EDF SunPlug free solar PV panels

I've been in touch with the guys at SunPlug which is a new initiative backed by EDF for installing Solar PVs at homes without any upfront cost. Basically they will install and manage all the kit for free but you pay 9.9 per kWH for generated energy. Also any unused energy goes back into grid which we get paid for on a export tariff and it will make the cost 7.5p net (instead of 9.9 average use). Also this will be a 20 year lease where you tie up with them for energy and it is transferrable from new owner when it comes to sell your house. Looks quite interesting to me, anyone looked at this?

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hiya, I know that this type of PV lease is quite popular in America, and is to an extent similar to a UK PPA (for businesses) where a company installs the PV, then charges the customer a lower than average leccy price.

But ..... would this carry the same concerns as the RaR schemes that currently exist, particularly for re-sale? Perhaps, being a big energy company it would be ok, but (as you are doing now) I'd do the homework and see what you can find out.

Is buying your own PV system not possible?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • LightsourceRE
    LightsourceRE Posts: 1 Organisation Representative
    Hi there, thank you for your interest in Sunplug. This response is on the behalf of Lightsource Renewable Energy. We’re partnered with EDF on the Sunplug project.

We want to assure you that the Sunplug initiative has been designed specifically to comply with the guidelines from the Council of Mortgage Lenders. This means that we don’t register any charge or restriction against the property. Thanks to this, in most cases with all major lenders, Sunplug won’t cause any legal issues when selling the property.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Lightsource. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,440
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi there, thank you for your interest in Sunplug. This response is on the behalf of Lightsource Renewable Energy. We’re partnered with EDF on the Sunplug project.

We want to assure you that the Sunplug initiative has been designed specifically to comply with the guidelines from the Council of Mortgage Lenders. This means that we don’t register any charge or restriction against the property. Thanks to this, in most cases with all major lenders, Sunplug won’t cause any legal issues when selling the property.
    LightsourceRE since you are a rep, you will need to speak to MSE about getting a special rep account.

If you don't then any posts you make (no matter how helpful) will be regarded as spam.

Welcome to the forum. :)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite

Other Rent-a-Roof companies have had their lease agreements approved by the Council of mortgage lenders, so it is agreed that it is meets all legal requirements. However it is not binding on mortgage lenders and, from the reports on MSE, many have simply refused a mortgage.
    This means that we don’t register any charge or restriction against the property.
    What does this mean?

Mr Smith takes up your system offer and after a couple of years decides to sell his house to Mr Jones who doesn't want your system. So what happens?
  • geek1981
    geek1981 Posts: 184
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Mr Smith takes up your system offer and after a couple of years decides to sell his house to Mr Jones who doesn't want your system. So what happens?

From my understanding you have the option of buying out the system from Lightsource (can be anytime after 12 months). I think it cost around 5k after 12 months.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,230
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    If it's true that there is no charge or restriction against the property then it means that Mr Jones is completely free to ignore any contract that Mr Smith may have signed. Of course it may not be true :D
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,522
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2017 at 5:38PM
    geek1981 wrote: »
    From my understanding you have the option of buying out the system from Lightsource (can be anytime after 12 months). I think it cost around 5k after 12 months.

When I was looking at Solar panels in 2011 E.ON offered me free ones I could buy out at any time.

Installs at that time were costing around £10,000 to £12,000.

My buy out cost after 12 years would have been £13,000:eek:

I decided not to take up the offer:D
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,187
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

I really don't like this bamboozling with legal terms. As far as I know, registering a charge on a property (most often as part of a mortgage) merely means that if the property is sold then the charge-holder gets paid out first. Similarly restrictions can be placed on selling the property when such are registered. What the post doesn't tell us is whether there are other (unregistered but still contractual) restrictions as part of the agreement. After all this does look a lot like a pretty standard loan or HP type agreement to pay for panels. In which case as soon as a business isn't being fully open about precisely what they are offering, and I have to ask for clarification, then that is my warning sign to run a mile and not to turn back.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

Hiya. Am I right to think that this agreement is more of a PPA than the rent-a-roof model?

For myself, I consume about 1,500kWh of the PV I generate. My import price is 12p/kWh, so this deal would save me 2p/kWh on those 1,500kWh's, or £30pa. The saving is pretty small, especially if there may be some re-sale issues on the property, and I assume some contractual agreement lock-in to the purchase of PV units?

I'm not against such schemes, the more options the better, however I'd assume that this is being marketed as a way to save on leccy bills, when it should really be promoted as a way for environmentally minded folk to get PV installed if they can't afford to do so themselves, giving a small saving + low carbon generation.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure