MSE News: BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport

Comments

• I did never recieve a letter from BT telling me about the price rise, i rang them today to cancel and they say its gone 30 days from the date they allowed. Is there a way i can still cancel as they want £467 to cancel.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I did never recieve a letter from BT telling me about the price rise, i rang them today to cancel and they say its gone 30 days from the date they allowed. Is there a way i can still cancel as they want £467 to cancel.

escalate it as a complaint. Phone or online chat as usual and say you wish to raise a complaint. THe complaints team were very good in dealing with my complaint (see thread : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5613544 )
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Interesting! Ofcom requires the provider to "allow its Subscribers to withdraw from their contract without penalty", as I'm sure you know, and will have argued. Whether losing the connection/activation fees counts as a penalty is, I suppose, arguable - but it's an argument worth pursuing.

Certainly no harm in pushing it to Ofcom, and I think a lot of people would be very interested in the outcome.

Theres certainly no harm in submitting it, but a refund would be highly doubtful. I'd still submit the complaint to Ofcom, as it costs nothing to do so, but in my opinion wouldn't be pursued.
  • I did never recieve a letter from BT telling me about the price rise, i rang them today to cancel and they say its gone 30 days from the date they allowed. Is there a way i can still cancel as they want £467 to cancel.

We had the same as posted further up. We are now in deadlock as they insist an email was sent. We know the email was never received as we've done an email recovery request to Gmail and there was definitely no email from BT on the day in question. We are now going to take it to the next stage. We were just three days after the 30 days when we contacted them and they point blank refused to budge.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is your GMail address the one you use for BT login ??
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Is your GMail address the one you use for BT login ??

Yes and we've confirmed with BT that it is the address they supposedly sent the email too
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 12:42PM
    Asked to be allowed to transfer contracts due to price rise . Was given a month to do so penalty free ( expires 21/3/17) . BT have just come back to me with an offer that puts me on a cheaper deal than current deal and BT Sport at £1.75 PM .Slight negative its a 24 month contract . But of course any price increase within that contract gives me a get out clause again .
    Thats unlimited Inf 1 + Line Rental + BT TV Entertainment Plus + BT Sport SD .
    circa £30 pm no April increase + BT Sport from August 2017 £1.75 pm .
    Thats a couple of quid less than i am paying now and last contract was cheaper than the contract 2015/16 .
    The two price increases would have pushed the price to £40 pm .
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    How are people who canceled doing with their line rental refunds?

I have received a partial refund on my "final bill" of my broadband charge for the unused period of my last month which was a pleasant surprise.

However no mention of a line rental refund? So far I have online chatted who avoided the subject until forced and then insisted no refund and then when I quoted stuff said a supervisor would call me sometime?

Hmm. I wonder is it just me or does everyone have to fight for it?

(Still a bit grumpy over the non refundable £60 setup fee too but I did make a small profit so perhaps should not be).

Thanks
  • mnbvcxz
    Oh if anyone needs to quote it the link to the relevant forum post is;
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-price-changes-April-and-August/td-p/1709458/page/18

(At the bottom of the page). Thanks Doc N for the link somewhere deep in this thread.

guardian article
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/22/bt-refuses-refund-prepaid-line-rental-cancel-service
  • mnbvcxz
    Oh they did call back. On our mobile oddly. India I would say. Insisted that as I left outside the 30 days from when the notification email was sent I deserved nothing. The fact I notified them I was leaving within 30 days and its not my fault it takes time to migrate did not seem to register.

End result as I was not happy with his answer the next team up will call me tomorrow evening?

I have to say I'm not convinced the first line support are actually able to do anything at all. They can just read you your existing bill and come up with theories on why it must be correct. Actually changing or correcting something does not seem to be an option.

Ah well onwards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport