Add your feedback on energy supplier Extra Energy

Comments

• lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    The more I think about it, the dodgier my situation appears. On 1st Feb they apparently drew up an alleged final account. On the same day, they referred the alleged debt to a collection agency (according to said agency who told me that in a communication to them dated the same day I allegedly owed £98.44 rather than the £38.75 they told me). Needless to say I've heard nothing from them yet. Roll on eight weeks!

eta: Chaz, don't write off the small companies! I can't fault So Energy, excellent customer service.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Be aware that ExtraEnergy are now reporting to Experian. My account has started being reported for the past 3 months as £0 balance and green ticks even though I left them in September 2015 !
  • lisa110rry
    Thanks for that Molerat, I'll keep an eye open. I did have a discussion about the potential for that with the Ombudsman Service. I am in the happy situation that I have no need for credit at present (and hopefully in the future), having no mortgage nor intention to purchase or lease a car. Even my phone is purchased outright. But if they do blacken my character I suppose it will be another fight. I just wish they would reply to my letter.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • Farmerbob
    Farmerbob Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    molerat wrote: »
    Be aware that ExtraEnergy are now reporting to Experian. My account has started being reported for the past 3 months as £0 balance and green ticks even though I left them in September 2015 !

Molerat, have you spoken to them yet, I just checked my file and low and behold their now showing up on my Experian report despite leaving March 16 and having a 0 balance. I wonder if they just never closed the accounts off to make the customer numbers look better, it would not surprise me
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    Not just utility cos. do this...my credit report shows a loan from Santander with a green tick and zero balance...for a loan paid off in 2010:rotfl:
  • I was supplied by Extra Energy for 3 years and they have been the worst experience ever!

They send you bills on their re-estimates of your consumption without asking you for a reading of the actual consumption.

In the 3 years they ignored my readings and used their own "guestimates" they didn't attempt to send a meter reader round to verify the readings.

They ignored photos of the meter displays that I emailed them.

I complained and complained and event threatened them with penalties and fines - I did manage to get over £200 in compensation - however it took 3 months of chasing them to actually get the money out of them!

TIPS:
    1. Don't waste your time ringing them, they don't make any record of the call and later deny whatever they said to you.
    2. Always email them customercare@extraenergy.com
    3. When it gets beyond a joke email executivecomplaints@extraenergy.com
    4. Always submit monthly meter reading(s) taken on the same day of the month that your contract started.
    5. If they ask you to increase your direct debit, ask them for the proof that your estimated consumption
    6. has changed
    7. On two separate occasions I cancelled my Direct Debit - it took them 10 months of incompetence before they remembered to set it up again.
    8. If you think they have messed you around, tell them you want compensation for the time and effort that it has cost you.
    What made me leave was the increase to my tariff from 0.0856p per kWh and a daily charge of 0.5480p per day to 0.1658p per kWh and no standing charge that's an annual increase of £1,010.52 on a consumption of 12,000 kWh!

So what I'm really saying is, there are other suppliers who may charge you a little more, but don't let that stop you from moving
  • lisa110rry
    edited 19 March 2018 at 1:39PM
    Well, after my letters, and my response to their email (in which I stated they clearly had not read my letter and would they escalate my complaint), I had a telephone call during which I was asked could they close my complaint if they simply zeroed my account balance. I said I would like a nominal £10 to cover my costs, to which they agreed. I also said I would like an email to confirm this, which was received (though I haven't had the tenner and not really bothered, it was the email I wanted). Maybe the saga is over...
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • regis598
    regis598 Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2018 at 7:42AM
    I left them in August 2015 and today I discover that they have put my details on Experian. It is shown as an open account and when I spoke to them about it they insisted that the account was closed.

As usual it was a case of talking to someone who couldn't comprehend what I was talking about for twenty seven minutes.

When I contacted Experian they informed me that I had to go to MSE website to challenge the entry.

It would appear that EE will haunt me for eternity.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Why the MSE website to challenge the Extra Energy entry?
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • regis598
    regis598 Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2018 at 9:32AM
    Experian insisted that was the only way I could do it. The reason being that it was done through Credit Club and all he kept asking was do I want their web address.

This is the response I got when doing it through Experian.

Thank you for contacting us about your Experian Credit Report provided through MoneySavingExpert's Credit Club. This is an auto-response designed to help you access the right information for us to help you.

If you have a new query on your Experian Credit Report you will need to raise this through the 'Need some help' section when accessing your report.

https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub/login
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport