PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• I'd be starving Pastures if I only had a banana for breakfast - that's my definition of a snack:rotfl:

My definition of breakfast this morning was the usual porridge - topped this time with blueberries/a sprinkle more of that bee pollen/a drizzle of apple juice concentrate/some flaxseeds and followed by 2 pieces of that sourdough bread toasted. Plus a mug of coffee of course:) and I follow that with mug of lemon & ginger tea with squeeze of lemon juice (don't think that counts as "1 a day" somehow...:cool:).

Out having coffee with friends this morning. Shall resist the biscuit that the cafe automatically gives out with it. The cafe makes that teeny bit more profit out of me then - as I look at the size of some of my friends:( and don't pass it onto them instead....(I'll blame my mother for that .....:rotfl:).
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

Nelsksi poor you :mad:

Just scoffed banana and toast and a portion of LO mixed berries from Saturday's cake so a reasonably heathy breakfast. :D

I've taken a bit of a baguette out of the freezer to make a turkey salad sandwich for lunch and I've chicken thighs marinading in peri peri sauce for tonight so feeling pretty organised food wise today:)

I'd be lost without my bread products and like to mix things up a bit with bagels etc. I did try low carb years and years ago but it wasn't for me or at least the severity of the infamous Atkins diet wasn't :(

I've two friends who are vegan and they are like Laurel & Hardy. Needless to say "Hardy" has a very sweet tooth and eats an awful lot of what I'd class "junk" so I suppose veganism is like any other diet healthwise and calorie wise ;)
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Morning!

Nelski, sorry to hear about the fire alarm. Presumably it was someone messing about? As PN said though, at least you could go back to bed instead of having to get up and out and drive for hours.
    karcher wrote: »
    PN I'm just greedy...also annoyed with myself as I hate being fat...I comfort overeat especially when down or stressed. The trouble is it's a vicious circle because putting on weight causes my mood to dip even more :o:(

....I've just eaten more chocolate too!

I'm the same. My binges over the last week have been epic. 10 bars of chocolate and two packets of jaffa cakes in two days, and the weekend was nearly all cake.

I don't think it's as simple as being greedy. I've started to realise why I binge, and it's all complicated.

I've finally dropped below 100kg, but I've been binging for weeks so will probably go above it. I always self sabotage.

I need to find the best way of stopping it. I can't decide if it's going cold turkey and cutting out all carbs and chocolate, or whether to gradually cut down. Which comes back to cooking for one - the worry that, say, a loaf of bread will go off before I eat it all so I have double portions.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    karcher wrote: »
    Why do we have these days of just stuffing your face with any food you can get your hands on...well i do anyway and quite often recently :o:(
    The only time that's ever happened to me was when the doctor put me on prednisolone.

I haven't had anything to eat today yet - and I still don't feel hungry.:(
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2017 at 3:54PM
    Empathy on that one.

Can't say I felt hungry per se - mind still whirling in all sorts of ways after this morning.

However - I've had one of those single people Groundhog Days re lunch. That being - the other wild garlic tofu sorta steak type thing (turned out to be tasteless in the event - but I wasnt going to waste it and so finished the other one in the pack). That was not a successful experiment - and won't be repeating it:(. Accompanied by the rest of the spicy potato wedges and baked cauliflower leaves. Topped up by having a banana. Oh well - it did the trick and filled my stomach I guess and I shouldnt have had the accompanying glass (or two....) of wine with it...ahem....:p

But I was trying to calm my mind back down again after this morning. Didnt work - ahem...:p. But never mind - I've just written the rest of today off in the event - but it hasnt gone too badly so far.

So - it's one of those "willpower failing slightly" days - and I'm just in process of having a handful of cashew nuts and a few grapes to try and make lunch that bit more healthy for the day.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 4:08PM
    Grabbed a muffin from the freezer that I'd bought/frozen a few days ago. Tin of tomatoes (you don't get many in a tin do you!) and 2 eggies.
    Splash of brown.

Not much juice on here as I decant that prior to cooking and freeze it as it's tiny and can be lobbed into the SC without a care -and if I cooked the juice then most'd end up just wasted.

https://s30.postimg.org/h11tmsuxt/Brunch.jpg

7p + 16p + 25p = 48p ...and 1/10 :)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Doom & Gloom - I shall be watching your meals with interest. As you can probably tell - I'm edging towards vegan. I'm desperate for some new clothes - but won't allow myself to buy anything much at all in size 16. I know I'm supposed to be size 10-12 (as that's what I used to be).

Hence gradually swopping out dairy products for vegan ones - as I read comments about many vegans being slim. Would you say that's true - as I guess you meet many more vegans than I do?

I have read of people turning vegan and actually putting on weight - but then I do see a lot of vegan blogs that seem to major heavily on sweet foods and am guessing those are the ones that are being read in this case? That - provided sweet food and alcohol are minimised - then I guess turning vegan would pretty much cause weight loss to happen automatically without trying (ie until one was back to normal size again)? Is that your experience of things? Would a combination of turning vegan and eating mindfully (ie I've started to ask myself after every mouthful if I'm sure I'm hungry for another mouthful) be sufficient to do the trick in your opinion?

I know the Slimming World diet has done the trick for me a couple of times - and then it's gone back on again afterwards. I don't think I can face that diet again - as I find it so restrictive and I land up eating one heck of a lot of canned tomatoes to give any taste to the food at all....

I weigh more than I'd like to at the moment - since being disabled I've put on weight steadily :(. I've lost some weight recently but would like to lose a stone still to get to the weight I prefer to be, though I am considered a healthy weight as I am.

I've met a few vegans and most are slim yes. I think its because the majority lead healthy lifestyles. Like a vegan couple that are customers at the supermarket I work at, they cycle everywhere and the food they buy is mostly produce and very little junk. The one vegan that is overweight that I see hasn't been vegan that long and I'm sure has lost weight since being vegan. Not losing weight fast as still quite a bit of junk etc like crisps, vegan sausages, vegan mayo etc. Okay in moderation of course. People forget that quite a lot of alcohol is vegan, that there are vegan crisps, vegan chocolate, vegan ice cream etc. It's just as possible to be overweight as a vegan as a non-vegan.

When I initially went vegan I basically stayed the same weight. I was a very active person then (before disability I was a dancer! Ballet and modern jazz) and I found being vegan gave me the option of eating more without as much worry of my weight as I had previously had. Until my disability I could basically eat what I wanted and my weight was basically stable.

Yes do be 'mindful' of what you are eating. I have always been a slow eater, it can easily take me an hour or more to eat my dinner, but that means the brain has time to signal being full and stopping sooner. Better as less over eating.

If you have any questions, just ask. I've been vegan longer than I've been with my OH and I've been with him since I was 16 so yeah, I'm pretty clued up on veganism lol.
    caronc wrote: »
    Morning everyone

Nelsksi
    I've two friends who are vegan and they are like Laurel & Hardy. Needless to say "Hardy" has a very sweet tooth and eats an awful lot of what I'd class "junk" so I suppose veganism is like any other diet healthwise and calorie wise ;)

Yup, there are still fat vegans. Just there are less as the majority of vegans live a healthier lifestyle over all.

Fire alarm Nelski :eek:. I'd be so panicked. Glad everything turned out okay though.

So far today coffee :rotfl:. Yeah I'm a good example of a healthy vegan right now lol.
    I'll have some fruit later; all fruit and vegetables get weighed, I have a thing about it. Even yesterday the sweet potato chips were weighed (I had 100g). OH hates it but just goes with it.
    For dinner I'm thinking of a vegan 'tuna' mayo mix with sweet potatoes and vegetables. Not really cooking exactly as microwave where needed. Though I am fancying some vegan onigiri (rice balls). May have both. Decisions, decisions.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    nelski I feel your pain on your early morning wake up call :(

My body clock is waking me between 4 and 5am every bloody morning :mad:
    x 1 fresh orange juice 1/10???
    x 2 cups of tea and milk
    x 3 cups of coffee and milk
    x 1 diet coke
    1/4 of a Melon 1/10???
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Thanks Doom & Gloom.

Fortunately - I've not got that much of a sweet tooth - so the number of times I think "I could just fancy something sweet" aren't that high.:). I'd hazard a guess at maybe twice a month on average where I think "I want something sweet" and buy myself a small portion of healthier type chocolate or make myself something like a couple of medjool dates stuffed with tahini or nut butter.

Wine is my downfall I do know - though I'm getting better than I was. One bottle of wine in total last week and think it's likely to be the same this week.

I guess the majority of what surplus calories I am having would boil down to fat. I do have a tendency to grab a chunk of cheese if I want a "little something". So going more vegan would mean that was cut out.

I've got plenty of cashew nuts in - so I think my next experiment might be making some cashew "cheese" from them and I'm guessing that would be a rather better idea.

Slowly slowly catchee monkee I guess...

Must have a go at using alternative "mylks" in my coffee next too - rather than dairy milk. They seem to be around two-thirds of the calories of dairy milk. I gather oat milk seems to be the least likely to curdle in a cup of coffee?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Gordon bennett, now I am sitting down and shattered, if I had a big bag of crisps in the house, or in walking distance then I would be scoffing the whole lot and in one go. I am not hungry, I have mouth hunger

muesli and almond milk first thing, one fresh ground coffee later on with slice of spicey raisin bread, last fig and an easy peeler

last of the soup, hm veg and grapefruit juice and salad with walnuts followed by good yummy chocolate

goats cheese on two small rice crackers and am going to have two of those weetabixes with my kefir and a couple of boiled sucking sweets later, I am craving something sweet in my mouth and am staying away from toast and jam if I can

karcher my body clock wakes me at that time too but I put my hand out and press the radio button, it is so quiet that I have to concentrate and next thing I wake up a couple of hours later :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure