New VED is the dealer obliged to inform?

2»

Comments

• Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    rule wrote: »
    Dealer says that cars can't be registered before they arrive to the dealership ? They did offer me the chance to cancel (not sure if they are bluffing ) asked them to see what they can do and send me an email outlining the response and inform me about the cancellation procedure...

But you have already turned down the option to cancel so I would expect it to be quite onerous.

Just grin and bare it it will be the same for all other new cars!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    They did offer me the chance to cancel (not sure if they are bluffing ) asked them to see what they can do and send me an email outlining the response and inform me about the cancellation procedure...
    Not sure why you think they would be "bluffing".

You ordered a factory-order car, without thinking about the potential for a mild slippage in delivery taking into the long-publicised change in VED.
    You are now complaining about that mild slippage.
    You have two choices... Accept the car, or cancel the car.

You want a third choice - register the car in advance of delivery. They are saying they cannot/will not (which it is is irrelevant) do that, so that choice does not exist.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I ordered a car in January - I discussed build dates and potential slippage and hand wrote on the contract that the order was conditional on registration on or before 31st March.

The dealer also said that if the delay became close then they could register the car without having physically received it - so check with someone higher up n the dealership as your salesman doesn't seem to know the tricks of the trade.

You could also ask if they have any pre-registered cars that meet your needs - with a suitable discount to compensate for the trouble.
    :hello:
  • rule
    rule Posts: 29 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Not sure why you think they would be "bluffing".

You ordered a factory-order car, without thinking about the potential for a mild slippage in delivery taking into the long-publicised change in VED.
    You are now complaining about that mild slippage.
    You have two choices... Accept the car, or cancel the car.

You want a third choice - register the car in advance of delivery. They are saying they cannot/will not (which it is is irrelevant) do that, so that choice does not exist.

The order was placed with the dealer promising that they would meet the initial expected period (verbally) , I have then chased written confirmation about the date a couple of time but didn't get them (should have known best).
  • rule
    I ordered a car in January - I discussed build dates and potential slippage and hand wrote on the contract that the order was conditional on registration on or before 31st March.

The dealer also said that if the delay became close then they could register the car without having physically received it - so check with someone higher up n the dealership as your salesman doesn't seem to know the tricks of the trade.

You could also ask if they have any pre-registered cars that meet your needs - with a suitable discount to compensate for the trouble.

I also agreed on the date but didn't place a cond offer or didn't have it written on the document that we signed it says desired delivery date February , but is desired (not agreed) surprising that your dealer says that , mine says that they cant do it . contacted DVLA and DVLA reckons that it needs to be in the UK, anyway have to bite the bullet I guess..
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The order was placed with the dealer promising that they would meet the initial expected period (verbally) , I have then chased written confirmation about the date a couple of time but didn't get them (should have known best).
    And what did the order Ts & Cs say (in writing) about delivery dates?

You seem to think that the dealer have some influence in when the factory build your car and how long the logistics chain takes to deliver it. Where is it being built?
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Your dealer might have their own rule about not registering vehicles until they actually arrive. Perhaps they've had issues in the past where the VIN they were supplied in advance turned out to be different when it actually arrived, for example. You'd imagine modern record-keeping might make that impossible, but experience trumps all.
  • rule
    AdrianC wrote: »
    And what did the order Ts & Cs say (in writing) about delivery dates?

You seem to think that the dealer have some influence in when the factory build your car and how long the logistics chain takes to deliver it. Where is it being built?

The T&Cs are a completely different story you are right, I have no misconceptions that the dealer has full control of delivery dates / slippage and events during the delivery but I was led to believe that the delivery date period was certain, anyway it is what it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure