Summer Holidays?

My little boy is 4.5 he has Autism, sensory processing disorder, hypermobility the list goes on.
He leaves preschool in a couple of weeks and then we have 5 days in a caravan booked. After that it's us 2 for the rest of the summer.

He's hard work! Lovely and an amazing wonderful boy but hard work nonetheless!

We have had loads of car repairs this last 2 months and until September I'm pretty skint.

We have to get out everyday, our house is tiny.

Hubby and I have saved to get a trampoline for our small garden on OT recommendation and that's going up in a couple of weeks but we don't have many friends, family etc and the summer will be tough.

Does anyone have any old style frugal ideas of things we can do?

I've tried to get him involved in coming up with some ideas
He wants to play Pokemon go, toast marshmallows, buy pick n mix and have a "bug adventure" in the woods but we really need some help with some more suggestions.

I'd be really grateful.

Unfortunately I can't just send him out to play as there aren't many kids in our street and it can be dangerous with cars and my sons issues make playing out the front unsafe.
Everything is always better after a cup of tea

Comments

• I really like the ideas you already have. I take my boys to the park for picnics, to the museum (In western Australia its only gold coin donation to enter) and to the beach.
    What about searching Pinterest for sensory play ideas like water play/water tables, making mud pies and sensory tables which you could probably make from things around the house or get a few items from somewhere like poundland(?). Make your own play-dough, I know you said your house was small so you could pack the play-dough and take that to the woods and do imprints of leaves ans twigs etc
    I'm not sure if the above is suitable for your LO but I hope this helps :)
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A simple and enjoyable activity is nailing. A slice of tree trunk, a hammer the right weight....hammer the nails in and then pull them.out.... (.try a car boot sale for a hammer and a collection of nails.) You help to start with. You can start with a softer piece of wood. When happy, then just nail bits of wood together to make things....boats to float on puddles.....a bird table.
    He has control of the noise levels, handles different textures....you might need to start with gloves, but if possible get them off :)...while watching for splinters.
    I suggest you do the activity beside him, building your own stuff and just let it happen, once you've explored the basics together.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How about making a scrapbook....one which you can look at later to remind him of his summer and the things he did...it could include photos of him in the wood...leaves from the wood...the bag from his pik'n'mix..the stick that he used for toasting marshmallows....try and go for a variety of textures, not just paper things stuck in!

You could make a 'tent' indoors...clothes airer covered by a large blanket...or even a couple of dining chairs covered by a sheet...and have a 'carpet picnic' for lunch....(Just be careful to monitor his comfort levels...some autistic kids love to hide away...others can freak out if it is too enclosed!)...(I have memories of sitting in the dark cupboard-under-the-stairs reading comics by torch-light....)

Check your local cinema...some do 'Autistic friendly' showings of films during the summer holiday...allowing free movement around the cinema and bring-your-own snacks....or do a cinema-at-home with a Pok!mon DVD and his bag of pik'n'mix

If you have a garden he can sit in...maybe on a groundsheet......you could have some old cups/bowls - plastic ones...different sizes..a few plastic animals...maybe a boat.....and a large bowl of water to put these items into and splash them...(if the lad is happy/safe then you could use sand too....but not if he is likely to eat it....I used to experience by tasting...still do!!!!...and EVERYTHING went into my mouth...sand...dirt...)

And when you have your list of things to do...maybe you could get a timetable on the wall...or little cards made to give him each day with a picture to tell him/remind him of what he will be doing that day?
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 June 2017 at 8:51AM
    These ideas are great thank you!
    I especially love the idea of taking playdoh out can't believe I've never thought to do that before!

I do lots of sensory things with him we have a "tuff tray" so we work with all sorts- including this incase it's help for others �� Sand , water, ice, water beads, unusual materials, grass, mud and make farms and sea life adventures all sorts lol

I absolutely love the idea of the hammer and nails and I'm determined to find a way to get him to do this but he is unpredictable and can be aggressive I'd worry he'd hurt himself or me. I'd like to give him the opportunity to give it a go though so I'm going to try and figure something out ��

Love the idea of the scrapbook aswell thank you!
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    River dipping with a fishing net could be combined with a bug hunt to make a day of it.
    does he like dogs, if so how about some dog walking for friends or visit a dog rescue centre and help out.
    Lego clubs are good and autism friendly.
    If you have a carers card you can get into zoo`s, safari parks, and theme parks free just paying for your son.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If he like Pokemon, I used to buy the kids Pokemon cards which they used to like to draw on paper - I used old wallpaper rolls, used to keep them busy for hours, eldest is ADHD (now 23) NSD loved the repetitive action of laying the cards out etc used to carry them with him everywhere
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    All these suggestions are brilliant. I have an autistic grandson so I know the difficulties. Do you have an autistic group near you? It might be worth finding out because they often have holiday activities going on.

Do try to find something where someone else will be responsible for him for a while. You also have to look after you my love. Being with any child for any length of time is exhausting, with a challenging child you can multiply that a dozen times. Plus it can be screamingly boring. You need periods on your own and also periods with other adults.

I don't know your circumstances so I can't advise you on how this can be achieved, but I worry about you. Of course you do your best for your child, but if you don't get a break you will cave in, and that will be bad for both of you.

Hope I'm not overstepping the mark here.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 June 2017 at 12:14PM
    Oh, aggression and a hammer does sound a bad idea.....maybe leave that....someone else might find it useful.

Painting.....a large tarpaulin...powder paint mixed into large containers.limit the colours - you only need two or three..think yog pots...and big brushes....paint the tarpaulin in huge brush strokes....great after a visit to a modern art exhibition. ...photograph results....hose it off...start again. You can also paint with mud.....or use a mop or a squeezy bottle.....you might well have more fun than the child!
    Even if the child gets over excited, the most damage would be mess and the rain will sort that out.
    Similarly, if you have patio doors, cover them in a layer of bubbly soap and draw patterns in that with ypur hands together.
    Consider the opportunity to mirror what your child is doing if they have communication issues...rather than trying to show them....playing beside is very sociable...

So if its raining, go put on wellies and swimming stuff and jump in puddles, float paper boats and make dams in the gutter. Be very wary of culverts, please, they are so dangerous but otherwise just get muddy.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think it would be good for everyone if you include him on some of your household chores. No harm in that! My neurotypical son preferred company and doing stuff like cooking/baking/dusting etc rather than playing!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    hi i too have a asd son so now how hard work it is...my top tips would be
    1 get out everyday to the park/leisure centre/free museum/town look out for free stuff open days or stuff put on in parks i find it lifts everyones spirits to get some fresh air

2 have a look in the £shop for summer toys we got a tiny paddling pool which needs close supervision but might be fun

3 do some baking /make a meal

4 while in £shop buy snacks /drinks and take your food with you

5 research on line for craft ideas my son doesnt go for this but i bet there are loads of ideas

set your self a weekly/daily budget and dont overspend one summer we spent way too much and it was no easier than when we had summers doing cheap stuff might help to write a timetable and dare i say cross the days off so you can see you are getting somewhere

dont forget a cheeky treat for yourself at the end of the day a nice bath/nice drink/nice chocolate

good luck with it and share if you find summat good lots of us in the boat xx
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport