Hogging right lane

Options

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    For no other reason than trying to control and annoy other drivers!

I find that the older I get, the more I come to realise that everybody else is dedicating their whole existence to annoying me, and making my life that little tiny bit more miserable than it is already.

:D

My favourite annoying thing is when I'm approaching a parked car on my side, and I can see another vehicle coming towards me. A quick mental calculation and I know we will meet at the car, so I ease off a bit, but they slow down too, so the closer I get the slower I go, until I stop, and so do they, then they flash their lights and wave for ne to go through.
    Arrrrrrrrrrgh!!!! if they had just kept going I'd have been half way to work by now, so I'm annoyed at the time wasted and having to mess with the gears and stuff, but they think that they have done me a favour. :mad::mad:
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    facade wrote: »

My favourite annoying thing is when I'm approaching a parked car on my side, and I can see another vehicle coming towards me. A quick mental calculation and I know we will meet at the car, so I ease off a bit, but they slow down too, so the closer I get the slower I go, until I stop, and so do they, then they flash their lights and wave for ne to go through.
    Arrrrrrrrrrgh!!!! if they had just kept going I'd have been half way to work by now, so I'm annoyed at the time wasted and having to mess with the gears and stuff, but they think that they have done me a favour. :mad::mad:

errr of course the oncoming driver is not thinking the same about you.........
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    I suppose you could repeatedly refer to "the driver", but it gets a bit repetitive without the use of he/she.
    The way some of the comments are going you could always alternate "the driver" with "the accused" or even "the guilty party" :D
  • Joe_Horner
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »

On the other hand, on a dual-carriageway that ends with a roundabout, moving into the RH lane half a mile before the roundabout, is nothing short of passive-aggressive behaviour.

There are plenty of times when moving to the rh lane half a mile before a turn / roundabout is not only sensible but also correct, safe, and best thing for overall traffic flow.

Diving across at the last minute because you've left it later and are running out of options is a big cause of needless tailbacks.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been flashed by drivers for not zig-zagging between lorries and slow vehicles. Changing lanes on multi lane roads is one of the most dangerous maneuvers you can do. It involves blind spots etc. So should be done as efficiently as possible. If I see another lorry is a short space of distance ahead of the last, I don't move into the lane until I have passed it.

I have seen people moved into the right lane coming off one roundabout because they know they will be turning right at the next roundabout in a quarter of a mile. At the same time they are doing 30 in a 50 on a dual carriageway. These idiots make people consider undertaking which due to blind spots can be filled with danger.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    There are plenty of times when moving to the rh lane half a mile before a turn / roundabout is not only sensible but also correct, safe, and best thing for overall traffic flow.
    But not on a dual carriageway with a 40mph limit.
    Diving across at the last minute because you've left it later and are running out of options is a big cause of needless tailbacks.
    There will always be an opportunity to manoeuvre in an orderly fashion at the right time. But an inexperienced driver will take some time to understand this.

Until you have more experience, if you do find yourself in the wrong lane again, keep indicating right - drivers behind you need to understand why you are there, travelling no faster than cars in the LH lane, so that they can drive accordingly and safely. You won't get flashed then (so much).
  • Joe_Horner
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    But not on a dual carriageway with a 40mph limit.

There will always be an opportunity to manoeuvre in an orderly fashion at the right time. But an inexperienced driver will take some time to understand this.

Until you have more experience, if you do find yourself in the wrong lane again, keep indicating right - drivers behind you need to understand why you are there, travelling no faster than cars in the LH lane, so that they can drive accordingly and safely. You won't get flashed then (so much).

I've got 30+ years (accident free) experience and there are still PLENTY of times when moving over late isn't safe.

Mainly because of all the other drivers who insist on staying left to the last minute and causing chaos as they all barge across, annoying drivers in the r/h lane, and causing them to concertina.

Incidentally, I also tend to be the one being held up rather than holding people up but I just don't get wound up by it. Different drivers make different judgements and, within a very wide margin, they're all valid. People who can't allow for that should be taking a long hard look at their own attitude to the road.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The difference of opinion seems to be about when is too early to move over - and that's a judgement call based on experience. Joe Horner has a point that it is better to move early than swing across at the last minute - if you can read the road ahead and see that there will not be an opportunity to do so at the ideal distance from the junction. But some inexperienced drivers move too early and do impede other traffic unnecessarily.

Judging the right point can be based on traffic conditions at the time (is Lane 2 busy and gaps infrequent?); what are you driving (boliston has pointed this out); whether you have local knowledge or are following satnav on an unfamiliar road.; is the right turn at a roundabout, traffic lights or just a break in the central reservation where you will have to wait for a gap in the opposite traffic.

I don't think I know enough to judge whether the OP moved too early in this case because we haven't heard enough to answer those issues. 40 mph limit on a dual carriageway makes me think urban or suburban A road rather than rural A road. How heavy was the traffic? Is the right turn well-signed (i.e. is it obvious to a following driver {who may not be a local} that there may be people wanting to turn right?)

The tailgater is probably in the wrong. If there was room in Lane 1 for them to go around the OP, then perhaps they should already have been in Lane 1. If OP was indicating for a right turn, passing on the left isn't necessarily wrong.

The OP may have unwittingly contributed by moving earlier than strictly necessary; indicating too late and or missing a fast approaching vehicle in Lane 2. But I can't say definitely.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How do you refer to someone without using he/she/it in a properly constructed sentence?

I suppose you could repeatedly refer to "the driver", but it gets a bit repetitive without the use of he/she.
    Just use the word "They".
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    How do you refer to someone without using he/she/it in a properly constructed sentence?

Really? It's very simple. Using the original comment as an example with varied construction:

In what way is the OP 'policing' the road?
    In what way is the OP not concentrating on their own driving? Bear in mind that as a driver you are expected to have an awareness of your surroundings.

Nothing in their post suggests they did anything wrong. They were doing the correct speed, and were in the correct lane ready for an approaching junction.

It sounds like they had an idiot behind them; it's as simple as that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure