IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Adaptis Solutions Railway Byelaw s14

Options

Comments

• Handbags-at-dawn
    Handbags-at-dawn Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2018 at 2:59PM
    Options
    .... the proper process should be: TOC/agent gets DVLA data, TOC/agent somehow needs to prove keeper is driver/owner (CCTV?), TOC/agent then needs to bring a private prosecution to criminal court, TOC/agent then needs to prove beyond reasonable doubt keeper or identified person is driver/owner. All this needs to be done within 6 months.
    That pretty well sums it up - except they can't prosecute the owner. It's not an offence to be the owner of a car that was parked in breach of the Byelaws.

Next quote from your thread (sorry, couldn't figure out how to do it):
    " I would be interested to hear whether a Criminal Court would accept that a logical deduction is that the keeper is also the owner. I would think not, but I read on another forum, that a magistrate accepted this as their was no denial and simply asked the keeper if he was the owner, and he admitted he was as he could not lie under oath. Is a magistrate allowed to do this?

There is no presumption the registered keeper is the driver, and if there is no evidence who was driving then the Magistrates should acquit (tho sadly, miscarriages of justice are not unknown!). It's obviously best if the Defendant can go into the witness box and deny it (as, it seems, you can).

But if the Defendant is not in a position to deny it, he should not give evidence because once he is in the witness box he will simply be asked. Instead, he should leave it to the Prosecution to prove their case. He can then make a submission of no case to answer: i.e submit there is no evidence whatsoever that puts him behind the wheel; therefore the prosecution case, taken at its highest, is such that they cannot properly convict (ramming home the standard of proof - they would have to be sure.).

Next quote:
    "Even if we conclude that the Operator does have that right to seek info from the DVLA, the DVLA should not be able to pass data through the KADOE scheme, for issues we've previously discussed."

DVLA don't care. People have been complaining about this for years but they just come back with things like (and I quote): "As the focus of the KADOE contract relates to disclosure of data, rather than specifics around the Byelaws, the Agency is content that there is reasonable cause to disclose vehicle keeper data in the circumstances." What???? And these are the guys who are going to ensure strict adherence to the new Code of Practice when the Bill becomes law. Yippee.

By the way, it''s interesting that Indigo have used Adaptis to send out this NtK. It's usually ZZPS. I'm guessing this must be for the ANPR car parks. Here's another one from a year ago - same TOC perhaps - GTR? http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5529009&highlight=adaptis&page=2#topofpage
    Post 26 has a Dropbox link to their agreement with GTR.
  • financerulez
    Options
    That pretty well sums it up - except they can't prosecute the owner. It's not an offence to be the owner of a car that was parked in breach of the Byelaws.

Thanks Handbags - Why is this? It says Owner may be liable for penalties in the byelaws. I've read some theories that if the Owner isn't on railway land, the byelaws can't be applied because the original legislation only applies to railway land. Is that the reason? Do we know if this has ever been tested in practice?
  • financerulez
    Options
    Update: I have emailed the DVLA asking for the info that PG suggested, will wait on hearing from them.

Here is a washed copy of the letter I received:

https://ibb.co/jSkJWS
    https://ibb.co/bRRsrS

Choose which errors you fancy - anything from Keeper not being responsible, this being a Criminal matter not enforceable through County Court, to the fact that they aren't on the BPA membership list, to the fact they say they will refer to POPLA.

Will prepare a reply to send on day 26/27, and post on here before sending!
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Update: I have emailed the DVLA asking for the info that PG suggested, will wait on hearing from them.

Here is a washed copy of the letter I received:

https://ibb.co/jSkJWS
    https://ibb.co/bRRsrS

Choose which errors you fancy - anything from Keeper not being responsible, this being a Criminal matter not enforceable through County Court, to the fact that they aren't on the BPA membership list, to the fact they say they will refer to POPLA.

Will prepare a reply to send on day 26/27, and post on here before sending!

to a non ATA COMPANY?

TO A COMPANY THAT HAS NOT INCLUDED ALL ITS DETAILS (COMPANY NUMBER)?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • financerulez
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    to a non ATA COMPANY?

Assuming those membership lists do not update to include Adaptis, do I have a valid claim for a DPA breach? Can't be sure without reply from DVLA, but I think Indigo will have accessed my data and passed it to Adaptis who as you say are not an ATA company. Or are they allowed to pass data to non-registered sub-contractors? Noticed ZZPS are ATA registered who they've used previously, but not Adaptis.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    as stated previously , several groups of companies can ask for data

credit services
    finance
    debt collection
    parking Cos

however there are specific forms to fill in dependent of type of company

google v888 , you will see 3 different ones , v888/3 HAS to be used by parking cos
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

credit services
    finance
    debt collection
    parking Cos

google v888 , you will see 3 different ones , v888/3 HAS to be used by parking cos

But surely that doesn't mean a finance company can use their access to set up a sideline as a car park operator.
  • financerulez
    Options

credit services
    finance
    debt collection
    parking Cos

Oh yeah - thanks! Guess I will have to wait for the DVLA response then, before being able to bring these points in. If for example it was accessed through KADOE by say Indigo, who are they allowed to pass my data to? Not the TOC as confirmed by the FOI request, but some sub-contractors/debt collectors seem to have been allowed in the past, e.g. ZZPS. Ignore the smaller breaches like no popla, bad signage, etc. Do these sub-contractors needs to be ATA registered? Ie if Indigo retrieved data through KADOE and passed it to Adaptis who aren't ATA registered (despite their letter saying they are) does an automatic breach occur because Adaptis actually aren't ATA registered?
  • Handbags-at-dawn
    Options
    Thanks Handbags - Why is this? It says Owner may be liable for penalties in the byelaws. I've read some theories that if the Owner isn't on railway land, the byelaws can't be applied because the original legislation only applies to railway land. Is that the reason? Do we know if this has ever been tested in practice?

The Byelaw says "The owner may be liable to pay a penalty as displayed in the area". So the first thing to ask is: penalty imposed by whom? The point is, no-one apart from the Magistrates' Court can impose a penalty for breach of the Byelaws. Even the DfT has, albeit reluctantly, confirmed this - see the bottom paragraph of the first page of this letter: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/311011/response/770331/attach/2/F0013227%20Follow%20Up%20Reply.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

So what are these "penalties" that TOCs try to get people to pay? The only thing they can be is an offer to accept a sum of money in lieu of prosecution - a sort of out-of-court settlement (a bribe?). Indeed, Indigo's other debt collectors ZZPS,as well as the DVLA and BPA, describe them as "offers of resolution".

No one is obliged to accept an offer. It is certainly not an offence to reject it (despite what is falsely suggested on the car park signs). As Steve Clark of the BPA says: "there is no law anywhere that forces a motorist to accept the £100 charge". In short, no-one - whether owner, keeper or driver, is legally obliged to pay it.

When it comes to prosecution, offences under the relevant Byelaws (14/ 1-3) can only be committed by the "person in charge". There is no offence that the owner per se can be prosecuted for.
  • financerulez
    Options

The Byelaw says "The owner may be liable to pay a penalty as displayed in the area". So the first thing to ask is: penalty imposed by whom? The point is, no-one apart from the Magistrates' Court can impose a penalty for breach of the Byelaws. Even the DfT has, albeit reluctantly, confirmed this - see the bottom paragraph of the first page of this letter: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/311011/response/770331/attach/2/F0013227%20Follow%20Up%20Reply.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

So what are these "penalties" that TOCs try to get people to pay? The only thing they can be is an offer to accept a sum of money in lieu of prosecution - a sort of out-of-court settlement (a bribe?). Indeed, Indigo's other debt collectors ZZPS,as well as the DVLA and BPA, describe them as "offers of resolution".

No one is obliged to accept an offer. It is certainly not an offence to reject it (despite what is falsely suggested on the car park signs). As Steve Clark of the BPA says: "there is no law anywhere that forces a motorist to accept the £100 charge". In short, no-one - whether owner, keeper or driver, is legally obliged to pay it.

When it comes to prosecution, offences under the relevant Byelaws (14/ 1-3) can only be committed by the "person in charge". There is no offence that the owner per se can be prosecuted for.

Do we have any confirmation from Dft / any Court cases for that reasoning? Ie has any Owner (not driver) been prosecuted in Mag Court?

14(4) In England and Wales
    (i) The owner of any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance used, left or placed in breach of Byelaw 14(1) to 14(3) may be liable to pay a penalty as displayed in that area.

24. Enforcement
    (1) Offence and level of fines
    Any person who breaches any of these Byelaws commits an offence and, with the exception of Byelaw 17, may be liable for each such offence to a penalty not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

I agree the Owner could not be prosecuted for 14(1)-(3). But there is no reference to persons in charge in 14(4). Could they not be brought to Magistrates under this offence, for the Magistrate to decide on the meaning of "may" and whether the Owner should be held liable? Ie TOC cannot track driver. Assumption that TOC finds out who Owner is somehow. TOC takes Owner to Mag Court as they may have liability to pay a penalty as displayed in that area (£1000). Mag then decides if Owner has liability and imposes said fine.

The 'may be liable" is the difficulty, and we have no criteria to judge on whether the Owner has liability or not. Is there any FOI request I could make to find out? Don't think so. I could FOI how many cases for owner liability in the case of bylaw 14 breaches have gone to Mag Court. I have a feeling it may be 0 lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure