PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,926 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Got a tub of HM Steak & Kidney Casserole out of the freezer for tomorrow's dinner. Put a tub with two helpings of HM Pie in the fridge - will do me for dinner - Mr F is away on business. I have LO roast potatoes in fridge too so easy meals.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/325
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 76
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi there, I've taken out a bag of leftover cooked pork, a pack of turkey mince and a pack of chicken breast fillets. The pork will be made into sweet and sour and the turkey and mice will be made into a chilli. I will get 4 large portions out of it so 2 will be eaten today and tomorrow and 2 will be frozen for next week. My freezers are bulging and I really need to get them down before Christmas or I will never fit my turkey in!
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I've just had a sort out of my freezer and found a gammon joint. The use by date was June and it says on pack if frozen it should be used within one month. Obviously its way past that! Do you think it will be ok to use?

thanks
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,926 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No freezer movements.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/325
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 76
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just had a sort out of my freezer and found a gammon joint. The use by date was June and it says on pack if frozen it should be used within one month. Obviously its way past that! Do you think it will be ok to use?

thanks

If it helps we are still using last years gammon joints and beef joints and mince. It may not be perfect quality anymore but it will be perfectly edible.
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooh welcome back, was going to see where everyone was!

I'm back on this, desperation measures..
    Don't have much stock in but using up what I have so got plenty of pulses and grains to make things with...
  • barneydee_2
    Options
    Got to sort my freezer out as I can not get anything in there, so going to be eating out of it I till Christmas Eve , at mil for Christmas Day as it is the only day I get of & I am not spending it cooking all day, having the family round Boxing Day after I finish work so will be doing. Buffet which I can probably knock up with what I have got in the fridge/freezer & cupboards
    Love this thread
    Dee x
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • Mrs_Veg_Plot
    Options
    I have a large chest freezer and it is rather full. I did however freeze all of the leftover food from Christmas day and the family buffet that I hosted that I knew would not get eaten before it spoiled, so I know there is the makings of lots of different meals in there.

Currently defrosting a YS side of salmon for tonight's tea. Will serve it with mash and carrots and lots of home grown green beans from the freezer. I will also make a dill sauce to go with it as I dried a lot of dill and have a large jar of it in the cupboard that needs using up.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cleaning the fridge out for the New Year this morning, I came across a half-empty bottle of maraschino cherries that my OH bought two years ago and steeped in brandy with the intention of making Christmas sweets with them. And there they've sat ever since. Half got eaten in a late night fridge raid by our son about 18 months ago, but as for the rest, nothing. So, this morning, I had to decide whether to fling them or finish the job he'd set out to do himself over two years ago. Luckily, there was the rag end of a bar of chocolate in the fridge, so I've now got a very small row of boozy cherries in chocolate sitting in the fridge - and a small but powerful half-tumbler of cherry liquer in a glass that I'll use to go in the trifle I was planning to make later today anyway. And the spirit of Christmas rides again!!!
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I really should start to mark things when they go in the freezer, been looking for what to have tonight and there's all this stuff wrapped in neat plastic bags, everthing looks the same when it's frozen.

ahh freezer roulette, my favourite game!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure