PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

silly tip thats working for me ..

Options
Hi Guys

so some of you might remember I was on a few weeks ago saying that I was going to stick to 1 weekly shop (I was going nearly everyday and spending a fortune) .. well I have just about managed it and it is saving me a fortune ... all meals planned and shopping list in hand.

at first I was just buying my normal milk but found I have to pop back in for a milk and bread top up .. well last week I swapped to long life milk and just bought extra and put an extra loaf in the freezer which I have been using for toast straight from the freeze and the other "fresh" loaf for sarnies .. bang gone is that need for a mini top up mid week

I know this is proabaly really obvious to you guys but im oving it ;)

Lisa x
DFW
January £0/£11,100

NSD
January 1/31

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done for taking control of your shopping this way! Those regular mini top up shops can really devastate a budget.

I keep a tub of Marvel (other brands are available) dried milk in the cupboard - this is very handy if I am running low on fresh milk but need to make a cheese sauce or some custard. I also add a little dried milk to bread dough or home made yogurt, so it's doubly useful to have.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I'd rather either buy extra milk and freeze it or buy a top up. Long life milk has a funny taste to it that I'd prefer to avoid if possible.
    Whatever works for yo though. :)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    Well done you :)

Yep those daily shopping trips are the way to blow the budget

The lass I work too is always claiming poverty but she just can't go into a shop for milk, she'll buy biscuits, a magazine, a sweet or toy for her children, a jar of jam etc etc , her pint of milk comes to £20 every day:eek:
  • Saver0811
    Saver0811 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    I've been doing this for years, but low fat longlife milk in the fridge tastes much better and lasts a week opened. If you defrost slices of bread under a plate, they remain moist,
    Google is your friend.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done - I am another one that can't just buy the item I have gone in for.

I make work sandwiches with frozen bread, it defrosts before lunchtime :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Saver0811 wrote: »
    I've been doing this for years, but low fat longlife milk in the fridge tastes much better and lasts a week opened. If you defrost slices of bread under a plate, they remain moist,

Thanks for the bread tip hun .. I did wonder what it would be like defrosted :)

they guys are even saying how its fab because we always have loads of stuff in .. yay x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I need to stop wasting bread. I like wholemeal and Mister CJ annoyingly only eats white bread so I'm buying two loaves a week which we obviously don't get through. I keep meaning to get organised and divide each loaf into thirds and freeze the slices, but never quite manage it.

This weekend, I will do it :)
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I keep the old plastic bags the bread comes in, shake out the crumbs, make sure they are thoroughly dry. Immediately after buying a new loaf, I divide it in 2, and pop one half in the freezer in a reused bread bag. I usually buy 5 loaves at a time, so I have 1 half loaf in the cupboard or fridge, and 9 half loaves in the freezer. I reuse the bread bags until they develop holes.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I changed to using LL milk about a year ago and now never bother with fresh milk at all.Its saves me chucking out milk as I have never had it go off and I always buy a box of half a dozen at a time which costs about £4.00 odd depending where I buy it.Only keep one carton at a time in the fridge open and the rest sits in the cupboard so I free up space in the fridge As I live alone a carton easily lasts me a week ,before I used to have to either bin milk or be making custards or puddings to use it up.

I make a point of menu planning every Sunday morning and using up the fresh stuff before buying anything else in.I shop about every 10 12 days ,or if I can about twice a month for fresh stuff fruit, veg etc. I don't eat bread so crackers store for without going off.I normally use a philly type spread on the crackers so rare need butter, although I keep some in the fridge for baking. My late OH used to call a top-up shop the five pound loaf :):):) as you would always get tempted by something else. I am more of a make do with what I have got in stock now than I used to be .I am not a lover of shopping much anyway I went last Saturday and have enough now to last at least another week to the end of the month. Different I guess if you have a house full of mouths to feed though
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    I need to stop wasting bread. I like wholemeal and Mister CJ annoyingly only eats white bread so I'm buying two loaves a week which we obviously don't get through. I keep meaning to get organised and divide each loaf into thirds and freeze the slices, but never quite manage it.

This weekend, I will do it :)

Hi, sorry to ask but you are not aiming to freeze each slice separately are you? It might just be the way I have read it :o That will take ages.

We always freeze half a loaf here. Take a handful of slices which is about half a loaf. Pop in food bag twist top and put a peg on it. Pop in the freezer. Job done. When you want the other half just take the frozen loaf out of the freezer. The bread defrosts just as it would be if bought fresh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure