Halifax automatic dividend reinvestment

Hi all, i just recently opened a stocks and shares ISA with Halifax. I have not added any funds as of yet. I am looking to transfer a lump sump into a VLS60 accumulation fund for a minimum investment of 10 years. I don't plan on doing much trading after the transfer has been made. And i am just after some information on what peoples thoughts are on the automatic dividend reinvestment or is it better to hold dividends on the account and reinvest at your own accord? Halifax charge a 2% commission (maximum £12.50) on dividend reinvestments. Thank you any help in advance :)

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you buy the Accumulation class you won't have any dividends to reinvest, they are retained within the fund
  • Coolbeans
    Coolbeans Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Ahhh, Sorry for the silly question. That makes perfect sense. Just when i was setting the account up it asked me whether i wanted auto dividend reinvestments which confused me a little. For long term i.e ten year investment. I would assume an accumulation fund is obviously the way to go then? And will save me charges on reinvesting dividends as opposed to if i took an income fund.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Coolbeans wrote: »
    Ahhh, Sorry for the silly question. That makes perfect sense. Just when i was setting the account up it asked me whether i wanted auto dividend reinvestments which confused me a little. For long term i.e ten year investment. I would assume an accumulation fund is obviously the way to go then? And will save me charges on reinvesting dividends as opposed to if i took an income fund.

Correct.....
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Yes, the accumulation fund is certainly the simplest method for anyone with an ISA.

However, remember that Halifax will want to take their £12.50 admin fee every year, so if you are not getting paid any dividends you need to have some money that's not actually invested sitting around to pay the annual fee, otherwise Halifax would have no choice but to sell some shares in your fund to create some cash for them to take as their fee, and would charge you a fee for doing that, so you would get extra fees.

If you had the "income" class instead you would be generating cash every dividend date so would always have easily enough to pay the ongoing fees (because for example £5k invested would be paying you over £50 a year and the fees are only £12.50 a year) but then your problem would eventually be too much money sitting on the sidelines. If you have it auto-reinvested you have to pay a high 2% fee to do that, which is undesirable, and auto reinvesting all the divs means that no cash is actually left over to pay the annual fee which then defeats the point of using income units in the first place.

So, when you invest your lump sum, make sure you leave a bit of cash left over so they can take their fee from that if you don't bother to log into the account and add new money - and then you won't need to pay fees to sell shares to get cash for fees.
  • oldfella
    oldfella Posts: 1,534 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    they normally take mine via direct debit to the linked bank account
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business