Stupid deposit and mortgage calculator question

Hi all,

I have a really stupid question.

I am looking at applying for a 90% mortgage with a property value around the £300,000+ area. I have been using a variety of mortgage calculators to work out how much I can borrow. So, when a mortgage calculator states "you can borrow up to £300,000" does that figure include the 10% deposit that I have specified is available to me?

In the above example, to buy a house, will I have...
1. £300,000 (including 10% deposit)
2. £330,000 (including 10% deposit)

Many thanks,

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Does the calculator ask how much deposit your are intending to put down? If not it's more than likely one based on affordability, i.e. how much you could potentially borrow. Though this is subject to the lenders policies and criteria. Along with the actual product that you may wish to apply for.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The word 'borrow' is the giveaway.

That is talking about the mortgage, as that is what you borrow.

If it said you can 'buy' for a certain amount it would be adding your borrowing power and your deposit together and making a maximum purchase price...
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • MK__2
    MK__2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    As kingstreet says above - they will lend you what you need to borrow. The price of house you can afford = what you can borrow + your deposit

Something to note though - Don't take the calculators as gospel, it's only an indication of what they might be able to lend you. When they look at your credit file, everything can change.

When I bought my current house, I had no bad credit at all. No mortgage, no loans, no cards, nothing. But I also had no good credit history (due to no loans, no cards, no previous mortgage..). So all of those "we will lend you £xxx amounts" on the calculators suddenly went out of the window, and lots of the mortgage products were not available to me, because lots of lenders wont touch you unless you've got a decent credit file.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Affordability calculators on the intermediary sites are quite reliable. They do have to be correctly completed though.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • NRAMageddon
    NRAMageddon Posts: 12 Forumite
    Excellent news. Big thanks to all for the info.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure