Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    If you are not happy, cancel.

Cancelling is the best way to get the best deal - outbound Retentions can knit be accessed by cancelling. Inbound Retentions do not have access to the best deals.

The woman I spoke to was helpful and insistent that was the best they could offer so I eventually accepted. I'd be ok paying that amount but not when others are paying £20 less. I'd be happy with even the new customer price.

Will come up with some comparisons and mull it over this weekend. I have no intention of leaving so at least I've got that offer to fall back on.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    knack92 wrote: »
    The woman I spoke to was helpful and insistent that was the best they could offer so I eventually accepted. I'd be ok paying that amount but not when others are paying £20 less. I'd be happy with even the new customer price.

Will come up with some comparisons and mull it over this weekend. I have no intention of leaving so at least I've got that offer to fall back on.

It was true - it was the best offer she could give on her system. Putting in your notice changes your status and opens different offers from a different team.

You can see from here and other threads the types of offer available once you put in your notice. I have no desire to leave either, but put in my notice to play their game each year.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The woman I spoke to was helpful and insistent that was the best they could offer so I eventually accepted.
    If you have already accepted the deal then you will now be tied into a new minimum term contract. No amount of "mulling it over at the weekend" will extricate you, I'm afraid. You are too late to cancel (or even threaten to) for another year or more. There is no "cooling off" period for retention deals.
  • Anon
    Options
    If you have already accepted the deal then you will now be tied into a new minimum term contract. No amount of "mulling it over at the weekend" will extricate you, I'm afraid. You are too late to cancel (or even threaten to) for another year or more. There is no "cooling off" period for retention deals.

Are you sure? You are entering into a new 12 month contract and therefore don't normal contractual rules apply?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are you sure? You are entering into a new 12 month contract and therefore don't normal contractual rules apply?
    No. Existing customers are not given a "cooling off" period for retention deals. The Op may even be tied into an eighteen month deal.
  • Anon
    edited 4 March 2017 at 2:03AM
    Options
    No. Existing customers are not given a "cooling off" period for retention deals. The Op may even be tied into an eighteen month deal.

That is not the advice their staff give on their forum - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Can-I-change-my-mind-after-retentions-deal/td-p/3146351

I have just taken up a Retentions offer and was looking to tweak it, so had been looking into it before calling to know what rights I had.

I wonder if there are different rules for inbound and outbound Retentions deals?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That "superuser" is not correct. Not staff, by the way, just a keen forum volunteer.
    I have just taken up a Retentions offer and was looking to tweak it, so had been looking into it before calling to know what rights I had.
    I doubt you'll get the opportunity to "tweak".
  • knack92
    Options
    No. Existing customers are not given a "cooling off" period for retention deals.

For how long has this been the case as it certainly wasn't last February when I received a retention deal.
    wrote:
    The Op may even be tied into an eighteen month deal.

Not from my interpretation of the offer I've accepted. I didn't seek clarification on this though and the person I spoke to didn't say so, nor did they say I was entering a new contract.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I didn't seek clarification on this
    Clearly you need to do so!
  • knack92
    Options
    Clearly you need to do so!

The £x for 9 months £y for 3 months was enough for me to be satisfied it is 12 months but I'll be double checking this now! Not that it makes much difference if what you say is correct about not being able to cancel.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback