Postage - a helpful guide.REVISED 3 April 2017.

Options

Comments

• suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    Blimey I'm struggling as a novice thinking about weight plus weight of packaging, which countries, signed for or not, if end price goes above £46 I won't be covered fully in case of loss....etc etc etc. I wish I'd never started, it's worst than my full time job :(
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • chivvy
    chivvy Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    It gets worse. Just had a leaflet through the post details the new Royal Mail conditions from January.

The main one I noticed was no more compensation for anything lower than Special Delivery (scroll down to see last item on webpage) which means not even Recorded Delivery will offer compensation (apart from paypal unless that changes before January).

Plus £50 maximum compensation as standard, you will have to pay more if you want more cover.

Here's the page http://www2.royalmail.com/customer-service/terms-and-conditions/compensation-and-delivery
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,203 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chivvy wrote: »
    It gets worse. Just had a leaflet through the post details the new Royal Mail conditions from January.

The main one I noticed was no more compensation for anything lower than Special Delivery (scroll down to see last item on webpage) which means not even Recorded Delivery will offer compensation (apart from paypal unless that changes before January).

Plus £50 maximum compensation as standard, you will have to pay more if you want more cover.

Here's the page http://www2.royalmail.com/customer-service/terms-and-conditions/compensation-and-delivery

The loss of compensation does not apply to standard items sent via normal post office - only to business customers using other Royal mail services.

We will no longer pay compensation for the loss or damage of items sent using contract services that do not include a tracking element.

Compensation is still available for loss or damage of stamped and franked items

Business account users have bene worrying about it for a while now, but no need for the rest of us to panic.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Cheap stamps................. Costco 6.8% off face value
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • Tribulation
    Tribulation Posts: 4,001 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2012 at 8:05PM
    Options
    Deleted due to leaving forum
    Martin Lewis is always giving us advice on how to force companies to do things.

How about giving us advice on how to remove ourselves from any part of
    MoneySupermarket.com

I hereby withdraw any permission Martin might have implied he gave MoneySupermarket.com to use any of my data. Further more, I do not wish ANY data about me, or any of my posts etc to be held on any computer system held by MoneySupermarket.com or any business it has any commercial interests in.
  • beadgirl87
    Options
    Hello,
    I have a question about postage costs for books.
    I have a book I want to sell on ebay and it will cost £4.41 to send by royal mail parcel service as it weighs 1.4 kg. I also have another book weighing 1.2kg, again same cost to post. Ebay only lets you charge up to £3.25 per book. It mentions you should change it to courier and specifiy the details in the description.
    Can I just put courier and say it will be royal mail standard parcels at £4.41? or does it have to be an actual courier company?
    How do I charge the postage cost at the end of the auction?
    thank you in advance for any help.
    June 10/10 NSD
    Owe [STRIKE]£571[/STRIKE] £0 :) lloyds credit card [STRIKE]£1500[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£1030[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£400[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£170[/STRIKE] £0 :) overdraft
    [STRIKE]£6400[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£6049[/STRIKE] £5949 Barclays Loan.
    [STRIKE]£2290[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£1760 [/STRIKE] £1560 Car.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    beadgirl87 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have a question about postage costs for books.
    I have a book I want to sell on ebay and it will cost £4.41 to send by royal mail parcel service as it weighs 1.4 kg. I also have another book weighing 1.2kg, again same cost to post. Ebay only lets you charge up to £3.25 per book. It mentions you should change it to courier and specifiy the details in the description.
    Can I just put courier and say it will be royal mail standard parcels at £4.41? or does it have to be an actual courier company?
    How do I charge the postage cost at the end of the auction?
    thank you in advance for any help.

no,because you aren't sending it by courier..............
    you start at a higher price to cover costs
  • honey10
    honey10 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With regards to https://www.parcel2go.com, they will only cover the price on the Paypal invoice whether you purchase extra insurance or not, whatever the value of the item may be. I found this out the hard way.

Also, city link are one of the few couriers to take, and insure computers.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their colour, choosing your socks by their character would make no sense and choosing your friends by their colour would be unthinkable"
    “He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.” -Confucius
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    honey10 wrote: »
    With regards to https://www.parcel2go.com, they will only cover the price on the Paypal invoice whether you purchase extra insurance or not, whatever the value of the item may be. I found this out the hard way.

Also, city link are one of the few couriers to take, and insure computers.

you mean the sale price?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport