Can we be compensated? Hurricane

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks that is great apart from the fact that we only budgeted enough money to last the original holiday term we don't have anywhere near enough to last extra days. The dream holiday that turned into a nightmare lol

If money really is that tight then you can't really afford the holiday in the first place.
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bigadaj wrote: »
    If money really is that tight then you can't really afford the holiday in the first place.

Yeah, you tell 'em. Forget the fact they've probably scrimped and saved for ages for a well deserved holiday and now God has kicked them in the face. Go on, matey, kick them some more while they're down on the ground.
  • geoffken
    geoffken Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2016 at 9:26AM
    Well if you spend £3 to 10 000 on a holiday (not sure how many kids in party) and have no money left for an extra day or 2 then what the hell happens if the car breaks down on the way back from the airport.
    It MUST be the height of irresponsibility to spend this and have NO back up funds for lifes slings and arrows.
    Sorry no sympathy.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    One of the risks of going to Florida in the hurricane season.

We were there for Hurricane Wilma, 2005. This was the Gulf Coast. We bought torches and food and sat in the apartment watching the huge grey waves.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • bigadaj
    Laz123 wrote: »
    Yeah, you tell 'em. Forget the fact they've probably scrimped and saved for ages for a well deserved holiday and now God has kicked them in the face. Go on, matey, kick them some more while they're down on the ground.

Not criticism just an application of common sense.

If the two grand spent on your holiday means you have less than £50 left in your account it means you can't afford it, nothing too do with anyone's feelings.

We don't know whether they have scrimped and saved, or whether the holiday is well deserved or not, just that nit being able to afford a fairly minor change in circumstances means that an individual needs to do a little more planning and thought around their situation.

Hurricanes aren't a unique event, certainly not this time of year and in that location, some more thought and planning wouldn't go amiss.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    geoffken wrote: »
    Well if you spend £3 to 10 000 on a holiday (not sure how many kids in party) and have no money left for an extra day or 2 then what the hell happens if the car breaks down on the way back from the airport.
    It MUST be the height of irresponsibility to spend this and have NO back up funds for lifes slings and arrows.
    Sorry no sympathy.

I do have some sympathy but at the same time I wouldn't dream of leaving the house - never mind the country - without a credit card or access to some extra funds in the case of emergency. It always amaze me that you see these travel shows where people find themselves "stranded" in a resort or airport without any money because their flight was delayed.

Airlines and tour operators will do what they can to help but you still need to take some responsibility for yourself. Even if you are on an all inclusive holiday, an emergency credit card is one of the most important things you can pack.
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Not criticism just an application of common sense.

If the two grand spent on your holiday means you have less than £50 left in your account it means you can't afford it, nothing too do with anyone's feelings.

We don't know whether they have scrimped and saved, or whether the holiday is well deserved or not, just that nit being able to afford a fairly minor change in circumstances means that an individual needs to do a little more planning and thought around their situation.

Hurricanes aren't a unique event, certainly not this time of year and in that location, some more thought and planning wouldn't go amiss.

I don't know if you've noticed but we're all different in this human race of ours. Some people aren't as bright as others. Not everyone has the capacity to be a university professor. Some can't pre-plan whereas others can. Now you and I probably have the intellect to be rocket scientists and if we put our superhuman minds together we'd invariably reach the stars but not everyone is built the same way. But I don't think it's terribly helpful to criticise those whose plight has been brought about by lack of foresight.

You know, hindsight is a great illuminator. It teaches us as we pave our way through this adventure called life to try not to make the same mistakes over and over again.

So I would point out in a kind of friendly sort of way that being superior only makes us feel better at someone else's expense for a short period of time. I'll leave you with a little something to reflect on:

Schadenfreude (/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdᵊ/; German: [ˈʃaːdn̩ˌfʁɔɪdə] ( listen); lit. 'harm-joy') is pleasure derived from the misfortune of others.
  • This conversation is getting quite nasty.

Whether you go to the next town or the other side f the world we all know we should have enough back-up funds to be able to get us home. Lets be honest, who has been in a situation where they have spent everything on holiday or a trip to the shops - I have. I know I shouldn't have, but I have.

The OP will not get compensation as know one is to blame for the storm. To claim compensation normally someone has to be liable. They may get pay back from there insurance if it covers such eventualities.

I hate credit cards (I had a couple as a student, and am still repaying :S), but in situations where you are traveling abroad, they are a fantastic back-up. Perhaps it would be a good thought for the future.

I hope everything gets better soon and you get home. Lets face it - our wind and rain is miserable and persistant but I would take it over a hurricane anyday!
  • bigadaj
    Laz123 wrote: »
    I don't know if you've noticed but we're all different in this human race of ours. Some people aren't as bright as others. Not everyone has the capacity to be a university professor. Some can't pre-plan whereas others can. Now you and I probably have the intellect to be rocket scientists and if we put our superhuman minds together we'd invariably reach the stars but not everyone is built the same way. But I don't think it's terribly helpful to criticise those whose plight has been brought about by lack of foresight.

You know, hindsight is a great illuminator. It teaches us as we pave our way through this adventure called life to try not to make the same mistakes over and over again.

So I would point out in a kind of friendly sort of way that being superior only makes us feel better at someone else's expense for a short period of time. I'll leave you with a little something to reflect on:

Schadenfreude (/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdᵊ/; German: [ˈʃaːdn̩ˌfʁɔɪdə] ( listen); lit. 'harm-joy') is pleasure derived from the misfortune of others.

Not at all, this is an eminently predictable event that would have to be allowed for, by no means certain or even probable but a definite possibility.

Schadenfreude doesn't apply, I have sympathy for people in a difficult situation but that is moderated by the actual situation and the planning, precautions and fall back options that exist.

My view is that is you can't afford a couple of extra days when soemthing goes wrong on a holiday then you probably can't afford it, others views may differ but there are unfortunately consequences to actions, or indeed inaction, hopefully people live and learn for their experiences but there is no guarantee of that either.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 9 October 2016 at 4:26PM
    Disney will probably give you extra park passes valid indefinitely if you chat them up at guest services so could be used on future holidays.

Ignore the smart mouths , some people are just plain nasty and revel in the misfortune of others ......very sad. Hope you get the most out of your remaining holiday. Get onto the dibb and look for ways to stretch your funds a bit further with meal deals etc whilst waiting for everything to reopen to help stretch your remaining funds.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family