Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    LL thank you for your wise words. I hope you are feeling a lot better when you accompany your daughter-in-law to London on Sunday :)
  • sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I finally got to see the film Wonder on Thursday at my local Odeon and I found it totally engrossing and so moving that it had me laughing and close to tears. It is a film that really engages all of your emotions. I would give this film 9.5/10 :D

I used my Premier points to pay for my ticket, so that I did not have to use any cash. So another really MSE trip to the cinema. :T

I am having a really relaxing weekend, I am catching up with TV programmes and films I have recorded and I am also doing some reading. I am snuggling down in the warmth of my home as the snow has returned and I do not want to go out in the extreme cold.

I hope you are all having a good weekend.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hello Ladies,
    I finally got to see the film Wonder on Thursday at my local Odeon and I found it totally engrossing and so moving that it had me laughing and close to tears. It is a film that really engages all of your emotions. I would give this film 9.5/10 :D
    I am delurking Sugarbabe to say I agree 'Wonder' was a lovely film. I was wondering whether your Odeon did silver screen movies for £3. I think you have to be 55+ I am not that age but I have never been questioned (Don't know whether to be pleased or not about that) they also provide tea or coffee for that price!

I know you have taken a financial hit so I hope things look up soon. You are always so positive and I do admire you for that :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • sugarbaby125
    Hello Doing it anyway,

I discovered Odeon did Silver Screen when I was 54 and I love it. :D What is not to love about seeing films for only £3? :) It is also great to get a free cup of tea and biscuits for free. :)
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello Doing it anyway,

I discovered Odeon did Silver Screen when I was 54 and I love it. :D What is not to love about seeing films for only £3? :) It is also great to get a free cup of tea and biscuits for free. :)

I remember going to a mother and baby screening when I was on maternity leave, but instead of getting tea and biscuits, I got nappy cream!

Going to the cinema is so expensive otherwise, so it’s worth looking for deals. Although the early morning screenings aren’t ideal, at least the cinema isnt really busy.
  • sugarbaby125
    Chanie,

Odeon and other cinema chains do Mother and baby screenings. :)

Streatham Odeon does 2 silver screen shows at least of each film on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 11am and 2pm. Some films will have 4 shows over 2 weeks. The free cup of tea or coffee and as many biscuits as you want is a welcome treat for each of us and causes other cinema goers watching other films to be annoyed that they too are not allowed this free treat. ;)

With popular films the cinema will be almost full, but as everyone is mature, there is no noise, no talking and no mobile phones in use so we all get to watch the film in peace and quiet :D

I have got my Groupon Odeon e-tickets to use up in the coming weeks, so I will enjoy seeing films I have been looking forward to watching at an inexpensive price :)
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Streatham Odeon

That’s my where I did my mother and baby screening!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    :wave: Hello Everyone!

I've just done a quick catch up of the posts. Great to hear all your news.:)

I've had a lovely 10 days or so celebrating my birthday. Thanks for the good wishes:). My lunch party on the Sunday went amazingly well. I had lots of compliments and felt a million dollars in my new Top Shop dress. I owe so much to this thread as I now take great care to look my best as a matter of routine.

Italy was great. Most of all it's lovely to spend time with my DH as everyday life has a habit of getting in the way at home. Like the other two centre trips I've done, I probably preferred Venice to the larger city of Milan but I'm glad we went to both.

I've spent today sorting out washing, food shopping and catching up with correspondence. We're away again over Easter and a couple of other meals out in between so I'm determined to get back to proper healthy eating when I can. I asked DH what he fancied for dinner tonight and his reply was 'Vegetables!!'. They're always a bit thin on the ground in restaurants.

It came as a bit of a shock to get home to snow last night. Hope you managed to get to the embassy LL.

Next target for fabness for me is a wedding on the May Bank Holiday weekend. I'm thinking I might like a new dress, something spring/summery but it could still be snowing!:D:rotfl:
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 March 2018 at 9:35PM
    Maman, Glad to see you back and to hear that you had such a lovely time. I bet you were the belle of the ball. And yes, this thread does help us to stay on track.....well it helps me anyway.

I had a lovely time in London. My DIL is good company and we had lots of fun together. It was nice to have some time together just she and I and get down to some serious bonding......:rotfl:

It was very cold, my knee played up and she gets very tired (she is not having the easiest of pregnancies bless her) so we did not venture onto the tube system, we used taxis. Sounds wildly extravagant but the hotel was central so the taxi bills were not too bad.

We managed to get cheap tickets for the Criterion theatre to see a play called The Comedy About A Bank Robbery. It was hilarious. It was very witty and relied heavily on word play and I did think DIL would struggle a bit but she completely got it and loved it. Her English is really good now although she still struggles a bit with TV programmes like Catchphrase but she is Learning fast. Well she is a bright girl...:rotfl:

When we came out of the theatre it was snowing so rather than wander round the West End looking for a nice restaurant we just dived into the Angus Steakhouse which was just opposite the theatre. Not terribly exciting but the steaks were good.

We made up for it today. DIL was in and out of the Embassy in record quick time. I think people might have been put off by the bad weather so there were no queues. After she had had a little rest at the hotel we headed off to a Venezuelan restaurant she wanted to show me and had a slap up lunch before coming home.

I love London and if I could afford a property I would move down there in a heartbeat. So much to see and do and if you are a bit savvy I really do not think it actually costs more than any other city. So much is even free.

I know a lot of people say that it is not a friendly city but I can honestly say I have never had any difficulty in chatting to people or making contact. We found people to be friendly, courteous and helpful and we struck up conversations with lots of people, in restaurants, in the theatre, in the hotel bar.

Now you all know how much I like people watching .......well what better place than London to engage in one of my favourite pursuits.......

Here is a conclusion I have come to - too many people wear dark coloured coats. :rotfl:

All I could see was a sea of black or navy. Even my DILs coat was black, although she did at least liven it up with a brightly coloured paisley print pashmina......which I bought her for Christmas.

Me.....I wore my Winter White mohair coat, so cosy and warm and yes I stood out from the crowd. The other thing ......which happened purely by accident was the colour of my new carry on sized case.

I had ordered one in plum. When it arrived it was Barbie Pink. I decided I liked it so kept it. It was the source of much amusement, with taxi drivers, the hotel staff, in the Venezuelan restaurant today, fellow train passengers. Loads of people commented on it and teased me a bit. I just laughed at their ribbing and told them I was Legally Blonde....after the Reese Witherspoon character in the film.

So......with my white coat and my Barbie pink case I think I must have been rather noticeable. :rotfl: Maybe that is what helped break the ice, making me look approachable so that people found it easy to strike up a conversation. I am not sure but I have to say, hopefully without sounding too vain, I do prefer not to blend in too much with the crowd.

One of the things that can happen to women of a certain age is that we can become invisible. I have heard so many women complain about this. They say they get ignored in shops, restaurants and bars etc or worse they are fobbed off with second rate service. I think this can happen......if we let it. So my answer is .....do not blend in to the point where you become invisible.

Smell divine, put on some slap, style your hair, and wear your nice clothes. Dare to wear bright colours (ok maybe not Barbie pink:rotfl:)

Ban the beige and ditch the boring black!!!!

Unless of course it is a gorgeous little black dress that you have dressed up with some fabulous accessories. ;)
  • sugarbaby125
    edited 21 March 2018 at 1:36AM
    LL you and your daughter-in-law managed to have a very enjoyable weekend in London together and you were so stylish and colourful despite the snow :D

I have a black wool coat with a velvet collar and cuffs and my black faux fur cloche hat and black faux fur stole keep me really really warm and even though my leather gloves are black and so are my leather ankle boots, I am unable to be invisible in my weather proof outwear. In fact, it makes me even more visible in the extreme weather because it is stylish outerwear and draws the eye. ;)

I am always trying not to wear all over black for my clothes, but sometimes I will wear gorgeous fabrics that are black together, but normally I add splashes of bright colours to break up the black.

I went to my local Odeon cinema twice today. I went to see the film Mary Magdalene at 12pm and then to see the film 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri at 4pm. I used 2 of my Groupon Odeon e-tickets, so I did not have any further financial outlay as I had prepaid for them. I loved both of the films for completely different reasons.

I loved Mary Magdalene as it was depicting her as a very holy woman who was chosen to be one of Jesus's Apostles, which I found very edifying and enlightening. The actress playing Mary manages to portray an inner serenity, wisdom and Faith in God and Jesus that was inspiring. I would give this film a 8/10 :)

3 Billboards was a completely different film with lots of swearing which was not gratuitous and lots of violence that seemed appropriate for that time, that place and those characters. It had so many laugh out loud funny moments as well. The main characters were very well 'drawn'. I found the ending great, as rather than going for a neat ending that wrapped up the whole central story line it was an ending that left me wanting to know more. I would give this film a 9.5/10 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure