Strange BIN offer

I have an item up for £22 and received an offer of £13 which I countered offered at £20.

I then had a second offer from same buyer for £25, so I added a note to the offer saying it was more than the BIN and I am happy with £20 and then formally countered with £20.

That offer lapsed and now I have received another offer from the same buyer for £28!

My OH says just accept it and see what happens, but this seems very weird to me , I am going to email the buyer again and explain it is too high, but I wonder would it work, fee wise etc, if I accepted the £28 and then discounted the invoice to £20?

Any thoughts?

Incidentally buyer has feedback in single figures (which never bothers me) and has not left any feedback for the sellers. Registered in the UK so there is nothing odd with trying to pay more to ship overseas.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would just block him from bidding or buying as it's too weird. Maybe he's narked at you not accepting his offer and thinks he's being funny. If you accept his offer he still doesn't have to agree to buy.
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    November2 wrote: »
    If you accept his offer he still doesn't have to agree to buy.
    Is this true? I thought once an offer is accepted, a contract of purchase is in place.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If they really wanted it surely they'd just BIN?

I'd ignore.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,153 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    November2 wrote: »
    I would just block him from bidding or buying as it's too weird. Maybe he's narked at you not accepting his offer and thinks he's being funny. If you accept his offer he still doesn't have to agree to buy.

If I accept it then the sale is complete and if he doesn't pay I can go through the NPB process.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Maybe a child or someone messing about on a stolen phone trying to work out how to change the address or take delivery.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • TKPeters
    TKPeters Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    If the offer is still live, pull their detail on advanced search & give them a call.
    I would explain that the item can be theirs for £22 via the BIN
    The only time we have this, is when the buyer wanted express delivery
  • soolin
    Maybe a child or someone messing about on a stolen phone trying to work out how to change the address or take delivery.

This is not a usually scammed item, in fact it is a vintage collectable likely to appeal to someone more mature in years.

I suppose I'm just always looking for the scam!.
  • soolin
    TKPeters wrote: »
    If the offer is still live, pull their detail on advanced search & give them a call.
    I would explain that the item can be theirs for £22 via the BIN
    The only time we have this, is when the buyer wanted express delivery

Unfortunately as I haven't yet got a transaction with this buyer all I get if I try that is:

Unable to access contact information
    Unfortunately, you are unable to access the contact information you requested. This can be due to a number of reasons:

1. To better protect the privacy of eBay users, you can only request contact information for eBay users who are involved in your recent, successful transactions. Examples are:
    Sellers can request the contact information for the buyer in successfully closed transactions.
    Buyers can request the contact information for a seller in successfully closed transactions.
    2. The item number entered is not associated with the User ID that was entered. View the item you entered and make sure the item number and User ID you entered are correct.

3. The item number you entered is no longer available. Contact information is only available while the item is accessible on eBay.

4. The user you are requesting contact information for is an international user. Due to international laws, contact information for international users may be limited.

If you would like to contact this user, you can send a message via our email forwarding system by clicking on their User ID.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would have the feeling they are going to be a PITA, crying after you accept their offer above the BIN price. They slipped and the dog bid on it and then the cat made the 2nd offer..

Or it could be they do not know how ebay works? Do they have much feedback or been on ebay long?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    I've had this situation today - a 4 figure value item, and someone has put in a Best Offer 50 quid higher than the Buy It Now.

The only reason i can think is that I have 'immediate payment' required, so maybe they are offering more than the BIN to take it off the market (if I accepted the offer) then could take time over paying, or not pay at all. Seems very fishy as if they need it urgently, the BIN is available and quicker than messy about with funny looking over-value offers!

I rejected the offer, and told them it was 50 more than the BIN and suggested they use that - but radio silence since then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure