If your cars mot has run out, is your insurance void?

Comments

• 3v3
    3v3 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Outpost wrote: »
    Cars need insurance? :)
    I think you need to sit down.
    Do you have anyone who can come and sit with you? A close friend? Relative?

I have some sad news for you; not only do they need insurance with the MOT, but also (brace yourself, this may hurt) t.a.x.

Deep breaths! Deeeeeeeeep breaths!!!!!!!!

(Someone call a medic!!!!!!! - Outpost is showing signs of heart failure ..... Think it's shock induced .... )
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If the ombudsmans ruling states that no MOT does not mean you are not insured, have drivers wrongly been convicted for driving without insurance based on the invalid terms in some insurance policies?.
  • Outpost
    Outpost Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    3v3 wrote: »
    I think you need to sit down.
    I am sitting down. Very few people use a computer standing up.
    Do you have anyone who can come and sit with you? A close friend? Relative?
    Nope. Just balloon animals with faces drawn on them with a Sharpie.
    I have some sad news for you; not only do they need insurance with the MOT, but also (brace yourself, this may hurt) t.a.x.
    I have insurance, an MOT and tax.

Must get round to buying a car to go with them...
    :cool:
  • 3v3
    3v3 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Outpost wrote: »
    I am sitting down. Very few people use a computer standing up.

Nope. Just balloon animals with faces drawn on them with a Sharpie.

I have insurance, an MOT and tax.

Must get round to buying a car to go with them...
    :rotfl::T:rotfl::beer:
  • Outpost
    Outpost Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    2071929701_dc260438fb_2.jpg

See? This is Paul the Dragon.
    :cool:
  • If the ombudsmans ruling states that no MOT does not mean you are not insured, have drivers wrongly been convicted for driving without insurance based on the invalid terms in some insurance policies?.

Probably not as the terms may not be invalid or illegal.
    Just because the ombudsman has stated that no MOT doesn't mean that your insurance is invalid doesn't mean that an insurer can't have a clause in the policy stating that to have a policy with them your car must have an MOT. (if required.)

Some insurance companies won't insure young drivers if they don't have a "spy box" fitted. Having to have this box isn't a legal requirement, simply an insurance Co requirement, but fail to have one if your policy states you must, and your policy will probably be invalidated.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If the ombudsmans ruling states that no MOT does not mean you are not insured, have drivers wrongly been convicted for driving without insurance based on the invalid terms in some insurance policies?.

I don't know. Does this actually happen? The insurance policy would not automatically become void for no MOT, so third party cover would still exist.

How far do the police go when investigating these instances? Surely it's just a straight ticket (with no points) for no MOT? They don't start looking at the Ts & Cs of each policy, do they?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 1 July 2011 at 8:57AM
    How far do the police go when investigating these instances? Surely it's just a straight ticket (with no points) for no MOT? They don't start looking at the Ts & Cs of each policy, do they?
    If a police officer believed your expired MOT invalidated your insurance and contacted your insurance company who then confirmed this belief by stating the T&C, it's unlikely the police officer would then accept a drivers reasoning that the ombudsman has over-ruled this condition. This would result in a driver either being prosecuted for driving uninsured or having to prove their insurance is valid which would not be simple.

Are the police aware of the ombudsmans ruling?, and has the ombudsmans ruling stopped these unfair terms being shown in insurance policies?
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Probably not as the terms may not be invalid or illegal.
    Just because the ombudsman has stated that no MOT doesn't mean that your insurance is invalid doesn't mean that an insurer can't have a clause in the policy stating that to have a policy with them your car must have an MOT. (if required.)

Some insurance companies won't insure young drivers if they don't have a "spy box" fitted. Having to have this box isn't a legal requirement, simply an insurance Co requirement, but fail to have one if your policy states you must, and your policy will probably be invalidated.

But if you take the box off, or exceed the miles, or drive out of time and don't pay, you still have third party liability, whatever it says in the t&c's. The insurer may try to recover it off you later, but they'll still have to pay out.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    If an police officer believed your expired MOT invalidated your insurance and contacted your insurance company who then confirmed this belief by stating the T&C, it's unlikely the police officer would then accept a drivers reasoning that the ombudsman has over-ruled this condition. This would result in a driver either being prosecuted for driving uninsured or having to prove their insurance is valid which would not be simple.

Are the police aware of the ombudsmans ruling?, and has the ombudsmans ruling stopped these unfair terms being shown in insurance policies?

but that doesn't mean the insurance is void.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure