Last Share you Bought?

Comments

• Chargem
    Chargem Posts: 69
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    lvader wrote: »
    I plan to buy and hold around 50 of the FTSE 100 companies for the long term, I have about 20 at the moment and the plan is to buy more as and whe dips/ corrections occur. I bought Morrisons last week.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get an FTSE100 tracker for this, or do you specifically dislike something about 50 of the FTSE100?
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,001
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 April 2012 at 11:24AM
    Chargem wrote: »
    Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get an FTSE100 tracker for this, or do you specifically dislike something about 50 of the FTSE100?

Maybe lvader prefer to hold shares itself to potentially gain from any corporate actions, it may be ethics as well, problem with oil, mining, beverages, banks and potentially any sectors as well! If you got problem with environmental, defence, health and financial areas, then you could exclude many of these companies. Lastly, FTSE100 can be overweighted in one area like financial services and it may not be entirely diverse equally over sectors.

In FTSE 100, in the industry sector, there are as follows:

Three Aerospace & Defense
    One Auto-mobiles & Parts
    Five Banks
    Two Beverages
    Two Chemicals
    One Construction & Materials
    One Electricity
    Seven Financial Services
    One Fixed Line Telecommunications
    Three Food & Drug Retailers
    Three Food Producers
    Five Gas, Water & Multi-utilities
    Two General Industrials
    Three General Retailers
    One Health Care Equipment & Services
    One Household Goods & Home Construction
    Two Industrial Engineering
    One Industrial Metals & Mining
    Six Life Insurance
    Five Media
    Twelve Mining
    One Mobile Telecommunications
    Two Non-life Insurance
    Four Oil & Gas Producers
    Two Oil Equipment & Services
    One Personal Goods
    Three Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology
    Four Real Estate Investment Trusts
    One Software & Computer Services
    Eight Support Services
    One Technology Hardware & Equipment
    Two Tobacco
    Five Travel & Leisure
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    TSLA - Tesla Motors

Already made 42% from trading during volatile periods and a couple of weeks ago a large holder sold his holding causing the share price to drop 8%. Bought in. Now just waiting for some good news to bring it back up.
  • lvader
    lvader Posts: 2,579
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Chargem wrote: »

I like a lot of the FTSE companies for ease or trading and good dividends but I recon i can do much better than a tracker by managing it myself. I like to be able to buy stocks when a buying oportunity comes up like Tescos after the big drop. Equally if an individual share takes off i can sell to lock in some profits.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 795
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't often buy individual shares but this year I have bought Tesco, SOCO, and James Cropper. The latter doing well, Tesco so-so an SOCO badly.

I'll reassess same time next year.
    "I don't mind if a chap talks rot. But I really must draw the line at utter rot." - PG Wodehouse
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Ionica......groan out loud.
  • King_Weasel
    King_Weasel Posts: 4,381 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2012 at 3:01PM
    Just topped up on Std Chtd @ 1480p (closed @ 1497.5). Also bought Spirent for first time @ 158p (closed @ 172.75).

Hope to sell Std Chtd at 1620 or so, last reached on 21 March. Will sell more @ around 1670 or buy more @ 1430 on present plans.

Will hang on to Spirent.

This is not advice.
    However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 495 Forumite
    darkpool wrote: »
    what broker do you use to buy your yank shares? you not get bothered by the US holding taxes?

yeah, they yield 12.5%. not exactly the most secure divi though....

i use iii.co.uk - costs £15 instead of their usual £10

the US pay dividends net of tax to the UK investors, but to be honest, my holdings aren't big enough to cause me trouble.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Emed mining a few months ago. A bit up and down, I reckon it's low on uncertainty rather than anything else, and hopefully if the rights to restart this mine in Andalucia are granted in the not too distant I should be on to a winner. The Chinese have bought a 10% stake, and Goldmann Sachs have got involved so I'm in good company :p
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Cadogan Petroleum ...... unfortunately, at the mo ...... but will hold on and hope .......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure