Micro Investing

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before but a search didn't throw any threads up.

Do any of you use M0ney B0x or similar to micro invest? You link the app to your debit card and then every time you spend money it gets rounded up and invested. E.g. a £1.80 coffee will get rounded up to £2 and the 20p will be set aside to be invested.

I'm only just looking into it and I think it's fairly new so wondered if anyone had any experience of investing this way? It sounds like a fun and easy way to save without needing huge sums to get started but I'm wondering if the small amounts will make it worth it?

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I would have thought the costs of investing small amounts would outweigh any gains unless you reach maybe a few hundred pound before investing anything.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,595 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Far cheaper and easier to setup a DD for £25 per month or whatever. But if you're looking at investing small amounts because that's all you have then surely you want to sort an emergency fund first.
    I said before that £25 was worth starting with but 20p really isn't worth the bother in my view.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Radiantsoul
    Radiantsoul Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    They have a monthly fee of £1 per month and a platform fee of 0.45%. To be fair it seems pretty reasonable, but if you are only investing a few quid a month it is going to be a bit of a killer.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    These schemes are utterly pointless. Lets say on average you make 20 transactions a month. So on average that would be £10 of "change" saved. Minus the £1 fee of course.

So, why not just save £10 a month instead and cut out the pointless middleman and the £1 fee? You'd be up more than 10% to start with.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It certainly isn't new, as several banks have offered this, free of charge, for some years. And the fee quoted above sounds extortionate compared to the small sums that you would be saving.

Consider the other options and do it yourself.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    They have a monthly fee of £1 per month and a platform fee of 0.45%.

Blimey. If an IFA charged an initial fee of 10% all hell would break loose on these boards.

But they aren't providing advice so it's all OK.

The thing about investing is that if you put pennies in you get pennies out.
  • Thanks for the replies. To clarify a couple of points; I do have an emergency fund so that's not an issue. And I meant that the M0ney B0x app was new, not the concept.

The general consensus seems to be that it's just not worth it, given the fees and small sums - which is the question I wondered about so thanks all for confirming!
  • You would do better to do as jimjames suggests and invest £25 per month if you only have a small amount of disposable income but if your finances are that tight I would hold off altogether as you may need it unless your emergency fund is reasonable. You need to be looking at this as long term, unlikely to be touched money. Do you have a pension?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • My finances are not 'that tight' and I do have a pension. I was asking about M0ney B0x as I had just come across it and it seemed like a fun way for a complete beginner to start investing without needing a £10k lump sum, not because I am in dire financial straits!

I think I'll drop out of this discussion now, thanks for the replies.
  • I have Moneybox! I just got the app a few weeks ago. I think it's a fun/easy way to put money aside without thinking about it or doing much, and you can top up extra when you like so that £1 fee doesn't feel like such a big percentage (also I'm pretty sure the first three months are free).

I've been saying for at least a couple of years I'll open a stocks and shares ISA and not done anything - my spare change slips through my fingers at the end of the month, so it works for me!
    Giant London-sized mortgage (started July 2017) £472,561 /£499,000 Current LTV 85%
    S&S ISA £947
    EF: £15,000£15,000 100% to goal
    Renovation fund: £7,275/£10,000 72.5% to goal
    Car savings fund: £9,580/£13,000 73.6% to goal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business