Can you work while on Jsa

Comments

• Actually your statement is not true and you'd be suprised by how many get caught with the 16 hour rule.

example

If you are working 15 hours a week and earning £10 an hour you'd be earning £150.00 less tax etc. So why would you think you'd receive JSA on top of earning £150.00 a week.

I work in benefit fraud and this is the question they throw at you if you plead the 16 hour rule.

If you're earning over 16 hours then you claim WTC

I think you need to read the rule book!
  • junayda
    junayda Posts: 20 Forumite
    Bobl wrote: »
    And that is theft - of my hard earned money that I have to pay in tax to keep people like you! You make me sick and give people who are not playing the system a bad name.

That's so mean. You've no idea if the poster is playing the system, they just asked a simple question. Geez :rolleyes:
    I'm a secret lemonade drinker :whistle:
  • hanny83_2
    hanny83_2 Posts: 327 Forumite
    I think what Ms Money Penny meant was that in IUCs customers tend to use the under 16 hour rule as an excuse - that they thought they could work under 16 hours without declaring it. But of course, we all know that one must declare any work.
    Hanny:easter_ba
  • Ms-Money-Penny
    Ms-Money-Penny Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    I think you need to read the rule book!

So you think it's okay for someone to earn £150.00 a week plus claim jsa .

Will phone Jobcentre tomorrow and make an appointment and go part time then and claim my £60.50 JSA a week. sorted.
  • So you think it's okay for someone to earn £150.00 a week plus claim jsa .

Will phone Jobcentre tomorrow and make an appointment and go part time then and claim my £60.50 JSA a week. sorted.

Eh?

You said you worked in benefit fraud a moment ago? You should know the rules!
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 April 2009 at 9:03PM
    So you think it's okay for someone to earn £150.00 a week plus claim jsa .

Any money earned above the first £5 gets taken off your JSA, so you could in theory sign on but you wouldn't get any money off them.

I recently signed on for the first time after being made redundant from my day job (9-5 office work). I also have a 2nd job working less than 16 hours in a shop in the evenings. I am able to claim JSA but am only entitled to just over £12 per week as they take off the £52 I earn in the shop.

I am still classed as being a job seeker as I am seeking another full-time day job and I also get my NI paid.
    :p
  • Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    junayda wrote: »
    That's so mean. You've no idea if the poster is playing the system, they just asked a simple question. Geez :rolleyes:

If you read the post correctly you will see I was replying to another post who suggested working cash in hand.

Geez - read before you post :naughty:
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
  • Bobl wrote: »
    And that is theft - of my hard earned money that I have to pay in tax to keep people like you! You make me sick and give people who are not playing the system a bad name.

people like me? I pay more tax than you see in a year. Tit.
  • Actually your statement is not true and you'd be suprised by how many get caught with the 16 hour rule.

example

If you are working 15 hours a week and earning £10 an hour you'd be earning £150.00 less tax etc. So why would you think you'd receive JSA on top of earning £150.00 a week.

I work in benefit fraud and this is the question they throw at you if you plead the 16 hour rule.

If you're earning over 16 hours then you claim WTC

Surely you are talking about people who do not declare it though? The OP as far as we know may be offered a few hours and want to take them to enable them to get more work in the future.

People tend to forget that the job centre also has a responsibility to assist people into employment and that people often use it as such a resource until they find full time permanent employment.
  • Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    While looking for pwermanent work, can you do part time work and still sign on declaring all work you have done, i.e. agency work a day here and there filling in for permanents who are absent from work, otherwise it means signing off for two or three days and then going through the whole process of signing on again plus the knock on effect on housing and council tax benefits. Just a general interest question as I cannot do odd days here and there while looking for permanent work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure