A).
I've actually had a pay cut havent I? Should I be on (C)?
If I'm entitled to 17,500 for 35hrs a week, but I've had an increase in hours to 45 a week, should my annual income be 22,487? And hourly rate at £9.61?

Could someone burst my bubble? Im thinking its too good to be true. This has eluded my for over a year now, I feel quite stupid. However if my working out is correct, how much am I owed?

Also should my annual income include my unapaid lunch hour, ie 50hrs but only getting paid for 45hrs. Could this have an affect on my hourly rate and annual income?

Thank you all very much in advance

P.s: I actually do an hours overtime everyday so it would be 50 hrs, but ill stick to basic pay as im already confused.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Are you salaried or paid hourly?

I am salaried but with "standard" hours in my contract but like most managers I get nothing for any extra I do. If this is the case then looking at it hourly is not really a worthwhile exercise.

Here is a link to your other thread so others can see the existing responses:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4338269
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Are you salaried or paid hourly?

I am salaried but with "standard" hours in my contract but like most managers I get nothing for any extra I do. If this is the case then looking at it hourly is not really a worthwhile exercise.

Here is a link to your other thread so others can see the existing responses:

link missing as i cant post quoted links

You diamond, thank you for the link!

Im not a manager, and it even states in my contract that I can claim overtime over my contracted hours at single rate
  • In that case I would certainly raise an issues with your HR team to clarify your working hours and that this does in effect look like a pay decrease. Have you discussed with your line manager?
  • In that case I would certainly raise an issues with your HR team to clarify your working hours and that this does in effect look like a pay decrease. Have you discussed with your line manager?

Unfortunately the company I work for (Sorry I wont say which company) has a rather bad reputation, has a huge staff turnover (majority of which are drivers, very rarely admin staff etc) and I worry they will chew me out if I approach them over this.

That being said, I think im owed several thousands in back pay, also my annual and hourly rate are far lower than they should be. I have to chase it, but worry none the less
  • I certainly think it is worth raising with them regardless - if they chew you out then perhaps it's not the place for you. I'd rather move on after a fall out than let my employer tread all over me - especially when it comes to pay (which is the only reason we go to work if you ask me!).

Good luck - if you want help wording your email/letter then come back and I am sure we can offer some help.
  • I certainly think it is worth raising with them regardless - if they chew you out then perhaps it's not the place for you. I'd rather move on after a fall out than let my employer tread all over me - especially when it comes to pay (which is the only reason we go to work if you ask me!).

Good luck - if you want help wording your email/letter then come back and I am sure we can offer some help.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the offer, and I may well take you up on it.

The jobs market isnt brilliant at the moment, and it doesnt look like itll pick up any time soon. Also most of the time I like working where I do, and the people I work with are brilliant. Real characters.

I dont feel I should have to go elsewhere, although I know the realities. Also my annual/hourly rate should be very good compared to most in recession (granted that they honour my request to have my wages changed).

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice, I do feel a lot more confident about approaching them now
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    If your contract says you are on a basic 35 hour week, then that is what you are employed to do.

What does your contract say about working more than this? Is it expected, and if so, with or without additional pay?
    On what grounds are additional hours expected to be worked if any? e.g. it is common, especially where additional payment is to be paid, to require additional working to be approved in advance by your employer. If this is the case with you, do you have the prior approval for the additional hours worked.

Why don't you just work the hours you are contractually obliged to work if not requested to do more?
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    LETSPOINT wrote: »
    Unfortunately the company I work for (Sorry I wont say which company) has a rather bad reputation, has a huge staff turnover (majority of which are drivers, very rarely admin staff etc) and I worry they will chew me out if I approach them over this...

Why not leave and work for an employer that has a better reputation? Doesn't sound like you are too happy working there, and it doesn't sound like your employer gives two hoots either.

Chances are, an employer with the attitude you claim it has, won't be in business much longer anyway, so jump ship now before it's too late. It's always easier to get a job when you already have one.
  • Wywth wrote: »
    Why not leave and work for an employer that has a better reputation? Doesn't sound like you are too happy working there, and it doesn't sound like your employer gives two hoots either.

Chances are, an employer with the attitude you claim it has, won't be in business much longer anyway, so jump ship now before it's too late. It's always easier to get a job when you already have one.

I do like working where I work, mostly. Happy? Not sure if im honest but thats another story alltogether. But you're right, my employers do not seem like the type to care much. The man who employed me took me out of the job centre if I'm honest, gave me a second chance (which I feel I've more than lived up to). I feel guilty about all this.

As for staying in business, itll stay in work for quite some time, given the nature of the work its almost recession proof. Adding to my worry about looking for work elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure