Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question

Options

Comments

• CaroRuss40
    Options
    I have unfortunately been dealing with Harringtons for the past year, within the past 4 months or so I have been receiving letters from other companies claiming that they are taking on work for Harrington's, however still having received no confirmation from Harrington's themselves about this matter; I have therefore dismissed any letters, not signed anything and simply left it.

I now understand that Harringtons are no longer authorised to provide regulated services.

I have just received an offer from Santander for PPI claim, and I was wondering am I still liable to pay Harrington's any fees, given I have not signed any new authority to these companies (whose names escape me) to take on this for me?
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just heard from Timothy at the Legal Ombudsman that Harringtons are transferring all their live cases to Allansons Solicitors.

Unfortunately the Legal Ombudsman doesn't understand that this is unlawful as the transferring of claims is in itself a regulated activity and Harringtons lost their MOJ authorization on 22 December.
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    Options
    CaroRuss40 wrote: »
    I have unfortunately been dealing with Harringtons for the past year, within the past 4 months or so I have been receiving letters from other companies claiming that they are taking on work for Harrington's, however still having received no confirmation from Harrington's themselves about this matter; I have therefore dismissed any letters, not signed anything and simply left it.

I now understand that Harringtons are no longer authorised to provide regulated services.

I have just received an offer from Santander for PPI claim, and I was wondering am I still liable to pay Harrington's any fees, given I have not signed any new authority to these companies (whose names escape me) to take on this for me?

Hi CaroRuss40,

It would very much depend on the contracts signed and the dates. If you'd like to give us a call we can get a bit more information from you and discuss it in more detail - 0300 555 0333.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CaroRuss40 wrote: »

Firstly you need to check that your contract allows them to reassign your agreement to another company. It probably does but check.

Secondly Harringtons are (or were) under a regulatory obligation to notify you of any intended transfer - see PDF here
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cmr-special-bulletin-transferring-or-ending-client-relationships
  • tholland
    Options
    Hi there.
    I took out a loan in 2008 and was mis-sold PPI for this loan. I thought the loan/PPI policy was with Welcome Finance (all of my paperwork refers to Welcome Finance), but I started a claim with them and they responded that the PPI associated with my account had been sold to me by a broker, Blue Sky Loans, who has now ceased trading. They suggested that the FSCS might be able to consider my complaint if I wished to take it to them, but when I just tried to start a claim with the FSCS the website said that they were not currently accepting applications for this firm (Blue Sky Loans). Is there anything that I can do to claim back this PPI that I was mis-sold?
    Many thanks in advance for your help
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    Options
    tholland wrote: »
    Hi there.
    I took out a loan in 2008 and was mis-sold PPI for this loan. I thought the loan/PPI policy was with Welcome Finance (all of my paperwork refers to Welcome Finance), but I started a claim with them and they responded that the PPI associated with my account had been sold to me by a broker, Blue Sky Loans, who has now ceased trading. They suggested that the FSCS might be able to consider my complaint if I wished to take it to them, but when I just tried to start a claim with the FSCS the website said that they were not currently accepting applications for this firm (Blue Sky Loans). Is there anything that I can do to claim back this PPI that I was mis-sold?
    Many thanks in advance for your help

[FONT=&quot]Hi Tholland,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately we can only look at complaints about the service received from a claims management company (CMC). I think this is something you would need to explore further with the FSCS. You may be able to get some advice from the Financial Ombudsman Service. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sorry we can’t be of more help.[/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • peterbiggs
    Options
    Hi
    Just had a successful PPI claim for a Barclays Credit Card that I had from 1994 - 2107
    Unfortunately the offer they came back with was £75!
    The explanation letter that accompanied the check stated that they only keep records for 6 years.
    I know I used this card much more in the earlier years and hardly used it in the latter years, if at all.
    Is there any way I can refuse this offer of compensation or are there any other options?
    Regards
    Pete.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    peterbiggs wrote: »
    Hi
    Just had a successful PPI claim for a Barclays Credit Card that I had from 1994 - 2107
    Unfortunately the offer they came back with was £75!
    The explanation letter that accompanied the check stated that they only keep records for 6 years.
    I know I used this card much more in the earlier years and hardly used it in the latter years, if at all.
    Is there any way I can refuse this offer of compensation or are there any other options?
    Regards
    Pete.

This thread isnt really on your subject.

However, if the bank has no evidence of payments of PPI then they are required to use any copy statements you have. Do you have any?

If neither you or the bank has any records, then its typically game over.

You can refuse the redress but that would be futile.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bella2018
    Options
    Sorry to jump onto this thread but unsure where to put my query. Can I claim for PPI on barred statue debt? I don’t mind the money going to pay off the debt cos that’s the right thing to do but I am worried I will reset the 6 years. I don’t think the PPI will cover all the debt so i don’t want to acknowledge the debt only to reset the clock. Thank you
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Once statute barred, always statute barred.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure