Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2017 at 11:38AM
    Completed my move away from E.ON (due to non competitive prices at the end of a collective deal). Final bill has been produced 14 days after the leaving date so small credit due back within 10 days.
    Quick turn around and the final bill was exactly as expected.

Over the two and a quarter years of being a customer, the only minor complaint has been the direct debit being moved upwards when not necessary. But you can adjust that online yourself.

@Malc/Helen E.ON Reps
    Seeing all the changes being done to the look of the website, I'm glad to leave as the new look makes for more mouse clicking to get where you want to be. Not a fan of this new look at all.
    If you get price competitive I would return in the future though but I'd still hate the website look :) .

Quick update to say that the credit balance was repaid into bank account 7 days after the final bill was produced.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Completed my move away from E.ON (due to non competitive prices at the end of a collective deal). Final bill has been produced 14 days after the leaving date so small credit due back within 10 days.
    Quick turn around and the final bill was exactly as expected.

Over the two and a quarter years of being a customer, the only minor complaint has been the direct debit being moved upwards when not necessary. But you can adjust that online yourself.

@Malc/Helen E.ON Reps
    Seeing all the changes being done to the look of the website, I'm glad to leave as the new look makes for more mouse clicking to get where you want to be. Not a fan of this new look at all.
    If you get price competitive I would return in the future though but I'd still hate the website look :) .

Sorry to lose you gsmlnx and that you're not impressed with the new website layout. Happy to feed this back.

Glad the switch went as it should and that we looked after you during your time with us (Direct Debit apart that is).

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • GVW
    GVW Posts: 1 Newbie
    I tried to switch to them over a month ago. Nothing much happening - except they keep trying to take over my neighbors supply. They obviously refuse - so I can't switch???
    Contacting E.ON is a nightmare. E.mails take 5 days to get a useless bland reply. Live chat waste of time -they know nothing. Telephone - over 30 mins to get an answer. Then he was useless.
    Now can't switch to another supplier because "switch is in progress".
    Who said switching supplies was easy?
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    GVW wrote: »
    I tried to switch to them over a month ago. Nothing much happening - except they keep trying to take over my neighbors supply. They obviously refuse - so I can't switch???
    Contacting E.ON is a nightmare. E.mails take 5 days to get a useless bland reply. Live chat waste of time -they know nothing. Telephone - over 30 mins to get an answer. Then he was useless.
    Now can't switch to another supplier because "switch is in progress".
    Who said switching supplies was easy?

Hello GVW and welcome to the Forums.

Sounds like there could be a problem with the information held by the national databases. These databases hold details of the electricity and gas meters in the country and are used by all suppliers when arranging a switch. This includes the address details, supply numbers and meter serial numbers. A discrepancy here could lead to the sort of thing you describe.

Don't worry, if this is the case, it can be put right but only by the existing supplier. Industry rules stop any other supplier from changing these details. Please contact your current supplier and confirm your full postal address including the post code, the supply numbers (on your bills) and meter serial numbers as they appear on the meters themselves. They'll be able to update the databases so switches can go ahead.

I'm sorry you weren't impressed with our contact channels but hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello Eggatha and welcome to the Forums.

I'm sorry you feel your complaint has been poorly handled. As you're not happy with our response/resolution, you've done the right thing in referring this to the Energy Ombudsman. Their decision will be binding on us but not on you....

Just to clarify the situation, the ombudsman's resolution is only binding upon a supplier IF the customer accepts such resolution in full and final settlement of the complaint.

It would appear from this other thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5665198
    that Eggatha has now elected to reject that proposed resolution from the ombudsman too.

So that's the end of it ... unless Eggatha gets a court order (and I can't see that happening)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Eon just gave me a huge shock! I transferred to another supplier in February when my deal came to an end. But today I got an email saying my bill was ready to view. WHAT? I am still able to log in so checked and it is confirmed the account is closed with nothing owing. Phew. OK a glitch but please Eon no more - my heart won't take it!
  • Eggatha
    Eggatha Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thank you for linking to this thread Malc- I'm still getting the hang of navigation on here :)

When I eventually got to the bottom of what happened, it transpired that EON had set up two accounts with different numbers. We paid a bill over the phone using a debit card (the bill itself was unexpected, as we'd understood that we'd been on a dual fuel direct debit scheme and we knew that we'd had been paying direct debits). Unknown to us, the call handler apparently applied the payment to the wrong account before merging the accounts together, and we have been told that the disputed balance was never paid off when we made the payment. As you have said, any balance owed should have been transferred to the live account when the accounts were merged; we understood that the payment we made cleared the disputed balance before merging took place so there was no debt to transfer. EON now claim that they didn't apply the payment made to the in-debt account. Obviously we have no way of checking that, because the account ceased to exist as far as we knew- until the day that the letter threatening action for non-payment arrived, over 3 years later.

The above is a very, very long story cut short, and summarises a protracted correspondence with a complaints department who couldn't understand the case at all. It worries me greatly that nobody in the complaints resolution team (or, presumably, the account management department) could understand their own payment and accounting system until I pieced things together from our own documents.

Frankly, I'm sorry that I ever bothered looking through my own documentation in a bid to resolve it, because as soon as I unearthed the possibility of EON having mismanaged payments to the two accounts and messing up the merging process, a member of the complaints team transferred funds without our agreement from our live EON account (not bank account) to pay the disputed bill. We have still never seen any evidence from EON that this amount was ever actually owed- as far as we were concerned, we'd paid the bill three years previously and had a receipt for it- let alone given options to pay off in installments, as the regulations state we should have the chance to do.

The licensing standards oblige suppliers to review accounts annually, and update customers with new payment arrangements. Over a period of three years, EON failed to notify us of any outstanding debt (debt that we couldn't possibly have been aware of, since we'd been given a receipt for paying it) and I believe that this therefore breaches their licensing agreement.

That said, my concern now is the bigger picture. I had understood that we were protected by the back-billing regulations and the licensing standards. However, it would appear that suppliers have free rein to mismanage payments and accounts, fail to meet their obligations to annually review accounts, and demand enormous sums many years after customers have paid the bill, as long as the original bill was sent within 12 months of energy use.

I will be reporting what I believe to be a breach of the licensing standards (failure to review accounts annually) to OFGEM- I know that they cannot intervene in our particular case, but they should have the opportunity to investigate EON. I will also be asking OFGEM to consider protecting consumers by extending the back-billing regulations to prevent customers being forced to pay for a supplier's accounting error which is over 12 months old. Finally, I will be contacting as many consumer groups as possible to raise awareness of this loophole, as I don't think customers are aware of the limitations of the back-billing regulations.
  • Eggatha
    Eggatha Posts: 7 Forumite
    Just to clarify- 'account' referred to our EON account rather than bank account. Eon transferred funds from our live EON account to pay a disputed sum on an account which we had been told had been fully paid up 3 years previously , and as far as we knew no longer existed. They didn't take money from our bank account.
  • Wolf3
    Wolf3 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Whilst i agree it doesn't sound like you have been treated well Eggatha, i think you might have a slight misconception.
    I believe the back-billing regulations relate to live accounts which you say have been paid by a Direct Debit. Whereas closed accounts with no live gas or electricity can be chased for outstanding balance for up to 5 years. If that amount was outstanding on the closed account when the accounts were merged they are able to pursue that payment.
  • SpotlandRules
    SpotlandRules Posts: 192 Forumite
    My transfer over to EON and their v9 tariff, went live on 7 June. Since then, I have been contacted about going onto their vulnerable persons registered and have also been allowed to set up a password, that I can request all EON callers to give, before allowing them access.

I have given them weekly readings, two statements have been issued, both of which have been spot on.

For my estimated usage, my TCR is 14.85p and is the cheapest I have been paying in a very long time.

Although early days, very happy so far.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure