PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Welcome to 2018 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 3 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 and 2017 threads, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! Last year 55 of the 60 books I read fully for pleasure were over 300 pages long, 5 were what I would describe as lightweight, perhaps 35% fiction and the rest factual. Many books I started remain unfinished, and I have some cracking fiction on my shelf which deserves my attention this year!

Recently, I’ve found myself having to justify my likeness for books and my ever-expanding collection (people seem to think that shifting over 1,000 of them might have put me off the literary cause somewhat). In simple terms, if you need to remind others of what reading brings, here’s a neat explanation: This is How Reading Benefits Your Health.

Happy reading in 2018, and remember:

0dd2b4babdf570c4b5b59b61975cf892--book-quotes-funny-book-worm-quotes.jpg
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• thanks for this years thread VfM4meplse I have just finished a Christmas novel, the cosy Christmas teashop by Caroline Roberts. an ok read its not as good as her first novel but an ok read. I give it 6/10. happy reading
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    thanks for the new Thread Vfm4me.

the goodreads challenge is on again this year
    Clicky

I have gone for a conservative 48 books this year.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've just finished 'All The Missing Girls' by Megan Miranda, it's very cleverly written in a reverse-order timeline and a good plot twist at the end.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 January 2018 at 3:31PM
    The four books I want to read in January are:

Watching the English - Kate Fox

The Well-Tuned body - Penny Ingham (Alexander technique book)

A Stranger in the house - Shari Lapena

Mastermind - Maria Konnikova, I have read the first chapter of this one.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    The four books I want to read in January are:

Watching the English - Kate Fox
    Recommended :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Happy New Year, happy new thread :j

Just finished this one:

17924407.jpg

Elijah, seven years old, has a history of disruptive behaviour. His adoptive mother Nikki believes that she and her husband Obi are strong enough to accept his difficulties – and that her being white will not affect her ability to raise a black son.

Very easy to read, ie written in disarmingly simple prose, which makes its difficult content almost unbearable as it confronts you head-on. :(

9/10
    as I wish it had ended differently. :(
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Hello 2018 thread :-)

I’m starting the year with a goal of 40 books (not including picture books which I read for work!) and I’m beginning with The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
    Money saved for Christmas 2018 £6/£500
    No more Buying Books challenge - read 2 books 2017-18
    January NSDs - 3/15
  • Just finished Penny Vincenzi's new book "A Question of Trust".
    All the characters are a bit "OK Yah" as is usual in her books, but the storyline is good and it's a real page turner. Enjoyed enormously and will probably read it again in the future. 9.5 out of 10.
    Normal people worry me.
  • I’ve nearly finished A Question of Trust too. Really enjoying it. I would agree with 9.5/10
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Book1 for 2018
    34863666.jpg

A good second of the series. A well thought out plot, good characters and the main character is flawed but ultimately likable.

Next is:

34091173.jpg
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts