PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

does house value rise?

Comments

• Tyler119
    Tyler119 Posts: 341 Forumite
    How big is the retail park to create 3500 jobs! The size required would make me wonder about the traffic conditions going forward.

In time the wife may feel totally different about the house in a year or so. Our house was bought for a very reduced price, due to needing every doing, and I mean everything! We added a two storey extension, had a few contractors attempt to screw us over on money and at one point I couldnt go into the property for 2 months due to the stress. However we now live in the house and could not be happier with it. The work we did increased the value and the value of houses around us are also selling at a increased percentage over what we spent on work.

Time sometimes is what is needed, as someone else said here, another property will only come with fresh issues.
  • I'm puzzled as to why you bought a house which needed so much work, most of which (old boiler, old electrics, damp) should have been obvious from your survey?

If you move you'll have to pay stamp duty and various other costs. And then you still might have to replace a boiler!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 March 2017 at 2:34PM
    House prices can go up or down, 2007 for example.
  • I'm puzzled as to why you bought a house which needed so much work, most of which (old boiler, old electrics, damp) should have been obvious from your survey?

If you move you'll have to pay stamp duty and various other costs. And then you still might have to replace a boiler!

Maybe the location is one that currently doesnt have that many houses for sale - and so it was "best of a bad lot". We aren't all in cities/fast-moving/etc type environment - and there'll be loads more along for sale soon. It is quite a shock to find how little is available for sale in any given location outside a fast-moving city.

In a smaller location then there won't be many for sale at any given time and one has to either buy "best of a bad lot" or hang on and wait indefinitely and hope for something better to come to market.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm not in a fast moving city and there are loads of houses going up for sale in the area. They're selling V quickly, it's a vibrant market. I can't say if prices are going up or down but I do often see prices that make me shake my head, then shake again 3 days later when they're under offer!
  • The economy is more important to house price values not a lick of paint. And its unlikely the next 2-5 years being anything spectacular with interest raise rises, brexit, inflation, landlords selling due to tax changes etc. So you could get a fall quite likely
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,612 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    obay wrote: »
    A lot of house pricing at the moment in our area are selling for £210kish. So I think the potential is there, my wife doesn't like the house because of all the improvements we've had to do in a short space of time! So I think she is looking for an exit when the 2 years fix is over with our current mortgage provider..

I think the estate agent is right, with the potential of around 3500 new jobs to the area, I think it could be worth 250?

3500 possible jobs seems far too many for just a retail park. In any case unless this is in a town with a huge unemployment problem, such a massive job creation is likely to be accompanied by an equally large housebuilding exercise.

As you have to wait 2 years before you can move, enjoy your refurbished home and see if prices do start to rise. Also remember it can cost £10,000 to move house.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 4:23PM
    3500 possible jobs seems far too many for just a retail park. In any case unless this is in a town with a huge unemployment problem, such a massive job creation is likely to be accompanied by an equally large housebuilding exercise.

As you have to wait 2 years before you can move, enjoy your refurbished home and see if prices do start to rise. Also remember it can cost £10,000 to move house.

It was around £9,000 for me to move house pretty recently - ie pretty much what I'd anticipated in that respect. That was moving from a starter terrace house in my own area to a detached house in better area in current location (that cost me a cheaper price).

But - yes that does sound like one heck of a lot of jobs to expect to have created. I'm not used to seeing figures that high for job creation.

For right now - Aberystwyth is about to have a Marks & Spencer shop right now (3 storey - so think it might be my own definition of standard size - at last!:D) and it is going to create 150 new jobs I gather (though I'm not sure how many of them are going to be full-time in fact). One (reasonable - I think?) size shop. Now multiply that up by however many retail outlets and it does still sound like a rather optimistic number of jobs to create at once.

EDIT: Quick google says 35,000 square feet in size - for comparison purposes.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,612 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Aberystwyth is about to have a Marks & Spencer shop right now (3 storey - so think it might be my own definition of standard size - at last!:D) and it is going to create 150 new jobs I gather (though I'm not sure how many of them are going to be full-time in fact)

I would guess (and I stress guess) 50% or more would be part time
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • obay
    obay Posts: 570 Forumite

It's 35 acas of land they're developing on so, it's quite big! it's something to look forward to as it'll be closer then the nearest facility we have now! I cannot wait.

I love and thank everyone for the replies, it's great to see so much feedback on this.

I am hoping my wife changes her mind! :)
    [STRIKE]1/12/16 - £152,599.00 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11/11/17 - £145,990.00 [/STRIKE] <> Overpaid £3916.
    11/11/18 - £142,074.00
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family