How To Legally Stop Paying Your Tv Licence!

Options

Comments

• SEASHELL22
    Options
    Wish it would work - but not sure it would be that easy!
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't mind paying but I do think it's expensive.
    I think some of the ones who are on massive pay deals should be gotten rid of - they ain't that good - and new presenters should come in every couple of years.
    It gets boring seeing the same old people year in year out.
  • Treadway1
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    I don't mind paying but I do think it's expensive.
    I think some of the ones who are on massive pay deals should be gotten rid of - they ain't that good - and new presenters should come in every couple of years.
    It gets boring seeing the same old people year in year out.

I really dont think 38p a day is that expensive. I know everyone criticises the BBC for its lack of content, but they do have some great documentaries and comedy.

Its like when people complain about the price of stamps. They place the letter in the post box, someone drives out to collect it, then drives it to another person who sorts it, then it gets sent half way across the country, to another person who sorts it again, before it gets passed to another person who gets in their van, or on their bike and delivers driectly to the door of the person you want to get it.... And for that you have to pay 37p!!!! Outrageous! :p

(Just in case anyone doesnt get it.... That last bit was sarcasm :D )
  • PsiDOC
    PsiDOC Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    By law you require a television licence if you recieve television broadcasts, or you television has the ability to recieve any television broadcasts. Ie: if you turn the television on and you can see a picture or it can be tuned to see a picture then you are required by law to purchase a television licence.

The treason thing is an arguable case granted, however it probably would not hold up in a court of law and until a test case is heared you will never know so are putting yourself at risk of a fine or imprisonment.

On a personal note I do resent paying for Chris Moyle's early morning taxis to work and would willingly stop paying the licence however the missus wouldn't have the front to tell the Licencing henchmen call where to go. So I add it to the likes of the council tax bill under the heading of yet another government rip off scam and pay up to keep the peace.

Psi
    Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
    Where an old man of Aran goes around and around....

• chog24
    chog24 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, I approve of paying TV licence.:o

My little bear watches ceebeebies which is a channel with quality programming, much of it original, age specific and - really important - no adverts for little bear to start 'wanting' things.

Without the money from the TV licence we would be unlikely to have Last Night of the Proms or the Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall, at least in their current state. Even if you do not watch them, it is surely one of those things that would make the nation that bit lesser if they were not there.

The website for the BBC is amazing, and you can find all sorts on there - it was vital to me for info when I became pregnant.

The independent BBC has managed in the past to fund things like 'Life on Earth' which would be unthinkable for a commercial station, and how about Walking with Dinosaurs? That broke the ground for others to follow and has been a great boost to entertainment.

All political parties complain about BBC bias, which generally means that there isn't any overall bias.

The BBC produces Watchdog, which is frequently referred to on these boards, and which would be much harder to fund if advertisers were involved.

The BBC produces programmes that are not commercial, but that increase the value of life. There are really good programmes produced by commercial channels, for instance Time Team, and some of the stuff on Channel Four and Five are really good. However I think some of the viewing figures for Friends help fund those (isn't some of the money distributed pro-rata?). It is just that there are more quality documentaries from the BBC, due to the way their funding works, and you still have access to things like 'The World at War' and 'Ascent of Man'.

The BBC, because it is not answerable can take more risks, which occasionally produces a Jonathan Ross but sometimes produces shows like that of John Peel.

So, for less money than I would spend on a non-tabloid newspaper every day I get a great deal, and so do a lot of other people who wouldn't care less about Walking with Dinosaurs but really enjoy the rugby, or Radio One, or the Weakest Link, or the News, or Radio Three. I spend more on milk per month than I do on my TV licence.

So I don't mind paying :o

Abso-effin-lutely! I use my TV, I listen to the radio and I prefer not to have to resort to commercial stations if it can possibly be helped. There are some shows on the BBC which I don't watch/listen to, but the vast array of shows I enjoy and find both informative and entertaining are well worth my £11 per month.

I'm right with wannabe sybil on this issue. The TV license is a good thing because it prevents us from having no choice but the lowest common denominator.
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The "Don't pay your TV licence" threads have been around for years, and indeed it does seem that many people get away with not paying if they can put up with the constant harrassment via threatening letters and doorstop bullies.

For my part, I don't mind paying it so long as I continue to get value for money out of quality programs, and the BBC doesn't fall victim to becoming a mouthpiece for a corrupt government.

The one thing I do object to very strongly on principle, is the stance adopted by the licence administrators (is it Capita?) that every single household must surely have a TV and, ergo, if you don't possess a licence you are automatically treated as a criminal. There are many people out there, and I know a few, who have opted for a life without television and have notified the licencing administration of this fact, but still continue to receive threatening letters for non-payment and a procession of bullies at their door threatening to enter their home by force.

This is more reminiscent of Nazi Germany, not a supposedly civilised society.

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • poppypicanto
    Options
    people people people. I just can not believe the number of people who honestly believe that paying the tv license is ok. WHAT !! Ok, if we had a choice then fair play, but just stop and think for one second.....think about the word "choice"....and think about what that actually means. If we can choose whether we pay the fee, and choose whether we watch BBC programmes then fair enough - BUT WE DONT !!!!! It's a tax ! It's a fee where you have to pay it or else ! It's a rip off. It's a con !!! I for one don't have a great deal of money and what money I do have needs to be spent on IMPORTANT things such as food, rent, heating and day to day living costs.......but NOT the flippen BBC for crying out loud. Wake up people.....we are all being ripped off whether you can see it or not. The bbc should flood the screens with adverts in my opinion, and give us all a financial break. In fact, get rid of the bbc for crying out loud - who honestly cares. RIP OFF !!! give me back my £140 a year.
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    people people people. I just can not believe the number of people who honestly believe that paying the tv license is ok. ..... RIP OFF !!! give me back my £140 a year.

So you paid it then ??? :confused:

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • Harveycat_2
    Harveycat_2 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    edited 3 May 2009 at 9:18PM
    Options
    My daughter started Uni last year. She has spent her first year in Uni accommodation. Anxious to stay on the right side of the law and not put her at risk of a criminal prosecution I bought her a TV licence. There are 9 kids in her block. She is the only one with a licence.

I was incensed when I originally bought it to discover that there are no concessions for students, they pay the full fee. It's a national disgrace when one considers that convicts in all prison establishments and the criminally insane (including murderers, psychopathic !!!!!philes, rapists and predatory sex fiends) in Special Hospitals get them for free.

I certainly will not be buying one next year when she moves out to a shared house. The government can take a running jump.
  • Harveycat_2
    Harveycat_2 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!phile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business