It's all fun and games until ...........

Comments

• Hi Brizzle - back indeed and now remembering what a drag waiting between paydays can be.......... However despite September being a VERY spendy month this month I think I may get through it without resorting to the CC's have raided the £45 that was sitting in my topcashback account and £37 that was sitting in my bank account rewards account - that is the best £2 a month I pay I makes me about £300 a year :-)

Doing well on the grocery challenge with 2 Aldi visits really making a difference - there are some things I just cant get there but I think the trick is to bulk buy those from Mr A via an online shop so Im not tempted to start picking up other stuff.

Its bizarre I'm so motivated to slash this debt so that I can spend my redundancy package on something that will make a difference to us as a family, i.e. doing stuff round the house, a special holiday, discussion of a motorhome have even been mentioned - the thought of using it to pay off debt makes me want to cry as I'm unlikely to ever get a sum of money like that again. So when ever I have a wobble on wanting to buy stuff I don't need or going to Waitrose for my shopping just cause its nearer I just imagine all that dosh going to credit cards companies and give myself a good slap............
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi Debs :)

Can I ask which bank account rewards account you have? At the moment I seem to be going around in circles - not sure which is the best account for rewards, or how to use Topcashback properly!

We used to have a motorhome and I loved it! Had to give it up when OHs disability became too much to cope with.

I think you're doing really well on all fronts, so keep your eye on the prize and you'll get there. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • scotdebs
    scotdebs Posts: 566 Forumite
    Hi Chrystal - Its the Royal Bank of Scotland Rewards account costs £2 per month and you get 2% cash back on 7 household direct debits so council tax, utilities, broadband, mobile phones etc it builds up in a separate account and then you can either take the cash or swap it for other "rewards" ie swap £45 for £50 Debenhams gift card. If you aren't based in Scotland then Natwest are part of same group and offer same type of account. I generally get about £14 a month back let it build up and that's almost an extra £200 for Christmas.
    Topcashback I really only use for things like switching insurance etc as that's where the biggest payouts are - so Ill use a comparison website to see what the best deals are and then Ill go onto topcash back to see if any of those suppliers have an offer and if they do I just click on the link in topcashback site and sign up. Also if you are planning to start an ISA or savings account there are some good cash back deals on there too. I also use it at xmas if Im buying from certain toy shops or website - Im not disciplined enough to check it everytime I buy something on line but if I did im sure it would soon add up. Just need to get in the habit ..... Hope that helps
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
  • Hi Debs - Good luck with everything! Will be subscribing to your journey.
    Credit Cards owed Jan 2019: £10,300, Argos Card: £110, Savings for Maternity (TTC): £950, NS&I: £200, Emergency Fund £700/£1000

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi, hope its going well debs. Just a word of caution I am having huge problems getting TCB to pay out for larger sums arising from using them for insurances etc. Like a year of waiting in one case...so just be careful

Have a good MSE ;) weekend x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • scotdebs
    scotdebs Posts: 566 Forumite
    oh brizzle that's not good - think the longest I have had to wait is 3 or 4 months but worth having a look at the stats on the average payout time before committing for sure
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Yes think its usually 5 months so pretty hacked off. May be a letter to the insurance companies concerned soon as TCB seem pretty unconcerned.

£153 plus another untracked transaction which I know I tracked through is the amount in question..
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks for the info Debs I'll look into it :)

Brizzled that sounds like a right palaver, and very unfair, how do they get away with it! Surely if enough people complain they'll have to do something about it. Are quidco any better?
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Chrystal wrote: »
    Hi Debs :)

Can I ask which bank account rewards account you have? At the moment I seem to be going around in circles - not sure which is the best account for rewards, or how to use Topcashback properly!

We used to have a motorhome and I loved it! Had to give it up when OHs disability became too much to cope with.

I think you're doing really well on all fronts, so keep your eye on the prize and you'll get there. X

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/GettingStarted

do you use a smartphone chrystal?

the best thing you can do is download the top cashback app on your phone, register for the site then login on the app. When you buy anything online search for the retailer.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • Chrystal wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Debs I'll look into it :)

Brizzled that sounds like a right palaver, and very unfair, how do they get away with it! Surely if enough people complain they'll have to do something about it. Are quidco any better?

Quidco are slower at paying out than topcashback i have an account with both.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback