missed car insurance deadline, what to do?

My car insurance deadline was midnight yesterday- 45mins after I realised. What should I do- It's Aviva, what shall I do?

Should I just call another insurance company, will they know?

What to do?

I got back at 12 15, would an ANPR have logged me?

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Put details in comparison site.

Look at any cashback.

Buy insurance.

surprised you were not auto renewed?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    not call mine and pretend I didn't know it had expired?
  • textbook
    call anonymously and say missed deadline by a few hours?
  • If you would like to stay with the current company don't even mention the expiry, just call them and say "I would like to renew my insurance."
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • textbook
    edited 22 November 2017 at 9:47AM
    ok. There's no problem with the insurance company, however I checked my petrol receipt and got it at 23 58. I would have driven down the shopping street road just after that And think there's an ANPR camera where I drove but not sure how to check for sure. Would have driven I estimate between 12.03pm-12.08pm. Probably drove past it. The insurance company just said this won't affect anything with them until if I get a letter from the police. Then I must let them know.

As this is because I forgot to renew and drove past 8 mins after it expired then renewed at 8 30 next morning(the car parked outside flat all night) would there be a way of contacting the police if I get one of these letters and asking for sympathy? I think I would get 6 points but not sure, but it's not like I was driving deliberately for 6 months, is it?
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Driving without insurance is not routinely enforced by unmanned ANPR cameras. It would be difficult to do so as the fact that the vehicle doesn't show as uninsured isn't good evidence that it is being used without insurance - the driver could be covered by all sorts of not specifically linked to the car, eg a trade policy, or the driving other cars section of his own policy. ANPR is generally used in manned police cars, so that if a vehicle shows up as uninsured the officer can stop it and make further inquiries. As you were not stopped at the time it is very unlikely that you will hear anything more about this ever again. Worry about mitigation if and when you actually do hear something.
  • You can't forget to auto renew. You must have declined the renewal because insurance companies are obligated to auto renew for this very reason.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You can't forget to auto renew. You must have declined the renewal because insurance companies are obligated to auto renew for this very reason.

Not so, not every insurance company is auto-renew
  • BoGoF wrote: »
    Not so, not every insurance company is auto-renew

For car insurance?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    For car insurance?
    Not compulsory for any insurance!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories