PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    My rule of thumb for stuff in the fridge - well wrapped - is...

Five days for red meats...

Three days for chicken and sea foods.

You can find more official info here.... nhs live well food storage
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    squeaky wrote: »
    My rule of thumb for stuff in the fridge - well wrapped - is...

Five days for red meats...

Three days for chicken and sea foods.

You can find more official info here.... nhs live well food storage
    See, that page says
    Follow any storage instructions on the label and don't eat meat after its use-by date.
    So according to THAT I should have cooked my pork on Thursday and eaten it the same day.

Well, we're having some of it for lunch today, so if I'm not back ... you'll know why! (The rest is in the freezer.)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    See, that page says

So according to THAT I should have cooked my pork on Thursday and eaten it the same day.

Well, we're having some of it for lunch today, so if I'm not back ... you'll know why! (The rest is in the freezer.)
    We're both still fine.

And there's a Boy coming home for a week on Monday, so he'll get through at least a drawer of the freezer for us. So there'll be room for more Whoopsies! :j :rotfl:
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Phew..... glad you lived to tell the tale!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    I think I was told on a food hygiene course a few years ago that you should cook defrosted meat within 24 hours, even if you have kept it in the fridge, and eat it within 3 days, also keeping it below 5 degrees C in the fridge.
    HTH :)
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    If I make a creme catalan (like a creme brulee but cinnamon and lemon instead of vanilla), using 500ml cream / milk, how many 3 inch cinnamon sticks should I use to infuse? They're fresh, as I only bought them today. One or two do you think?
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Savvy_Sue
    If I make a creme catalan (like a creme brulee but cinnamon and lemon instead of vanilla), using 500ml cream / milk, how many 3 inch cinnamon sticks should I use to infuse? They're fresh, as I only bought them today. One or two do you think?
    Does the answer to this depend on how much you like cinnamon? :rotfl:

More seriously, I did a quick google, and most of the recipes I found quickly said 1 cinnamon stick, but they did not say how long it should be, AND the last one I looked at said 2. And I'm afraid by then I'd shut all the other recipes down, so I couldn't quickly check whether the quantities for the rest of it were similar ...

Does that help?
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »

Does that help?

Sort of. Think I'll try one, then two next time if it's not cinnnammmonnny enough. :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Sort of. Think I'll try one, then two next time if it's not cinnnammmonnny enough. :D
    I am happy to act as a taster if required. (I love cinnamon!)
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Is it ok to freeze corn beef and can I just defrost and eat it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure