Leaving a job is a breach of a "permanent" contract...

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP's account has been hacked?
    If you check the posting history you wouldn't think so :)
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Comms69 wrote: »
    If you check the posting history you wouldn't think so :)

Oh, yeah.:(
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Boris - I didn't know where else to put it, but limiting rights and wages helps create more jobs, which in turn would naturally increase wages, also it means cheaper products and services for the end customer - not everyone is a worker but everybody is a customer (ie pensioners, etc)

Scot - you do describe one method of motivation, although not the only one, as one example fear works well too - in America a lot of workers don't even take their annual leave, also after a long time at a company an employee might both take it for granted and be taken for granted, I have to consciously think back to previous jobs to remind myself, other people I've worked with havent had a worse experience and seem more miserable because they don't know they've got it good

Elsien - if employer and employee had equal rights, the employee could fire the employer for breach of contract/misconduct and could make them redundant if they could prove they had an alternative income or didn't need the money. It's just making it equal for both sides

Comms - I intend to drive the same car and live in the same house even when I'm a millionaire :) I can't stand inefficiency or waste, and I'm used to living a miserly life
  • System
    Diamondis - your first assumption is the correct explanation, I enjoy philosophical debate
  • Comms69
    Boris - I didn't know where else to put it, but limiting rights and wages helps create more jobs, which in turn would naturally increase wages, also it means cheaper products and services for the end customer - not everyone is a worker but everybody is a customer (ie pensioners, etc)

Scot - you do describe one method of motivation, although not the only one, as one example fear works well too - in America a lot of workers don't even take their annual leave, also after a long time at a company an employee might both take it for granted and be taken for granted, I have to consciously think back to previous jobs to remind myself, other people I've worked with havent had a worse experience and seem more miserable because they don't know they've got it good

Elsien - if employer and employee had equal rights, the employee could fire the employer for breach of contract/misconduct and could make them redundant if they could prove they had an alternative income or didn't need the money. It's just making it equal for both sides

Comms - I intend to drive the same car and live in the same house even when I'm a millionaire :) I can't stand inefficiency or waste, and I'm used to living a miserly life
    any eta on that?
  • System
    Comms - working backwards, if my fund keeps doubling every 5 years...

5 years before 1m I need 500k
    10 years before I need 250k
    15 years before need 125k
    20 years before I need 62.5k
    25 years before I need 31.25k
    30 years before I need just less than 16k
    35 years before I need 8k - that's where I'm at

That's if I make no extra contributions (although I will) - behold the power of compounding
    And I'm young enough

Google Vanguard global small cap...
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

in America a lot of workers don't even take their annual leave

This isn't because they love their job or their employer but because they are afraid they will get sacked for taking that leave.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

You can 'fire' your employer whenever you like. You just hand in your notice. You don't have to prove anything. You just have to honour your notice period (as do they) although they may offer to waive this. So I'm not quite sure what you're saying that's any different to what already happens.

Employees in the US don't fail to take their Paid Time Off (it's not holiday... it can be used for sick leave or holiday) quite as much as UK urban myth suggests. For a start, they may need to reserve some in case of sickness/caring responsibilities etc. as they only get a single allocation to cover the lot. And they do take holiday, but it's not the norm to take 2 consecutive weeks as it is in Europe. Many US employees are on contract at will (can be dismissed with no notice) or on two weeks' notice - these apply on both sides and create a culture of uncertainty. Notice periods are usually negotiable when employees resign, as if people are moving on they will often offer a handover period of a week or two, so the effective date of resignation is in the future even if there is no requirement for it to be.
  • System
    Bad memory - that's what I'm trying to say, fear is a cheaper way to motivate people than paying them well

Greenbee - I'm suggesting making it so that you can only fire the employer on the same terms they can fire you, making it harder to leave
  • Comms69
    Comms - working backwards, if my fund keeps doubling every 5 years...

5 years before 1m I need 500k
    10 years before I need 250k
    15 years before need 125k
    20 years before I need 62.5k
    25 years before I need 31.25k
    30 years before I need just less than 16k
    35 years before I need 8k - that's where I'm at

That's if I make no extra contributions (although I will) - behold the power of compounding
    And I'm young enough

Google Vanguard global small cap...

It's a hedge fund. It's certainly not guaranteed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure