Ongoing Issues with Bank Account

Hi,

I'm with Halifax and I have a current account with them that whilst holding a small amount of money (around 3-4k on average) is relatively busy with payments being made to and from the account daily.

Over the past number of weeks there has been an issue with both the Halifax website and app. Halifax denied any issues and when I provided proof on my side they accepted there was a problem. A little bit of buck passing has started with browsers etc being blamed, however the problems seem to arise on a number of browsers.

I submitted a complaint after several attempts due to issues with the Halifax site over one week ago, yesterday they advised no such complaint was received to which I had to forward the automated response email as proof.

Today I have had to spend time sending screen shots/photos of error messages on the app and site. Generally I would call the bank but due to issues with staff members hanging up on customers, Halifax advised it would be better to self manage my account online.

As of today the issue is being investigated by a Complaint Manager, however what are my rights with regards to this and has anyone else had similar experiences?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Cotta wrote: »
    what are my rights with regards to this
    You have the right to move your business elsewhere if you're unhappy!

The Current Account Switching Service makes it straightforward to exercise this right and the incentives offered by some of their competitors make a compelling case to do so....

Not sure what you really have in mind by 'rights' though - if their technology has bugs in it (and it will) then if that causes you unavoidable and quantifiable financial loss then they ought to offer some sort of compensation, although they wouldn't actually be obliged to. Or is it just inconvenience, it's difficult to say with your rather vague reference to unspecified 'issues'?
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    There won't be any form of recompense from the bank and they have eight weeks to resolve the issue.

They have advised that I will need to call them or visit a branch to manage my account - issue has been closed off.

Thanks for your help.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Why would you hold 3-4K in a Halifax account? It seems you could better employ the money elsewhere earning interest and fund the Halifax account to cover payments necessary.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Cotta
    datlex wrote: »
    Why would you hold 3-4K in a Halifax account? It seems you could better employ the money elsewhere earning interest and fund the Halifax account to cover payments necessary.

That's the next job.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    As you aren't paying for the account, you only really can get a goodwill payment or refund of actual losses.
  • Cotta
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    As you aren't paying for the account, you only really can get a goodwill payment or refund of actual losses.

That's a very valid point, however Halifax have offered nothing - problem is still on-going so I will have to leave it at that.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Cotta wrote: »
    That's a very valid point, however Halifax have offered nothing - problem is still on-going so I will have to leave it at that.

I would move elsewhere, if sufficiently annoyed.

Remember Lloyds, BOS and TSB (to a lesser extent) all use the same systems so may have similar issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure