Travel - Missed pre-booked train due to cancelled Taxi

Hi all

I ordered an Uber to take me to the train station to meet a pre-booked train on an advance ticket. Pickup time was 15 minutes. No problem, except the driver cancelled the journey mid-way through this time. A new Uber would take another 15 mins, and bus and local rail would not get me there in time either factoring in the now busier roads.

To make the train I drove in and parked up. But, I missed it by 1 minute, so I had to buy a new ticket £62. Parking for 48 hours was £37. Plus £10 admin fee on the cancelled tickets (assuming my refund is accepted), all in all, out of pocket by ~£100 (~£140 if not).

My Nationwide FlexPlus travel insurance told me they couldn't consider the claim as I was staying with a friend and not at a hotel, and American Express told me I didn't miss anything so the claim wasn't valid (wasn't sure about that particular advisor's response, I may have another try as I wasn't satisfied with that).

Worth a small claims if all else fails?

Many thanks

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Not worth all the hassle for a small claims action.
    You were cutting everything too fine & missing your train was largely down to that.
    Leave yourself more time...........
    My opinion only of course.
  • darkh0rse
    darkh0rse Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes SCC is a hassle.

08.15 taxi cancelled at 08.25 and I got in my car at 08.30 to make an 09.07 that almost worked.
    Infuriating really.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    darkh0rse wrote: »
    American Express told me I didn't miss anything so the claim wasn't valid (wasn't sure about that particular advisor's response, I may have another try as I wasn't satisfied with that).

What does the small print in the policy say? You missed a train after all.
  • darkh0rse
    I should have a good read of their T&Cs.

Yes only a train, but It was a pre-booked train to attend an event, I had to spend quite a bit to ensure I didn't miss it, everything had been planned, event and train tickets bought etc.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
    [QUOTE=darkh0rse;72278424

My Nationwide FlexPlus travel insurance told me they couldn't consider the claim as I was staying with a friend and not at a hotel, and American Express told me I didn't miss anything so the claim wasn't valid (wasn't sure about that particular advisor's response, I may have another try as I wasn't satisfied with that).

Worth a small claims if all else fails?

Many thanks[/QUOTE]

Surely your insurance should cover your extra expenses which you had to pay because of Uber's actions.

Or go onto Uber Twitter and complain loudly.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely Uber shouldmbe your port of call since the taxi was ordered.

You did leave it a bit short in the eventual possibilty of this happening.
  • darkh0rse
    Uber already stated they don't cover any extra costs such as this and had no interest in compensating in any way.

Local taxis had been unreliable in the past. Haven't had an Uber cancel on me before so it was just typical timing.

With the rush hour, and booking at 08.15 as I did, I should have been there with 20 minutes to spare. Not a huge amount of time but certainly not cutting it fine.

The Amex claims have an online claims service which gave me an opportunity to provide full details and paperwork for everything. I've tried submitting a complete case with them, took about 30 minutes.

If they decline I guess I'll have to take this one on the chin or face the faff of SCC, I have successfully defended a small claim before and was awarded costs but it is a real faff.

Cheers all.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes SCC is a hassle.

08.15 taxi cancelled at 08.25 and I got in my car at 08.30 to make an 09.07 that almost worked.
    Infuriating really.

If the pickup time was 08:15 with a 15 minute waiting time then they would have got to you at around 08:30 which is the same time that you left anyway.

So you were cutting it extremely fine and considering that you would have driven faster knowing you were late then the taxi probably wouldn't have made it on time either even if it had arrived.
  • darkh0rse
    Well, I almost agree takman, but you are forgetting the fact I had to drive further to the car park, park and then get to the station as opposed to a simple drop-off. ;)

Either way we can all agree more time could have been left. I had been up since 06.45 getting ready for the day so it's all just rather annoying.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    My Nationwide FlexPlus travel insurance told me they couldn't consider the claim as I was staying with a friend and not at a hotel
    What does your policy say about this? I can only find the summary on line and it says UK trips must be more than 25 miles from home and for 2 or more nights.

You'll also need to read the missed departure/connections part as some only provide cover by scheduled public transport.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure