And now the fuse is lit...

Comments

• ZTD wrote: »
    And the final half-kilo of silver shrapnel has disappeared into the automatic cashiers at Tesco. It's funny, but it swallowed all of the funky, gunky coins, but rejected a nice silvery new 5p.

Next is the copper coloured shrapnel. I'm probably going against instincts, but I think I'll be using one of those Coin-o-rama (or whatever they're called) machines that take a 10% chunk.

Live is too short to be shovelling in 2kg of copper which will be worth about £3.48...

My bank has a coin deposit machine for such purposes, I took nearly £100 worth of change into the bank a few months back (having a pushchair is useful sometimes) and deposited it in the machine and straight into the bank I'm not a huge amount of time and no counting either.
    (I'm actually a little bit excited about saving up shrapnel to do it again at some point )
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    My bank has a coin deposit machine for such purposes, I took nearly £100 worth of change into the bank a few months back (having a pushchair is useful sometimes) and deposited it in the machine and straight into the bank I'm not a huge amount of time and no counting either.
    (I'm actually a little bit excited about saving up shrapnel to do it again at some point )

Unfortunately, my "surviving" bank/BS branches don't have that. I say "surviving" as so far, locally, I've lost 2 bank branches, and one building society.

Bit of a shame really, as it would be handy.

I've shovelled about £70 of silver into the automated checkout in total (a number of trips). A couple of kilos worth in total.

Given that there were 50ps in there, but the maximum value of the copper coins is 2p, the copper bags won't be worth too much money/time/effort IMHO.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ZTD wrote: »
    Unfortunately, my "surviving" bank/BS branches don't have that. I say "surviving" as so far, locally, I've lost 2 bank branches, and one building society.

That was very careless of you Zed. Do you remember where you put them?
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • ZTD
    Butti wrote: »

They're all in Durham apparently, which is difficult and time consuming to get in to.

Which is understandable, as the only reason Durham exists, is that it's difficult to get in to...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Shame on you Z, prepared to pay a machine to count your money for you :naughty:. Back in 'the day' I used to love emptying Peefer Pig and bagging up all the coins. The full bags got paid into the bank and paid straight off the mortgage. Part bags were emptied back into Peefer to keep on growing. Ah, happy days when I finally got full bags of 5p's and 1p's :D:D:D. Basically I treated it as a game - one of the many tools in my MF toolbox :).

Now I'm a treasurer for a local group and coins aren't bagged, they go in little plastic rollers which are different colours/sizes for each denomination and which make me very happy :D.

Durham is very hard to get into isn't it? But worth it when you get there :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I too like counting shrapnel and then getting full value for it :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,125 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Butti wrote: »

:rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • ZTD
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Shame on you Z, prepared to pay a machine to count your money for you :naughty:.

I wasn't for the silver, but I am for the copper.

According to the scales I have
    2,412g of 1p's or 661, or £6.61
    1,140g of 2p's or 160, or £3.20

So, over 800 coins worth in total less than a tenner.

If you want, you can feed them into the automatic checkout, and keep the 9.9%? At 1 second per coin, that's about 13 minutes, or a wage at a smidge over £4 per hour.
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Durham is very hard to get into isn't it? But worth it when you get there :T.

I wouldn't go quite that far - the hills do keep you fit though.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,125 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I wouldent either TBH.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    ZTD wrote: »

If you want, you can feed them into the automatic checkout, and keep the 9.9%? At 1 second per coin, that's about 13 minutes, or a wage at a smidge over £4 per hour.
    Yes please. I assume you're paying my air fair as well :D
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure