14 years I feel Ive wasted,not sure how to cope

Comments

• spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    -taff wrote: »
    For flatpack fitting you usually only need a reasonable cordless drill, allen key and two screwdriver fittings, an ability to follow a diagram, and some swear time.

It's easy, I'd only consider it a two person job if you're putting together a sofa, or as above, a wardrobe...

I don't even use a drill. it's not really necessary. I have (IKEA funnily enough) a set of different sized screw heads - flat and crosshead. They do the job just fine.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • my-user-name
    my-user-name Posts: 267 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    spirit wrote: »
    I don't even use a drill. it's not really necessary. I have (IKEA funnily enough) a set of different sized screw heads - flat and crosshead. They do the job just fine.
    Your lucky,I haven't even got a screw driver lol (he took them with him because they belonged to him):(
    Ive always thought flat pack assembly was hard to do??they've just arrived so I might have a look at how to assemble them,I think I need to take a look on you tube,there must be something on there.
    I would feel so proud if I can actually do them myself!:T
  • spirit
    Your lucky,I haven't even got a screw driver lol (he took them with him because they belonged to him):(
    Ive always thought flat pack assembly was hard to do??they've just arrived so I might have a look at how to assemble them,I think I need to take a look on you tube,there must be something on there.
    I would feel so proud if I can actually do them myself!:T
    Yeah, go for it MUN.

A) it's very MSE doing it yourself
    B) it's very rewarding

take your time, read through the instructions a few times. lay out all the parts so you can see what you have got. Put the screws etc in a bowl and hey presto.

I had to get a lockable drawer for my work stuff (at home) 2.5 hours it took me to put it together. When done, the piggin thing wouldn't lock. Off I trot back to IKEA with it and they gave me another one. another 2.5 hours to put that one together and guess what..................

Yup, took it back and got one from staples. I couldn't be ar5ed to spend another 2.5 hours only for the same thing.

Unusual for IKEA stuff to have a design fault mind you.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I can't stand IKEA stores and yet I am always being roped in to assemble their stuff.

If it is too daunting head over to task rabbit

https://www.taskrabbit.com/how-it-works

I heard about them here some years ago, I have cut to the section on Ikea but worth watching

https://youtu.be/kTqgiF4HmgQ?t=409

1G6caBr.png
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • EdwardB
    Thanks Edward.I wont block her unless she keeps messaging me,I just found it very weird indeed.Im definatly not a regular forum member on Gransnet,Ive only ever posted a reply once and then this one which I did at the weekend.

The girl you mentioned,would she of had mental issues do you think??I wonder why she suddenly went from chatting to you to ringing you up and saying nothing,I would of hated that Edward,Ive had the odd one or two of silent calls and I didn't like it one bit.

As for Tinder,I suppose this site is good for people who want to meet up especially if they have unsocial hours but it would put the fear of God up me meeting them!you just don't know who your meeting.Dont forget,Catfish is one of my favourite programmes so I can see how it turns so wrong. However Ive mentioned my friend who found her fishie on Plenty of Fish so it works for some people but I cant see me ever joining anything like that..

Those 10 reasons are excellent Edward especially the boundary issues.as far as I was concerned I gave her good websites and links to look up so she didn't really need to speak to me because everything was on the links..I think maybe she wanted to share her problem with someone whos never heard it before.

I made friends with a lady on my Facebook page and she mithered and mithered for me to come and see her,her husband drove but she didn't.In the end I did go(80 bloody miles away!) we had a nice day but then she expected me to come and see her on my one day off from work every week.I nipped it in the bud when I went down one day to see her and she suggested I meet her daughter.She said she dosent live far and we can drive there........it was 40 miles away lol Never again lol
    Shes still my firend on Facebook but Ive not seen her for at least a year,I think shes realised I aint doing it again.Besides,I don't think my little jalopy would get me there anyway lol

Living room furniture arrives tomorrow,yay!! now I will definatly have to start my living room decorating.Its all the flat pack stuff and looks really modern,it will sooooooooo transform my living room.

I will need to look for a flat pack fitter to do it for me,Ive tried looking for a flat pack fitter in the local adds but nothings coming up,are they classed under a different name???

I could not say whether she had MH problems, to be honest she was lovely which is what made is such a shock and what made it even more weird was that she continued speaking to me and all the time I had said about this person calling.

Sorry if this is crude but I think Tinder is a meat market, it is friday night clubbing without the alcohol music or dancing. Actually, they drink alone at home until someone looks attractive enough which is even sadder! I never had to testify or anything, they had a prepared statement with a printout of the calls, I suspect she took a caution or something. Was some years ago.

Online dating is huge so I guess a lot of people find it works for them, I think it is 2d and I prefer 3d.

The problem with the granny stalker is you never know what her motive is or was, might of been perfectly innocent but who can take the chance these days.

I will look up that catfish, I do not get live tv so will hunt around youtube and around, a perfect opportunity to tease my friend!

I can relate to that long journey thing, they are not respecting you or your time.

So new furniture, now more decorating, I bet the finish will be better, you are in a much better place now and getting better each day.

Also good that there has been no more drama.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • my-user-name
    edited 8 March 2017 at 4:29AM
    EdwardB wrote: »
    I could not say whether she had MH problems, to be honest she was lovely which is what made is such a shock and what made it even more weird was that she continued speaking to me and all the time I had said about this person calling.

Sorry if this is crude but I think Tinder is a meat market, it is friday night clubbing without the alcohol music or dancing. Actually, they drink alone at home until someone looks attractive enough which is even sadder! I never had to testify or anything, they had a prepared statement with a printout of the calls, I suspect she took a caution or something. Was some years ago.

Online dating is huge so I guess a lot of people find it works for them, I think it is 2d and I prefer 3d.

The problem with the granny stalker is you never know what her motive is or was, might of been perfectly innocent but who can take the chance these days.

I will look up that catfish, I do not get live tv so will hunt around youtube and around, a perfect opportunity to tease my friend!

I can relate to that long journey thing, they are not respecting you or your time.

So new furniture, now more decorating, I bet the finish will be better, you are in a much better place now and getting better each day.

Also good that there has been no more drama.

No more drama Edward but the past 2 days have been a bit yucky I think.I haven't thought much about him at all.....until 2 days ago.:(
    Now I'm constantly thinking that by now he,ll be over the initial shock of moving out and will probably be enjoying his new place and freedom and getting used to his new life.
    Havent a clue why I'm thinking this way but I am.
    I'm keeping busy so its not as if I'm sat here thinking about him all the time on my own but for the past 2 days its been on my mind and I cant shake it off no matter how busy I am.
    Ive not mentioned this but since he left Ive only slept in my bed about 4 times and that's never during the week.Ive been sleeping on my settee since he left,I think(and only think) its because I'm scared to oversleep for work.This month I'm starting work at 8am instead of 9am so sleeping on the settee means I cant go into a deep sleep like I do in bed,having crappy sleeps on the settee does mean that I get up in time for work.
    It tends to be either Friday or Saturday that I do actually go to bed but even then I'm not sleeping through.Maybe this will pass but it is knackering me a lot.
    Maybe its just tiredness which is bringing him back in my thoughts once again.
    Seeing as its way past 3am I don't even think I,ll be sleeping on the settee,I,ll probably stay awake until its time to work.
    Just wish I could shake this yucky sickly feeling off,I only get it when I'm thinking of him.Hope Kirklees prediction about it coming back and biting me on the bum isn't happening :(
    Sorry for whinging

(The lady in the You Tube clip,I could listen to her all night!)
  • my-user-name
    Yeah, go for it MUN.

A) it's very MSE doing it yourself
    B) it's very rewarding

take your time, read through the instructions a few times. lay out all the parts so you can see what you have got. Put the screws etc in a bowl and hey presto.

I had to get a lockable drawer for my work stuff (at home) 2.5 hours it took me to put it together. When done, the piggin thing wouldn't lock. Off I trot back to IKEA with it and they gave me another one. another 2.5 hours to put that one together and guess what..................

Yup, took it back and got one from staples. I couldn't be ar5ed to spend another 2.5 hours only for the same thing.

Unusual for IKEA stuff to have a design fault mind you.

Hi spirit,
    What a ballache it must of been for you:(
    I keep looking at all the bits and bobs and it does look daunting but even if I do manage it I will still have to fix it to the wall(well one of the cabinets I,ll have to) and I wouldn't have a clue on that,I could end up bringing down the flats lol
    Shouldn't laugh should I ????
  • spirit
    Is it a freestanding or wall cabinet MUN?

with my chests of drawers, they put a wall fixing kit in, but to be honest, I don't do that bit as there are no little kids here to pull the drawers out and stand in them so they topple over.

If you've got a wall cabinet, that part I would get a handyperson to do for you. I've got someone up the road who does drilling type jobs for me. You might find one if you have a local parish mag, or maybe even your nice neighbour might know of someone?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Not necessary no, but for me, I have rsi, or the fancy termed upper limb disorder now. PLus, if any screws need screwing walls or holes drilling, I'm there!!
    [I do love a bit of DIY]
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • EdwardB
    No more drama Edward but the past 2 days have been a bit yucky I think.I haven't thought much about him at all.....until 2 days ago.:(
    Now I'm constantly thinking that by now he,ll be over the initial shock of moving out and will probably be enjoying his new place and freedom and getting used to his new life.
    Havent a clue why I'm thinking this way but I am.
    I'm keeping busy so its not as if I'm sat here thinking about him all the time on my own but for the past 2 days its been on my mind and I cant shake it off no matter how busy I am.
    Ive not mentioned this but since he left Ive only slept in my bed about 4 times and that's never during the week.Ive been sleeping on my settee since he left,I think(and only think) its because I'm scared to oversleep for work.This month I'm starting work at 8am instead of 9am so sleeping on the settee means I cant go into a deep sleep like I do in bed,having crappy sleeps on the settee does mean that I get up in time for work.
    It tends to be either Friday or Saturday that I do actually go to bed but even then I'm not sleeping through.Maybe this will pass but it is knackering me a lot.
    Maybe its just tiredness which is bringing him back in my thoughts once again.
    Seeing as its way past 3am I don't even think I,ll be sleeping on the settee,I,ll probably stay awake until its time to work.
    Just wish I could shake this yucky sickly feeling off,I only get it when I'm thinking of him.Hope Kirklees prediction about it coming back and biting me on the bum isn't happening :(
    Sorry for whinging

(The lady in the You Tube clip,I could listen to her all night!)

[FONT=&quot]It is perfectly normal that your mind will go back over things, it is early days and you are just processing, 14 years is a long time and a lot of habits are formed, so stands to reason you will to and fro.

Now that sleep thing is concerning because it is cumulative and we need a good night’s sleep, I find it really affects my productivity. I used to work for an American company and we were "expected" to work till their day ended, well I saw too many people burn out and declined to do it. I was one of the most productive people there.

I wonder if the bed avoidance is something subconciously to do with it being a former place where you were together? Although, if that were it I would expect it to be the same for the weekend. As I said, loss of sleep is cumulative, so the longer you go without the more the impact.

I think you are going to go back and forth from time to time, but the tiredness may affect your desire to focus on other things.

I know that sickly feeling, I have been told it is subconscious anxiety, bit like the way you lose your legs when you see something really shocking like a child on a resuscitation trolley.

I think you should try to tackle this sofa thing; this weekend put an alarm you can depend on in your bedroom, it must me out of arms reach so you have to get up to turn it off. This won't always be the case but because you are already run down there is a chance you will turn it off and drift back into sleep. If you do not have an alarm get a cheap one this weekend till you find something better.

Not sure if you were kidding about Rachel, she is a bright cookie and was years ahead when you think her videos were made 5+ years ago, she is one of those lucky people that has a job in an area that she clearly loves.

Now I would not worry about thinking about Mr Ex, you have already shown you are detaching at a healthy rate and it will take time. I am sure that you found with your loss after your parents there were times when you dropped back into a sorrow moment.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Remember that as each day passes you will feel better and[FONT=&quot] better[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    So assembling this IKEA furniture will be quite cathartic in that it will probably drive you nuts, you will get to 85% and realise you have put one piece on backward so have to dismantle everything and start over. You will then get to 95% and realise you are missing a screw, or that the instructions are for a different one in the range. So by the end of it you will be ready for a punchbag or just be so mentally exhausted that you will get a decent night’s sleep[FONT=&quot]![/FONT]

[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure