Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning all, 7/21 for me today please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Paspatur wrote: »
    Totally agree, there are so many decisions in life every day that we suffer from decision fatigue - what to wear, what to have for breakfast..... having a set line that says no drinking means we do not have to make the decision whether to drink or not especially after a busy day with lots of other decisions
    Hope that makes sense?

It makes complete sense. In terms of making decisions about what to wear, I learned from Mark Zuckerberg. He has a wardrobe with grey teeshirts and jeans in it - and that's it, exactly for the reason you said, it's one less decision to make each day.

To make my life simpler because I'd already bought the clothes I've got and like different colours, I divided my clothes into Blue and White, and Black with Colours. Mostly I wear blue trousers or jeans with a blue and white striped top, but when I run out of them because the weather's so vile I can't get them washed and dried, then I move on to Black with Colours.

And following Shaggy's excellent suggestion to cut down on carbs during the day I now have the same breakfast every day too, four figs and 20 almonds. Another decision I don't have to think about.
    Just checking in to say I did it and after a brief wobble of resolve as I walked home past the off licence that stocks my fave wine chilled in their fridge I didn!!!8217;t find it difficult.

There's a reason they keep white chilled - just for you! Well done on resisting. If it's not in the house it's not tempting you. Reading blogs by women in particular that have stopped drinking, most of them cite an evening when they went out to get more booze and had an unpleasant experience as one of the factors in helping make the decision to stop. I was spared that but only because we had so much sloshing around here after our twice yearly trips to Brittany to stock up. Surprisingly having it around really didn't worry me when I stopped and OH has managed to work his way through most of it since, slowly but surely.

The longer I stay AF the fewer the fleeting moments of temptation I get, too.

13/28 please, Baileys.
    Better is good enough.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Honey_Bear wrote: »

There's a reason they keep white chilled - just for you! Well done on resisting. If it's not in the house it's not tempting you. Reading blogs by women in particular that have stopped drinking, most of them cite an evening when they went out to get more booze and had an unpleasant experience as one of the factors in helping make the decision to stop. I was spared that but only because we had so much sloshing around here after our twice yearly trips to Brittany to stock up. Surprisingly having it around really didn't worry me when I stopped and OH has managed to work his way through most of it since, slowly but surely.

One of the many useful tips for being AF suggested on here is to get home and change into PJs to stop that urge to go out and buy alcohol. It worked for many if not for all.:D
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/05/shoppers-wear-pyjamas-tesco-given-dressing/

I'm having another smiley today.:D

7/10 AFDs please Baileys.
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    8 please Baileys.
    Arkers
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    7/14 for today please Baileys
  • Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    13/28 for tonight please Baileys
    Although I had a beer tonight
    For no apparent reason there was a small 150ml can of He*neken in the box with my meat delivery??
    I thought oh no who put that there to tempt me and then noticed it was zero Alcohol
    So I drank it and wish I hadn't, tasted like fizzy pop - mind you I don't like the alcohol version of that brand so maybe that is why
    Think I'll stick to water and home made Ayran!!
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    8/22 AFDs today
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    14/28 for me today please - 17 days in a row alcohol free!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Gosh, I went on holiday for a couple of weeks and come back to find the thread gone! It was then that I realised what a motivation the thread really truly is. Massive thanks to Shaggy for all the hard work and massive respect to those that are able to take this on in the future. I've come back from hols and work has been as bad as I was expecting, so the hunt for a new job is now beginning......sad, because I was really happy in the back end of last year and I work with some lovely people, but I just don't want to do the job I am being forced into

I actually managed 25/25 target for January (which was 25 days straight) up to the night before we went away.

My target for February is 10 and so far I have managed 2/10
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • fatrab wrote: »
    14/28 for me today please - 17 days in a row alcohol free!

and a new smilie to celebrate :T Well done
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport