Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    :T That's great to hear you say that. I hope you're telling MrsK too!:)

Thank you, maman.

Yes, we are not taking each other for granted. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    June Targets:

Organise Summer holiday: 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Holiday. 3. Agricultural shows x 3.
    Debts: Pay £1,500 from the balance (£6,500 ). Should be on track to do this but still feel annoyed about the debt.
    Total Grocery Spend: £125 / £400.
    11.30pm bedtime: /20 :rotfl: Seems impossible at the moment.
    Meditation: 3/21.
    Spreadsheets / Money tracking: Managing to keep on track with this. :)
    De-clutter and Sell: / 3 items. One needs to be the car I've been meaning to sell for months.
    Books read for pleasure: 2 / 2, target reached. :) Though with the books I read, I think I ought to make the target "books of interest".

The first was Owen Jones' Chavs. I have read it before, thought they deserved to be demonised but I'd been wanting to read it again after a few years working with some people that could fall into the category of "demonised working class". This time it was interesting and I did question where a lot of my views were formed: namely my parents, school, some news articles etc. I realise that by the time I went to university, I would seek out and befriend others with a similar background. I formed my (former) views about state schools based on never having spent a day in such an institution and wonder how many of those within the education system, holding influence have real experience of the system they are advising and / or implementing policies within. This time around, it horrified me as with my limited experience and knowledge I can see that there are institutions writing off children before they have the opportunity to make their own way in the world.

The second book was Paul Mason's Post-Capitalism: A Guide to Our Future. It was a fascinating book and I will read again after giving myself time to think about it before commenting.

Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire.

The past few days have been chaotic and I'm struggling with sleep. Not really even sure where the days are going at the moment; whilst I do not seem to be doing a lot they are passing awfully quickly. :eek:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Debts: Pay £1,500 from the balance (£6,500 ). Should be on track to do this but still feel annoyed about the debt.

That just means you'll stay on top of it until it's gone. :)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Wow, Alex, you're doing a *lot* - and even your reading isn't light. I love that you're so thoughtful about what you're reading, and your past attitudes to the same information - good for you.

I have to say, though, your sleep might be better served by reading something a bit more relaxing!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Alex, I'm so impressed by your ability to evaluate your upbringing and your previous views and to challenge yourself and really look at things in a different way.

Not many people can do that. Most of us pretty much stick with the beliefs we're brought up with, only allowing minor adjustments. What you have been able to do is remarkable and very brave
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Have you done a profile for that debt Alex? - So you can map how you project you will clear it over time? I wonder if you need to pay this a little bit of attention to stop you worrying about it. I realise it was one of your mental health triggers, so taking control of it by knowing your plan and timescale to clear it should contribute to peace of mind for you. I do hope so.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Glad all going well for you Alex and as others have said, keep monitoring the actual progress of the debt repayment against planned - hopefully that will put your mind at rest.

Was thinking about you last week. We get a lot of test cars here as we have empty, straight, motorways, winding mountainous roads and extreme heat so quite a few manufacturers send new models (or new versions) for testing. Mainly BMW, Audi and VW, also a lot of Evoques. We're used to seeing them about, quite often with disguised bodywork like this. (Actually, that picture looks like it was taken round here, though it's marked GM so probably in the USA). Last week though there were two Bentleys............. both pick-up trucks......... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. I was pretty proud of myself for identifying them from the front grills :). However, it transpires they were probably Fords or Chryslers with false grills fitted as an extra disguise. Just as well, as even I know a Bentley pick-up is wrong :rotfl:. I was wondering though if your mother would like to put her name down for a few, just in case they actually were Bentleys :D.
    Save
    Save
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • I have been catching up and have squeaked happily at all the progress and positivity.

Alex, you're a fantastic person and I am glad to know you, even only virtually. You are in a far better place than I think you believed you could be when you started your original diary.

Cracking work, good sir!!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    June Targets:

Organise Summer holiday: 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Holiday. 3. Agricultural shows x 3.
    Debts: Pay £1,500 from the balance (£6,500 ). Paid. :j
    Total Grocery Spend: £165 / £400.
    11.30pm bedtime: 2/20 Seems impossible at the moment.
    Meditation: 3/21.
    Spreadsheets / Money tracking: Managing to keep on track with this.
    De-clutter and Sell: / 3 items. One needs to be the car I've been meaning to sell for months.
    Books read for pleasure: 3 / 2, target exceeded. :) Historical novel set in Rome just after the death of Julius Caesar.
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire.

Spent the latter part of Friday and the weekend just gone by very ill (physically). I'm OK now, though.
    That just means you'll stay on top of it until it's gone. :)

First £1,500 is gone, so hope you are right, HS. :)
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Wow, Alex, you're doing a *lot* - and even your reading isn't light. I love that you're so thoughtful about what you're reading, and your past attitudes to the same information - good for you.

I have to say, though, your sleep might be better served by reading something a bit more relaxing!

Thank you. :)

:rotfl: Yes, I think some lighter reading would help the sleep a little. :)

I certainly don't seem to be doing a lot, karmacat. I need to be thoughtful about what I read, as I believe does everybody. Moving forward from the past is important to me, if that means on certain issues my view has not changed despite re-reading information, that's OK as is my view changing in response to information read a second time around. Life happens and I think our views change with experience of different scenarios presented to us. I was talking to head over heels in love schoolfriend about this as he has a lot of problems with his family (he wants to make amends with them and they don't, to cut the story). Perhaps the most disturbing thing about this is he seems to value my opinion. :rotfl:
    Alex, I'm so impressed by your ability to evaluate your upbringing and your previous views and to challenge yourself and really look at things in a different way.

Not many people can do that. Most of us pretty much stick with the beliefs we're brought up with, only allowing minor adjustments. What you have been able to do is remarkable and very brave

Thank you, Red Squirrel. :)

Evaluating the past is my way of beginning to understand it rather than choosing to loathe myself due to my actions / views in the past. I cannot spend the rest of my life beating myself up about the past, affecting everyone around me in the process. Whilst I'm not going to make excuses for some of my wife's behaviour, I can appreciate that living with me has put a strain on the marriage and her own mental health. We both made a decision in counselling to move on from our past behaviours which my wife has honoured and I would like to think I have too. I want to be the best father I can be to my son and there is a part of that which means being a good role model and I don't think I can do that without developing respect for myself. However, I cannot base my whole life on being a father, else I will find such a purpose becomes less needed as my son grows and my mental health will likely decline. Further, such a position is not healthy for my son to base his idea of relationships or being an adult on. I don't want him to grow up thinking it is a good thing to have a difficult marriage, no self respect and to not pursue his own ambitions. At the moment he has a mother and father because my wife has switched on to taking that role seriously and I have allowed her to parent with me as a team. This means such a lot to me. :)

My beliefs are ever evolving as I face new experiences in life and I hope this will help both my son and I not to grow into a close minded individuals.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Have you done a profile for that debt Alex? - So you can map how you project you will clear it over time? I wonder if you need to pay this a little bit of attention to stop you worrying about it. I realise it was one of your mental health triggers, so taking control of it by knowing your plan and timescale to clear it should contribute to peace of mind for you. I do hope so.

On DFW?

I have a spreadsheet for it. :) Hoping to clear another £1,500 in July and £1,000 in August, September and October followed by the final £500 in November. This is a best case scenario. The worst is making £300 payments.

I feel a little better about it having cleared the first £1,500 and also paid in full the cashback card we are using for groceries and petrol. However, I know there's a long way to go before I can fully trust myself with any amount of debt.
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Glad all going well for you Alex and as others have said, keep monitoring the actual progress of the debt repayment against planned - hopefully that will put your mind at rest.

Was thinking about you last week. We get a lot of test cars here as we have empty, straight, motorways, winding mountainous roads and extreme heat so quite a few manufacturers send new models (or new versions) for testing. Mainly BMW, Audi and VW, also a lot of Evoques. We're used to seeing them about, quite often with disguised bodywork like this. (Actually, that picture looks like it was taken round here, though it's marked GM so probably in the USA). Last week though there were two Bentleys............. both pick-up trucks......... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. I was pretty proud of myself for identifying them from the front grills :). However, it transpires they were probably Fords or Chryslers with false grills fitted as an extra disguise. Just as well, as even I know a Bentley pick-up is wrong :rotfl:. I was wondering though if your mother would like to put her name down for a few, just in case they actually were Bentleys :D.
    Save
    Save
    Save

Hi Gally!

Mind is at rest when comparing the current figure to the worst case scenario figure on the spreadsheet. :D

:rotfl: Re. the Bentleys. They do now have a 4x4 version. :( ... But its no LR Defender ... ;):D.

On another note, why do you send me some kind of secret message to "save, save, save" when I quote you, Gally? :D
    I have been catching up and have squeaked happily at all the progress and positivity.

Alex, you're a fantastic person and I am glad to know you, even only virtually. You are in a far better place than I think you believed you could be when you started your original diary.

Cracking work, good sir!!

HBS x

Thank you, HBS. :)

I'm glad to know you, albeit virtually, too. I am in a much better place (definitely so financially :rotfl: but mentally too). Sounds rather silly but I have a lot to thank you and other posters for. I got a lot of flak when I first joined (still do sometimes) which in turn gave me a lot to think about as well as making me realise I am not in the worst situation ever and things could be a lot worse.

Probably disappoints / amuses you I still have a pen collection, though. ;)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills