NCT AnteNatal Classes

Comments

• mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    I found the NHS hugely inflexible, personally. Moreso than the NCT.
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I found our NHS classes to completely ignore the fact formula existed - was made very clear that any questions even regarding the USE of the stuff would be looked upon harshly, and very very ignorant to anything that might need to happen intervention-wise during labour and birth... apart from the "pass the forceps around, look traumatised and vow you'll never let those things come near you" session - no mention of things like forceps, cesarians, epidurals and the like... just lots and lots of moving around during labour and the like.

Meant that rolling in and being told NOT to move around during even latent labour, and having to do the whole thing lying on my back REALLY resembled everything covered in classes!

I guess if you've got a spare few hundred quid to pay on the offchance you might make some friends - go for it, but I just don't think sharing a due date with people means you've automatically got the basis for a friendship and there are other ways to make friends with other parents if you hook into stuff that's going on in the local area.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • Gillby1
    Gillby1 Posts: 659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Plus I've got a sneaking suspicion that the NCT attracts mafia mums and they're not my cup of tea * :D

Ha ha Fluffnutter! I met a great group of friends at my NCT class, and we're the least mafia-type mums you could ever meet! In fact, i reckon we'd all secretly like to be a bit more mafia We're a real mixed bunch, and all independently made a real effort to get to know and take care of each other, regardless of background and class. :p

I would honestly say that meeting up with my NCT friends post-birth kept me sane at a time when i was absolutely exhausted and overwhelmed by my new responsibilities:eek:. We're still regularly in touch a few years later, and arrange to meet up with and without children and partners as often as possible. Obviously not everyone is so lucky, but for me the NCT classes were worth what we paid for them ten times over (for info, they cost approx £120 at the time). I'm so glad i didn't listen to those who told me NCT mums are all snobby/hippy/cliquey types, as my experience has been so far removed from that!

Also, our classes did at times focussed on techniques for achieving a natural, active birth, free from pain-relief - but isn't that we all hope for? They aren't telling you that you're rubbish if you don't manage to avoid an epidural/c-section/screaming like a banshee - just giving you some tools that may help you to avoid it in the first place! Our class also discussed all forms of pain relief, and thankfully fully explored c-sections and assisted birth methods too - both of which i have now experienced :rotfl:

Lastly, the breastfeeding class was absolutely wonderful for me, and i believe it made my feeding experience a pleasure from day one, but it was also totally optional, and no-one judged two members of the group for deciding it wasn't for them.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do xxx

Gilly
    Debt free date: October 2006 :money:
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My NHS classes were fine ( the ones I attended ) my only gripe was how late they were and the fact they were 2 hours long. So all in 10 hours over 5 weeks. Plus the seats were very uncomfortable.

They were informative, open minded and most of all free. I did look into NCT but decided it wasn't for me.

Both breast and bottle feeding were discussed and in my time in hospital I didn't ever feel under pressure to breast feed, in my hospital all they cared about was baby being fed. :) xx
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • mysk_girl
    mysk_girl Posts: 803 Forumite
    I did NCT classes, I can't remember how much we paid but I think it was about £150. The social side of it was definitely the big bonus, there were only 4 couples in mine and we still meet every week nearly 5 years later. We somehow managed all to have our second children within 3 months of each other, and two of us are currently pregnant with no.3! Although I have to say, the practical side of the class was a bit "no drugs no intervention" style, but I had heard it would be and took it with a pinch of salt. In fact, out of the 4 of us there was 1 C-section (planned, breech baby), 1 forceps + shoulder dystocia, 1 3 day back-to-back labour with evey drug under the sun (mine, sadly!) and 1 ambulance rush to hospital with preeclampsia and a very swift induction. We all survived!

So I would recommend for the social aspect, take the advice on board but recognise that things don't always go to plan and be flexible!

Our second set of 4 children was 1 C-section (again planned breech baby for the same mum), 1 stop-start-stop 24 hour with epidural, 1 forceps again, and 1 2hr labour pool birth (I got lucky second time round!). So out of 8 babies, only 1 matched the NCT ideal.
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia Posts: 286 Forumite
    It really depends on what you want from the class. If you want facts, stick with the NHS. I don't know whether all NCT classes at the same but bottle feeding was a taboo subject at ours. One dad-to-be asked about bottle feeding if breast feeding wasn't working out - the tutor looked at his as though he had 2 heads. We very briefly covered complications but most of the time was spent practising visualisations and breathing, neither of which were at all helpful to me when I ended up in theatre having an emergency forceps delivery.

If I'm perfectly honest, I felt an absolute failure because I didn't have the 'gold standard' gas and air fuelled water birth the NCT bang on about. I also had to quit breast feeding after a couple of weeks due to severe anaemia and other complications - our classes never accounted for this so another 'fail' for me... and some of the other Mum's.

As a midwife I wouldn't recommend NCT classes as couples are often unprepared for the reality of birth - the exception being if the NCT teacher is a midwife. This is purely an observation. The NCT do some fabulous work. Their classes are great for meeting people and this is mostly why people choose them and it is a real positive. However, most children's centres have so much going on locally that it is much easier to make friends when you have had your baby.

I would suggest doing a bit of research. Have a look at private antenatal classes with midwives as well. Just google antenatal classes in your area and see what comes up. Good luck with your pregnancy and birth.
  • AMC1979
    AMC1979 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Can i just point out though, that you dont HAVE to join the NCT to go to ANY of their groups (breastfeeding support, etc) or to their sales... i know they are a charity BUT you CAN just pay on the door as it were... about a quid or two per group.

Good point –I don't think I realised this to be honest. I just paid the £40 without really being sure what I was getting. I'm not sure you get much – apart from a magazine every now and then.

My midwife kept nagging me every time I saw her about antenatal classes until I finally managed to sign up. I don't think they understand if you don't think they're worth doing ...

Have to say am a bit apprehensive about the whole breastfeeding thing. The midwife gave me a booklet at my last appointment last week (was at 29 weeks) on breastfeeding and said that I would 'be asked questions' on it next time (?!) I opened it up later and there were many close ups of breasts and nipples etc. No mention in the booklet anywhere of 'what if you don't want to breastfeed' or bottle feeding, etc. I don't think it's going to go down very well if I express my resistance to it to the midwife/when I'm in the hospital after labour. But I really am not that keen. I would certainly consider expressing milk but I don't want to breastfeed. Is that really so controversial?
  • mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    AMC1979 wrote: »
    Have to say am a bit apprehensive about the whole breastfeeding thing. The midwife gave me a booklet at my last appointment last week (was at 29 weeks) on breastfeeding and said that I would 'be asked questions' on it next time (?!) I opened it up later and there were many close ups of breasts and nipples etc. No mention in the booklet anywhere of 'what if you don't want to breastfeed' or bottle feeding, etc. I don't think it's going to go down very well if I express my resistance to it to the midwife/when I'm in the hospital after labour. But I really am not that keen. I would certainly consider expressing milk but I don't want to breastfeed. Is that really so controversial?

It is, unfortunately.

The NHS aren't allowed to promote bottle feeding. At the end of the day, formula isn't poison but breast is best for baby - especially in the very early days - so it makes sense that they promote it.

I only attempted expressing a handful of times, and stuck to standard breastfeeding for just over a year (once we got the hang of it it was extremely easy, but it did take about 6 weeks to properly establish). I do know of women that have expressed milk (it's called "exclusive expressing") and take my hat off to any woman who manages that. You have to be rigorous about expressing every 3-4 hours, day and night, as well as the hassle of sterilising bottles and warming milk in the middle of the night for feeds, carrying expressing kit with you etc. It seems to be much harder than just breastfeeding (if you're physically able to).

I don't get why women can't get their heads around boobs and nipples and breastfeeding - that's what they are for!!!
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    would also agree with mildred actually. I expressed for 3 weeks (for numerous reasons breast feeding didn't work out) and along with having a newborn I was physically and mentally exhausted with it all. It is doable but I found it knackering.
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • I think it would be a struggle to express enough milk for a baby. it is the sucking that stimulates milk production and the pumps don't really have the same effect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure